Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurances, and other boring season stuff for a ski bum...

Poster: A snowHead
Fellow SHers,

I would like yet more advice, please! I keep asking this site for help, and it delivers, so I shall keep on asking in the hope that the experience here can rub off on me...

I will be spending my first ski season out in the PDS, and this is a self-funded affair; I will not be in employment, so all insurances need to be sorted out by me. Also, as I will be between jobs in the UK, I will not have private health insurance provided by a UK employer.

Online searching has been a little inconclusive, so does anyone have any advice for sourcing the following:

- season-long travel insurance to cover winter sports, and medical bills/repatriation should something go wrong
- decent car insurance to cover a UK car on the continent for 4 months (my current provider are tricky about this, with a 90 day maximum)
- insurance to cover the cost of a helicopter evacuation from the mountain (does the Carte Neige cover this)?
- home/contents insurance for the apartment

and anything else I have forgotten?

Quality is the key here - cost (within reason) is less important.

Any help or tips from you French season veterans would be greatly appreciated by both me (and my fellow SH season housemates too, I suspect!).

Also, I have decided that my Defender is a poor vehicle for the Alps, given woeful heater and lack of proper seating. It is probably getting sold for a junior 4x4, like an X3, Subaru Legacy Outback or similar. Shame, as I love the car, but it really is pathetically bad on motorways, snow tyres in the right 4x4 size will cost me a fortune, and the heating/demisting is dreadful. Something modern just makes more sense. X3 3.0 or 2.0d Sport with a roof rack for skis is probably the one; available for about GBP6k (i.e. a lot less than my heavily modified Land Rover can be sold for). Looked at Range Rovers/X5s etc. but just realised I probably did not need something so big and pricey to run.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Harry Flashman, For travel insurance I use this, you can extend the single trip policy up to 18 months.

You don't need a 4x4. I drive a petrol Mondeo hatchback, last used chains three years ago when I made the mistake of parking on sheet ice. Skis go inside, I don't have a roof rack.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BMC for travel insurance. Any decent ski insurance will cover heli rescue costs.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For car insurance I use LV, their European cover (£19.90 IIRC) gives you 180 days abroad. Ditto Nationwide (same as LV, quote goes thru LV).

MPI offer season insurance which includes off piste, and if it is of any help, when I had to be repatriated with a broken ankle I was impressed with the way they handled the claim and repatriation etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
Harry Flashman, For travel insurance I use this, you can extend the single trip policy up to 18 months.

You don't need a 4x4. I drive a petrol Mondeo hatchback, last used chains three years ago when I made the mistake of parking on sheet ice. Skis go inside, I don't have a roof rack.

62 day maximum and more expensive than BMC policy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Harry Flashman, Depending on where you are a local Alpine association may prove better. I am doing a season in Austria and the Austrian Alpine Club also gives you use of huts and rescue insurance (pretty much worldwide) for under £50. I use a Subaru Forester for travel, it'll cope with most conditions, you can get an older one quote cheap and they seem to go on for ever.

Breakdown, I've decided not to bother with that this year. I've never needed it for cars in all these years, always fixed the odd small problem myself or found a local garage (bikes are a different story). On a trip over 90 days you almost treble the cost, I'll just fund any repairs myself.

The car insurance is proving tricky for myself also.... found a few useful links but some are asking over £700 Shocked I paid under £300 last year for up to 90 days.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=704973
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow, The single trip policy isn't limited to 62 days, comparing start dates of mid December to mid April the BMC policy looks to be twice the price.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Avalanche Poodle, is taht from the UK branch of the Alpenverein? Somehting like €20 if you go to one of their offices/shops here. Doesn't cover travel/cancellation costs though, or equipment/valuables.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm I've just started looking at my insurance, 22 days in January then 46 later in the season. With MPI, will ring them I think, online quotes look high.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs wrote:
Mike Pow, The single trip policy isn't limited to 62 days, comparing start dates of mid December to mid April the BMC policy looks to be twice the price.

Odd that the single trip policy can be extended and the multi-trip can't.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999, It's the UK membership of the Austrian Alpine Club, £43.50 for full adult membership.

Oh, I've phoned up my existing insurance as they were one of the cheapest, they have spoken to the underwriters and for a fee of £95.40 they have extended my European cover to 109 days. It's a bit steep but cheaper than an unlimited policy which I wouldn't end up using.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If anyone joins the AAC due to my post please let me know, I can get a voucher for recruiting new members, it's a bit like a cult Toofy Grin and I need supplies for my season.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs wrote:

Just did the compare & contrast

Single Trip
Europe
Full cover
15 Nov 13 - 15 Apr 14

BMC = 396.66

Snowsports England = 438.01 (Bronze); 669.87 (Silver); 771.79 (Gold)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow, I guess it depends on what you consider "Full cover", I get a SSE quote of £159.22 for the Bronze policy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjs wrote:

Snowsport Gold comes in at GBP285 for 10 Dec 2013 to 10 April 2014, which seems reasonable for an entire season with a carrier used to winter sports cover. Silver is 247, and Bronze 163, which is very good value, but I would need to check the policy properly to see what I would not be getting compared to the higher levels. If medical/injury cover is comparable, bronze would be a good option - don't need cancellation cover, will not need property cover as will have a home insurance policy as well.

I need to fully check the details of the coverage, but freestyle is notably excluded unless you are a registered performer (I am not) - and I worry that an accident in the park would not be covered. I don't intend to become a park rat, but would like to know that messing around in the half pipe or a small jump would not be taken without some sort of injury insurance.

Will research further and get quotes for comparison.

As for car - I know, a 2wd with winter tyres on would be fine, and a very cheap option. Thing is, I need a 4x4 for activities in the UK too (mainly shooting), and something hatchback with folding seats (so estate body better) - hence the Defender I use at the moment. Its replacement will need to be 4x4 too, with decent ground clearance. This rules out Audi Avant Quattros and other 4x4 road cars (Allroad etc excepted).

Thanks for all of the tips everyone: hopefully this thread will be useful not just to me, but to the others heading on their first season...
snow report
rjs wrote:
Mike Pow, I guess it depends on what you consider "Full cover", I get a SSE quote of £159.22 for the Bronze policy.

This - Mike Pow seems to be getting quoted very high figures...Mike, are you looking at instructor/performer level cover? Recreational seems a lot cheaper...
snow conditions
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
Harry Flashman, Depending on where you are a local Alpine association may prove better. I am doing a season in Austria and the Austrian Alpine Club also gives you use of huts and rescue insurance (pretty much worldwide) for under £50. I use a Subaru Forester for travel, it'll cope with most conditions, you can get an older one quote cheap and they seem to go on for ever.

Breakdown, I've decided not to bother with that this year. I've never needed it for cars in all these years, always fixed the odd small problem myself or found a local garage (bikes are a different story). On a trip over 90 days you almost treble the cost, I'll just fund any repairs myself.

The car insurance is proving tricky for myself also.... found a few useful links but some are asking over £700 Shocked I paid under £300 last year for up to 90 days.

Avalanche Poodle - this would be great if the French did something similar. Will have a look. Also, whatever I get needs to cover me skiing in Switzerland too, given that I will be in the PDS and heading over to Verbier to see a friend who is spending the season there.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:

The "Black" option to cover ski touring, ski mountaineering, cat skiing, heli skiing.
snow conditions
Harry Flashman wrote:
rjs wrote:

This - Mike Pow seems to be getting quoted very high figures...Mike, are you looking at instructor/performer level cover? Recreational seems a lot cheaper...

Info as above, recreational.

Choosing the "Blue" option reduces the prices to

201.94 (Bronze); 308.27 (Silver); 354.49 (Gold)

But with that much time on snow I'd be looking to do one or all of ski touring, ski mountaineering, cat skiing, heli skiing.
ski holidays
Thanks Mike - useful.

Another thing - what European SIM only price plans does everyone use? Want something for text messages and brief calls (extensive calls and e-mail access will be with Skype, in the evenings). For that matter, what UK contracts allow decent text/voice services abroad?

Shall do some research myself, but hoping to shortcut it if anyone has some good ideas...
latest report
Harry Flashman, The AAC covers sking, climbing and other mountain related sports worldwide apart from the Antarctic and above 6000 metres http://aacuk.org.uk/p-faqs-insurance. Couple that with a basic travel insurance if you wish for possessions etc to be covered and it may tick the boxes.
snow conditions
Harry Flashman wrote:
Avalanche Poodle wrote:

Avalanche Poodle - this would be great if the French did something similar. Will have a look. Also, whatever I get needs to cover me skiing in Switzerland too, given that I will be in the PDS and heading over to Verbier to see a friend who is spending the season there.

It covers you in france, and pretty much anywhere else in the world too.

One thing I think it DOESN't cover (not 100% on this though) is non mountain sport accidents. I believe, for example, if you had a car accident driving to the slopes to ski your medical bills/repatriation would be covered, driving to a bar/restaurant/cinema/whatever it wouldn't. I'm not certain this is the case, but it's definitely worth checking. I understand it to be mainly rescue/medical insurance rather than a travel insurance replacement.
ski holidays
I think if I were trying to keep costs down I'd be buying an Imprezza 2.0 and a set of snow tyres. You don't *need* 4x4 but it certainly makes life a joy, and you don't need something big.
ski holidays
James the Last, The Forester shares the engine, chassis etc with the Imprezza, but has 8 inches of ground clearance and the big estate boot, I fit my mountain bike in the back easily. I see a lot being used for shooting days. Then again, the 2.5 turbo version is so much more fun Twisted Evil
snow conditions
If I were you I'd keep the Defender, it's the only vehicle that outclasses everything else in the mountains. Yes the heaters crap, fix it, it's a Landy they are easy to fix and modify.

You will be so glad you didn't downgrade to a soft roader or a car. Scrolling through the above all the replies about cars come from people who don't live in the alps! Sure enough most of us living here don't have landy, most becasue they could never to afford to buy one, so they make do with a clio or 206 and snow tires.

For insurance, if you want cover all out of pocket expenses go with BMC or SCGB. But for most people not on the french system and EHIC card + Carte Neige and / or CAF will service..

Car insurance, check if it really is 90 days out side the uk - they are not supposed to play this stupid game anymore, the uk is part of the EU, hence if you have a years insurance it should work anywhere in the Eu for a year. Many (in their small print) say 90 days in a foreign country, a trip to Switzerland or Italy soon solves that one.
snow conditions
Harry Flashman wrote:

Another thing - what European SIM only price plans does everyone use? Want something for text messages and brief calls (extensive calls and e-mail access will be with Skype, in the evenings). For that matter, what UK contracts allow decent text/voice services abroad?

joemobile.fr were pretty good -- kind of like a French version of GiffGaff. Need a French address or to find someone who will post a SIM to the UK if you want it before you go.

UK contracts all allow extensive overseas use... they just charge for it Smile . Thanks to the EU, most contracts have a 2 or 3 quid a day european option now where you can use inclusive minutes / text / data from europe, but while I think that's ok for a holiday it would soon add up for a season. Plus you'd be paying international rates to call French numbers.
snow report
an X3, on snow, good luck
snow report
Idris wrote:

Car insurance, check if it really is 90 days out side the uk - they are not supposed to play this stupid game anymore, the uk is part of the EU, hence if you have a years insurance it should work anywhere in the Eu for a year. Many (in their small print) say 90 days in a foreign country, a trip to Switzerland or Italy soon solves that one.

The 90 days refers to the full benefits of the policy (fully comp or whatever), after that it reverts to the legal minimum required in Europe which is third party. Some people are more than happy with this, I prefer to know I have the fully comp insurance for the whole of my winter season.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use joemobile.fr most of the winter in Reberty, Les Menuires. They are owned by SFR. I have 3 unactivated Sim cards left under their recommend a friend scheme to send in the UK. If anyone would like one to enable activation before you leave then please pm me your UK address and I will put one in the UK post and details of activation instructions in English.
snow report
Quote:

You will be so glad you didn't downgrade to a soft roader or a car. Scrolling through the above all the replies about cars come from people who don't live in the alps!

Here's a reply from someone who does then ..... I've been commuting daily all winter from 720m to 1650m in a Twingo for five seasons. No snow chains, minimal expense, good heating, cheap tyres. I have been late/not made it on three occasions, all of them down to landslides/boar/Belgians.

Admittedly I wouldn't be driving the Twingo if I was doing the seasonal six months here and six months there thing - I'm about to swap it for a Berlingo van for that very reason. You don't NEED the 4x4, though it's nice if you've got the dosh to spare.
snow conditions
Lizzard, I use the Scooby more for climbing and shooting in Wales. Some of those farm tracks can be rough. Although with all wheel drive and all season tyres you would very rarely need chains. If it was that bad I'd jump on the ski bus and let someone else take the risk.
latest report
Quote:

the Scooby

The what? Puzzled
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

the Scooby

The what? Puzzled

The "I bought a Subaru Impreza beacuse I couldn't afford a decent car and needed to be able to stop of at Payage and do my ironing"

god awful cars
snow conditions
Oh sorry, are we doing car-related willy-waving? Missed that, thought it was a serious conversation. rolling eyes
snow report
Did a whole season driving a v-reg Corsa. It pissed all over the fancy yet crap 4x4s Smile
snow conditions
I've just got a quote from MPI Brokers for my mini season (3 weeks in January then 6 from mid March). For Single annual cover with a limit of 60 days per trip and 60 days skiing per trip it comes out at £161 (for standard cover, they also do economy and excel). Can't get that online, limit is 31 days skiing, had to phone. That's not too bad, their offpiste cover is good too, covered without guides, etc. They do a seasonnaires policy as well (which you can do online) but I was keen on an annual policy to cover summer as well if possible.
latest report
Standee, It is the forester estate I bought, the typical farmers car. I prefer bikes but not many cars can take a seasons worth of skis and luggage and still do 0-60 in under 6 secs Smile

But the diesel version is mildly economical, bulletproof and will handle all weathers. Funny how they always seem to go on for a few hundred thousand miles wink
snow conditions
Avalanche Poodle,
Quote:

Harry Flashman, The AAC covers sking, climbing and other mountain related sports worldwide apart from the Antarctic and above 6000 metres http://aacuk.org.uk/p-faqs-insurance. Couple that with a basic travel insurance if you wish for possessions etc to be covered and it may tick the boxes.

Does this option provide adequate third party cover e.g. for accidents on the slopes?
ski holidays
3. Liability Insurance up to € 3.000.000,–
Legal Expenses Insurance up to € 35.000,–
The insurance covers indemnification for personal and property
damage (third-party liability), costs for legal representation and
legal fees for the assertion of claims for damages against any
person who has caused injuries or damage and against his/her
third-party insurer, or costs for legal representation in court or
before an administrative authority in defence of any accusation
of negligent violation of criminal law, insofar as such costs are
incurred by Austrian or foreign members in the course of their
activities as members of the Association.
latest report
Avalanche Poodle, why is the car insurance a problem? Mine, £235 for the year, covers 180 days out of the UK. LV.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy