Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach and hinterglemm in Jan or March??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at booking a week here in either mid jan or the second week in march. I was just wondering which would be the better option in terms of snow conditions and busyness? I've heard a lot of good things about this resort. Possibly staying in either the alpine palace, panther, or hotel residenz so any thoughts on these as well would be much appreciated.
Thanks guys
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
superG,
Went 10th March last winter & had a great time; loads of snow although was getting slushy on lower runs in the mid afternoon.
Jan would be my choice of the 2 dates .
Wasn't at all busy with virtually no waiting time on any lift. If you do go, make sure you do the trip over to Leogang.........excellent cruising runs .
Mountain huts are excellent and apres is pretty decent although not as 'loud' as I was expecting.
All in all a great place & am back there 1st week of feb.......cant wait
Mitch
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just seen a great deal for the 4th Jan for a week so gonna book that i think. From what i've heard the snow should be ok even that early in jan. Yeah i'm looking to get to all the areas around saalbach. Thanks for the advice mitch.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
superG, the problem with the 4th Jan week is that it is the Eastern Orthodox Christmas week so it may well still be busy-ish. Saying that, the Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang Ski circus does not suffer from over-crowding at the highest of seasons. By comparison to many resorts the waiting times are not that long as there are so many ways up into the system. Once you are up away from the villages there are so many options the folks just spread out. We do complain, but in reality it is because we may have to wait a few minutes to get on to some lifts instead of skiing straight on to the chair or gondola! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cheers sue, i didnt know that. Still, i dont mind waiting a few extra min on some lifts. Hopefully the entire area wont be crowded. What do you think snow conditions will be like, just with it being quite low level?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
first rule of skiing in Austria is... ignore the fact that the absolute altitude may be lower than some French resorts.
edit: and I'll be skiing in Austria @1800-2000 then (well the end of that week).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to Saalbach January this year - it was fantastic! It wasn't that crowded, no lift queues at all that i can remember. The lift system is great so can deal with lots of people with no delay.
Enjoyed it so much i'm thinking of going again next year in January Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
superG, simply add 300m to all the heights quoted then look again! rolling eyes Laughing

Being that much further east and away from the moderating influence of the Atlantic, the snowline has fallen by about 300m by the time you get to western Austria! That is a well known meteorological effect called Continentality coming into play! A good example is the current early snow from last Thursday/Friday, lots of people were having orgasms because the glaciers and higher Savoie resorts in France received snow last week - I had it in my village and a paltry 800m above sea level and it is still there on the mountain opposite my apartment today. It is super cold here now and the rain that is forecast for tomorrow and the rest of the week is going to fall as snow on areas above 1200m.

But hey ho what do we know, we only live here! wink Of course Austria is way too low for snow snowHead snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i'm sold Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Saalbach here i come. Thanks for the advice everyone.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy