Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which foot warmer?

Poster: A snowHead
Hotronic or Thermic? If you've used either, how did you find them?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thermic boot warmers - the heated sausage shaped ones not the hot air blowers. Put 'em in your gloves when you get home & then swap 'em to your boots at bed time. The hot air ones are too bulky/easily damaged by baggage handles & are noisy at night whereas the warmers are silent. Guaranteed fully dried/toasty boots every morning but not so hot as to adversely effect custom molded boot liners/footbeds etc. Brilliant piece of kit. I really should sell them myself rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
different view, heated ski bag?

love mine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ansta1 wrote:
different view, heated ski bag? love mine.

Yes they work very well but they're three times the price of the thermic warmers.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
different view, heated ski bag? love mine.

Yes they work very well but they're three times the price of the thermic warmers.

True, and it depends if the op is after something to dry and warm the boots overnight or to keep their feet warm during the day.

I got a second heating element for my bag for $30 from the USA which now goes in the main bag. So all the kit can be warmed overnight, or dried if it's wet or damp.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You're right. I read the OP as wanting boot driers as Thermic call their driers 'warmers'.

Tom Doc, if you're after heated insoles to keep your feet warm on the hill then I've not heard of any differences between the Hotronic or Thermic brands. My missus has used the Thermic ones for many years without issue & they're straightforward to install.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"spyderjon" Hi, yeah I meant the insoles. Do you sell them? I must have a browse on your website!!

Thanks everyone.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have Hotronics - I'm now on my second set. The first set lasted 6 or 7 seasons of 100+ days each season, and were switched through 4 pairs of boots and 2 sets of insoles. I only replaced them when the batteries were no longer holding a full charge, meaning they only lasted 7 hours.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The left, at the moment.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skinanny, That's amazing!
I'm putting some on my Christmas list!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the other ones to consider are the conformable ones, they are all much of a muchness on price the hotronic has the bulkiest batteries, the thermic ones can last 22 hours (why you need 22 hours i do not know) the conformable ones can be plugged in to the charger so that they can dry your insoles/boots overnight while you charge the batteries
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman, Very Happy Laughing Shining wit ...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's an interesting (fairly recent) thread on this subject over at Epic
http://epicski.onthesnow.com/t/113221/best-current-boot-heater/30

which links to a retailer's site with a handy comparison chart
http://www.alpineaccessories.com/Battery-boot-heater-comparison.html

It doesn't show the Sidas conformable insoles CEM mentions, they certainly sound handy to use both day and night, however the only info I can find on them (the Sidas website is bobbins)
http://www.sidassport.com/content/media/document.php?id_document=1840&id_format=1
This seems to show the battery life is a bit shorter on medium heat setting which it would appear most people seem to use.

Personally I would be interested to know how secure the battery packs are when attached, I'd be concerned to loose them boot packing, anyone got real world experience Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks guys. Found these, price looks ok: http://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/shop/products/2013-14_Thermicsole_Trimfit_Heating_Element.htm and http://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/shop/products/2012-13_Thermic_Powerpack_Max_Battery_Pack.htm

Is this all I need? They'll be an early Christmas present for Mrs Doc.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I like this from the Thermic website: the Supermax version has a setting that guarantees '158° F / 70° C for up to 3 hours.'

Apparently, if you put some garlic and lemon juice in your boot first that's lunch sorted.
snow report
Tom Doc, the other half has the Conformable system with the very small nano batteries and is very happy with them. Packs unclip for transport. Probably done around 160 days so they seem to last well enough.
latest report
under a new name, Any idea where you got them? There aren't many results from google that actually have them in stock.
snow conditions
You can't beat the Beurer Electric Foot Warmer. Sensational piece of equipment that has warmed my toes since Mrs Slopes 1967 (My mum) used to warm them with her hands.
snow report
not on the website as they keep selling out but we have them in stock Tom Doc
latest report
CEM, What ones do you have and at what price?
snow report
from Sidas we have the Pro set £200, therm-ic IC1200 £170, RC1200 £195 (the thermic ones require elements £30 as an extra as the batteries are sold alone)
latest report
They're on sale just now on sport pursuit.

Just under £45.

Happy Feet - no idea how good they are.

ETA - after Fatbob's post below I've had a closer look and I would say he is correct - this is not skiing kit.

Thanks Bob!!

I use Hotronics and they do the job.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 22-10-13 7:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
CEM wrote:
the other ones to consider are the conformable ones, they are all much of a muchness on price the hotronic has the bulkiest batteries, the thermic ones can last 22 hours (why you need 22 hours i do not know) the conformable ones can be plugged in to the charger so that they can dry your insoles/boots overnight while you charge the batteries

The Hotronic batteries are bulky with a tendency to unclip themselves. Quite often you find them swimming about in the 'ankle gaiter'.
ski holidays
Fifespud wrote:

Just under £45.

Look awful - not compatible with custom insoles - battery charge held in the insole itself?
ski holidays
as someone once said (no idea who it was) " i would rather explain the price of quality and apologize for anything less!"
latest report
fatbob wrote:
Fifespud wrote:

Just under £45.

Look awful - not compatible with custom insoles - battery charge held in the insole itself?

To be honest I barely looked and certainly wasn't reccomending them!

In general the stuff I've bought on Sportpursuit has been very good quality though.
latest report
Fifespud, fairynuff - think they are probably an ok solution for fisherman or farmer to put in their wellies or for people who have stock flimsy paper footbeds, and at the price if it had just been a battery pack with an element I'd maybe consider a shot for occasional use. Not good for anyone serious about boot fit though.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Fifespud, fairynuff - think they are probably an ok solution for fisherman or farmer to put in their wellies or for people who have stock flimsy paper footbeds, and at the price if it had just been a battery pack with an element I'd maybe consider a shot for occasional use. Not good for anyone serious about boot fit though.

Also should say that the hotronics are a bit of hassle to retro fit to custom footbeds. You have to make a hole in the footbed and the liner and run the cable. It was a little bit heartbreaking carving up my newish boots.

Probably better to get the shop to do it - if they will.

I've never had problems with cold feet historically but my Fischer Vacuum Fits are blooming cold. In retrospect I might have got them to turn the vacuum up a touch too high, I sometimes suspect there's a lack of blood flow....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, I take it I need more than just the Trimfit heating element and the power pack (linked to above on Anything Technical), as the price seems very low (£125 for the lot)?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy