Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet or large rental in Chamonix.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
First post on snow heads! As a family of 5 we're going to Chamonix for the 3rd year running. We go with friends who are a family of 4 but we've found a really good 'mountain lodge' in Le Tour that you can ski back to but it's self catering. Are catered chalets a lot more expensive once you've factored in expensive Chamonix supermarkets and eating out a couple of nights. So, the question is, catered or self catering? What's best, both for ease and price?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jonesj, welcome to Snowheads snowHead

Depends on what you like, how likely the whole group is to take a turn at shopping, unpacking, cooking, clearing, washing up, drying, putting away etc., and if that will work equitably with your group. The other thing IS the expense and the practicalities getting of the shopping for 9 people 'home' - if is it's very accessible for skiing, it might not be for shops and roads, so think about that. I'm a great fan of s/c for the summer (in the mountains too) but really wouldn't be for winter. We prefer the convenience and 'being spoilt' factor of a catered chalet after a long day, and have found that in many catered chalets, usually owned and run by the same people.

You know if it would be fun or a pain, to look after and cater for yourselves for a week and that - along with the expense - is what needs to be considered. Have fun Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
self catering in le tour will be a pain in the back bottom imo as there are no supermarkets, i'm even sure what time the bars are open to in all honesty.

if you dont have a car in all honesty i'd rule it out as you will have to go skiing up le tour, come down and then get on a bus to argentiere, or go shopping everyday in your ski gear if your ski in cham Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonesj, do you know more about the location of the lodge? Personally, I'd enjoy sc with good friends somewhere like that but yes, you need to be sure everyone will pull their weight and you need to enjoy all the planning in advance that would be entailed to avoid having to spend too much time shopping. People who know Chamonix well might well know of a supermarket which delivers. If you plan properly you can eat very well for a lot less than staying in a catered chalet or a hotel on half board. But yes, it is hugely helpful to have a car, even more so if you can drive from the UK with your first three meals already made and frozen and all but the fresh ingredients for the rest safely stowed away.

The closing time of the bars is probably irrelevant. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have a cracking place in le tour. Stayed there last year and it wasn't a problem so doing the same this year. I'm driving over but our friends are flying and hiring a car so transport isn't a problem. I was just thinking that maybe next year we could indulge in a catered chalet but also thought that after buying own food, wine etc, maybe it's not much more and worth the extra expense. But, the sc chalet we have is an ideal location, literally 10 metres from the slopes and can ski straight to the front door.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not been to Chamonix but I'd guess it depends on how you're getting there. If you've got a hire car from the airport or are driving from the UK and can do your week's shopping at a supermarket on the way you'll have much more choice and it'll be much cheaper than buying from expensive and limited resort shops.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonesj, It sounds terrific. Would definitely be my choice.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you can pick up stuff on the way up, do. The best place to monster shop is in the Sallanches area. Carrefour is easy to access from the junction after the Cluse peage. It is behind MacD as you head toward 'Centre Ville.' At the next junction is an equally convenient Intermarche, follow signs to Domancy and you will go right past it.

The Argentière SuperU has been under new management for a while now. Regis has made it much better but is still limited by its size.

There are a whole squad of cook and deliver or cook in your kitchen providers in the valley, the curry man does a real feast.

Le Tour restaurants are limited, Passon (formerly P'tcheu) is great, L' Olympique is foul and grumpy (fixed slugs in the salad last time peer pressure forced me in.) Without a driver the much better restaurants in Argentière will tax the legs going home.

No car, catered wins. Friends stay in the Igloo building every year for a long stay and getting provisions in can be a bind.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the advice. Really useful. We used the Argentiere superu last year. Became a good reason to pop out for last minute supplies each evening and sneak a crafty winter warmer in one of the bars before returning home to the lovely kids - who never seemed to tire even after a days skiing!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonesj, are you advertising? or do you just live in an ideal world?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chamonix superU do internet shopping/delivery in the valley. Never tried it, so can't promise that what you get bears any resemblance to what you order.

Ski in/out is rare in the valley, and I'd have thought that was potentially of greater advantage than the disadvantage of shopping a couple of times.

I've never found the prices too bad, and as skiingian says, if you can stock up in Sallanches that's a really good option en route.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skiingian wrote:

There are a whole squad of cook and deliver or cook in your kitchen providers in the valley, the curry man does a real feast.

I can highly recommend the curry man. Have been to two of his events in the Chamonix valley now and they have both been my best ever currys. You can contact him through his website: http://www.thali-chamonix.com
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy