Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton for Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
After a lot of deliberating my boyfriend and I have booked to go to St Anton from 21st-28th December.

Anyone got any advice on things to do, runs not to miss, runs to avoid etc. We are staying b&b (Goldenes Kreuz) so perhaps most importantly any reccommendations for Christmas dinner!

I'm a steady intermediate skier, ski most reds happily and looking to advance onto more blacks this season. My other half is an advanced intermediate and skis most things but could do with more practice on blacks.

We have already decided one evening to head up to the Gampen Restaurant for dinner/drinks and a toboggan ride down - did a similar evening in Saalbach and it was awesome fun.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Becstar,

Things to do....

There a is concert on while you are there as is the Synchro Ski World Cup (check out the events calendar http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/images/stories/pdf-dateien/calendar-events/winter/winter13-14_e.pdf).

If your into apres, St Anton has lots to offer. Get yourself to the Mooserwirt and the Krazy Kangaroo for beers and europop straight off the slopes.

Piste tips....

St Anton is quite an advanced resort; nothing is uber-difficult but all the pistes are on average more difficult than many resorts in France (IMO). It's a busy place, so the home runs can become like a motorway at the end of the day, and the slopes can become like 'boiler plate' too. So either finish early in the day and go to the pub, or wait it out at the top and have a beer until the masses have got back to resort before you descend.

I'd check out the slopes in Zurs; nice and quiet (so inherently better conditions on piste), great scenery and only a quick bus ride from Rauz.

Eateries.... I like the tapas as Bodega. Nom. Not sure about Christmas dinner though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Becstar, a few restaurants to consider............The Chinese near the top of the main street, Pomodoros - pizza/Italian near the top of main street, Bobos - Mexican, opposite the Picadilly, The Kandahar bar - Have a great Apres ski session with Gunar then stay on for some awesome indian food. And if you want a more upmarket meal book the museum restaurant (this is where "chalet girl" was filmed). We've eaten in all of these and I recommend them to you.
Skiing..... Catch the 9.00am bus over to Lech and Zurs where the skiing is more intermediate. And most of all have a great time!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you get a good clear sunny day, go to Lech/Zürs and do the White Ring. Takes about three hours to do the full thing http://www.skiarlberg.at/arl/west/en/winter/w-skigebiet/66b5a740142a26b407a0267cab0181c8. And the night tobogganing in St Anton or Lech is great, but the one in St Anton isn't open every evening I think so check the days on the piste map
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice. I was anticipating spending a few days skiing over at Lech/Zurs. Is it best to get the post bus or to ski over to the free ski bus? We are staying close to the Nasserien lift.. How much is it for a return trip on the post bus or for a weekly ticket?
Toboganning at St Anton looks like its Tuesday and Thursday nights, but i'll have a proper check closer to the time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You can get the post bus from the west terminal, a return only costs about 8 or nine euros for 2, and you have to put your skis in the container at the rear of the bus. We always get off at Zurs and do some of the great red runs on the left hand side, before using the Madlochbahn to get over to the ski route which takes you to Lech via Zug. If you want to get the free bus, just work your way over to red 14 and ski down to Alpe Raus.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Becstar wrote:
We are staying b&b (Goldenes Kreuz) so perhaps most importantly any reccommendations for Christmas dinner!

Try to call to Waldhof
http://www.waldhof-stanton.com/en/
or Hazienda
http://www.m3hotel.at/en/culinary-delights/m3restaurant.html

The two best.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We stayed in the Goldenes Kreuz a couple of years ago. Great place. I can't remember the names of the restaurants but 3 good ones are within easy walking. For all of them turn right out of the hotel and head towards the town centre.

First one - on the opposite side of the road, single storey restaurant in traditional chalet style. Excellent Austrian food. On the right more or less immediately opposite is a restaurant in the ground floor of a block of flats. Good range of food at reasonable prices. A bit further into town on the same side there is an upmarket Italian on the first floor of a modern building.

Christmas Eve is more of a big deal for dinner in Austria than Christmas Day, so make sure you book something for the 24th.

For skiing - the runs down to St Christoph are fun. Don't neglect Rendl - the run back from there to the town is a long red that'll get your legs burning. Beware the runs at the top of Rendl - R14 has some massive moguls. Stuben has some old and slow uplift but the runs are very quiet, well worth a visit.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
xscreamer, you are the only person I know of who has actually recommended the Chinese, everybody else I know who has eaten there (and that's plenty given that I've done 4 seasons in St Anton) has said steer clear.

Valkyrie, Fuhrmanstube will be the place on the left heading in to town you are thinking of. Eaten there and thoroughly enjoyed the food. Maximillians is the one across the road from there, again gets good reviews from those I know of who have eaten there (I haven't myself). The pizza place (can't remember the name) was alright, but I've eaten in better in Anton, San Antonio's (up Nasserein end, keep walking up from the Nassereinbahn, turn left at the Nassereinerhof and head straight up the hill from there, it's on there right hand bend) and Floriani's (up the road from the roundabout by the Galzigbahn, about 100m up on the left) are better in my experience.

I can also recommend Happy Valley, it's pretty much directly across from Pommodoro next to the Hotel Post.

Becstar, you may find it more difficult to find somewhere for dinner on Christmas Eve and opposed to Christmas Day as that is when the Austrian celebrate and so a number of places close early Christmas Eve.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maximillian's is pretty good for food. The Museum is also great, probably pricy for Christmas dinner though... Bobos has pretty tasty food, as does the Mooserwirt at lunch (HUGE portions). Make sure you get there for apres at least once too. Happy Hour at Bar Cuba for cheap beer.

Also never heard ANYTHING good about the chinese place...

The toboggan evening is great fun, think it's from the Naserein gondola (or was in 08/09) though may be form both. Great bar halfway down the track for schnapps and food too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Becstar, we had xmas in st Anton a few years back and had a fantastic time. xmas day we ate in the famous St Christopher Hospiz Alm(sp), the one with the famous slide to the loos. if do that you must book your table and enjoy the wine menu!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 Floriani's restaurant, good value Austrian food and excellent pizzas, beware they don't take reservations so waiting for a table at busy times can be lengthy, I've waited an hour. I was b and b nearby so that's why I was so patient! Another good restaurant, not pricey, is located by the roundabout, used to be called Haxenstube, can't remember it's current name- anybody? Both these are a fair walk from Goldenes Kreuz, especially Floriani's.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Seitenblick I think is the one you mean. Although May of this year it was a hole in the ground. Being rebuilt in to, IIRC, another Alber store and a restaurant. Will know in less than 3 weeks when I get back to resort.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Sitter, yes Seitenblick. I'll be there in January so I'll be able to check it out. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Becstar, Christmas Day is a normal day in St Anton, the big festive meal is Christmas Eve and it tends to be quite formal. Suggest you book well in advance it gets busy for festive meals.
snow report
Forgot to say try La Bodega, best tapas I've had outside Spain. also +1 for Floriani, great pizzas but get there early, or late....long wait if you get timings wrong, you can't book. Also Antony's upstairs for pizzas, downstairs for beef and Hazienda for a treat. So many places to eat and drink, skiing not too bad either wink
snow report
[quote="Sitter"]xscreamer, you are the only person I know of who has actually recommended the Chinese, everybody else I know who has eaten there (and that's plenty given that I've done 4 seasons in St Anton) has said steer clear.

Well we've been a couple of times and both enjoyed it. Its a decent price and we've always survived to ski another day. Perhaps you should give it a second chance.
ski holidays
If I start hearing of other positive experiences then maybe I might consider giving it another try, but given that there are so many other places that I have been to and enjoyed, the motivation isn't really there at the moment.
latest report
If you are staying near Nasserein, then I can recommend San Antonio - pizzas, pasta, and Austria. "Happy" atmosphere, reasonably wide menu, and drinks list.

BTW: Postbus for Lech & Zurs is about EUR5.60, return, for 1 person.
latest report
Thinking of booking the Hazienda for Christmas Eve. They have a 7 course gala dinner incl wine for 120 euros each. Pricey but hell its christmas and i bet it will be good Smile
snow report
clarky999 wrote:

Also never heard ANYTHING good about the chinese place...

Well, I imagine you can always get a table... I've not been for [ahem] 20 years, and more than happy to leave it another 20.
snow report
Becstar, great choice - Argentinien Rindfleisch mit Nudeln my favourite after a couple of Capirinihas!! Top place, albeit it was better back in the day, pre M3 hotel ownership, still great though.
ski holidays
The Chinese joint as been in town iover 30rs.

Top tip. Lunchtime cheapest place to eat.
Only i minute of the hill.midsay menu €7

Imo. Hazienda is overrated & definitly over priced. Same British
Chef last 15 yrs.
Its cheaper & superior to eat in 5* St Antonhof Hotel Stube.
snow conditions
Quote:

cheapest place to eat.

Yes, that figures. I'd rather walk a bit further and get a Fleischkäse semel and a can of red bull from the spar if I want to save money (actually thats my hangover breakfast, but it works at any time of the day).

Not tried St Antonerhof, but the Schwarzeradler was nice, if a little pricey.

Has anyone stayed at or eaten at the Sport Hotel? Please tell me it's nice, I just booked a week there at New Year Happy
snow conditions
sah wrote:
Quote:

cheapest place to eat.
Yes, that figures. I'd rather walk a bit further and get a Fleischkäse semel and a can of red bull from the spar if I want to save money (actually thats my hangover breakfast, but it works at any time of the day).

I like to be able to sit down & its healthier food to have a break from the Mountain food Very Happy

Red Bull should be illegal Toofy Grin

Bak on topic.

I am not sure if they are doing Xmas Eve Banquet but the Tannenhof Hotel is recognised as having the best kitchen In St Anton since they remodelled
the Hotel.

http://hoteltannenhof.net/winter/en/cuisine.html
ski holidays
Chinese........healthy? Ever heard of MSG?! Confused
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Chinese........healthy? Ever heard of MSG?! Confused

Vetsin oh yeah, your find it in the mountain restaurants, Hotels & Chalets in nearly all the Goulash soups, Fleischkäse, wurst, burgers,lasagne,Spag Bol....................

Shocked
latest report
stanton, Ha, that's why I'm gluten free and don't eat processed food....... wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, apart from the odd Griabli cheeseburger as a treat Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy