Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon StreetRacer 8's SOS

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good afternoon snowheads,

My first post ever is a question about some used skis. Im an intermediate skiier and want to work on my carving. Im going on the uni ski trip in a couple of months but don't know whether to rent skis @~ £80 or buy a used pair up to £150 which will last me a few years, being more economical in the long run.

I've been offered a pair of Salomon Street racer 8's for £60. Would these skis be suitable? I believe I have to buy new bindings though as the incumbents are indemnified.

Any advice would be absolutely superb,

Over and out,

Danny.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
edmonds2124,
You will need to check this carefully. If the bindings are indemnified, that is fine. Indemnified does not mean condemned.

It is if the bindings have been taken off the indemnified list that problems can arise, as shops are no longer indemnified by the manufacturer so will not work on them.

Last year's indemnified list is http://www.playitagainsportslatham.com/users/pias-10966/documents/2013_Indemnification_List.pdf

If the bindings are on that list, they should be OK. Even if they are not on the indemnified list, then the bindings may be OK but ... you can almost certainly find another pair of skis with indemnified bindings at that price.

The skis sound reasonable at that price, provided that the bindings are OK - although there are places such as SkiZog (or a member of the Uni ski team) where you may get as good or a better deal for piste carving skis.

Welcome to snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you beequin!! I appreciate that, Il have a little look around.

I've read a few reviews and the skis seem very limited.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought a pair of Street Racer 10's when they 1st came out, the 8's were very similar spec aimed at intermediate skiers.

These were some of the first purpose designed carving skis, and they were intended to be skied short (I'm a 'chunky' 17 stone and the correct length for me was 165cm).

They excelled at short carved turns with superb edge grip, they felt like they would do circles on the piste and they really helped me to learn to carve properly.

However they had some issues. They would not go straight at all, this gave me huge problems on the long flat areas of La Plagne. I found them terrible on anything but well pisted snow, even a couple of cm of fresh on top of the piste could cause issues. I found them very tiring, you had to work them all the time and couldn't relax at all.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You'll get a far newer set of skis within your budget, I've just picked up a nice pair of 2 year old and freshly serviced Movement Yakas (70:30 piste/off piste so a bit more versatile than a pure carver) for £115.
Though before splashing out on skis do you have your own boots? Better to buy those first if not.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
landlockedpirate wrote:
I bought a pair of Street Racer 10's when they 1st came out, the 8's were very similar spec aimed at intermediate skiers.

These were some of the first purpose designed carving skis, and they were intended to be skied short (I'm a 'chunky' 17 stone and the correct length for me was 165cm).

They excelled at short carved turns with superb edge grip, they felt like they would do circles on the piste and they really helped me to learn to carve properly.

However they had some issues. They would not go straight at all, this gave me huge problems on the long flat areas of La Plagne. I found them terrible on anything but well pisted snow, even a couple of cm of fresh on top of the piste could cause issues. I found them very tiring, you had to work them all the time and couldn't relax at all.

Hi Pirate. I've had a pair of Streetracer 8's (2007 and 165cm) for a few years now and agree completely with your observations above for turns and grip. They are great for short snappy turns and hold the ice well compaerd to other ski's I've tried.
I've used the Streetracers for some offpiste but would really like to try a bit bit more offpiste.
Do you know of any newer skis that could help me explore the powder a bit more but retain the short turns and grip on the groomers?
I'm also a 'chunky' 17 stone Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Streetracers were the last skis I bought without trying. I now buy my skis in resort after at least a couple of days demo. My current preference is K2, use Xplorers as an all mountain ski and have done everything I wanted in the past.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Pirate. I may do the same and try before buying. I quite like the look of the Salomon Enduro range and also like the K2 impacts. Thanks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you can get to one of the fridges Ellis Brigham have demo nights coming up over the next couple of months and the last couple of years have pretty much the entire K2 and Salomon range amongst many others to play with. Not as good as playing on them in the mountains but gives you some idea if you like them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks davkt. My in-laws live near Tamworth so might give it a go.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cool, Tamworth is my usual fridge, the demos are normally on Wed night which is the ski only session, or I think if you tell the shop there what you want to try they will sort it anytime if it is in the store demo stock.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I believe that there's a joint snowHeads/EB's ski test at Tamworth on Wed 13th Nov 8-11pm.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ohh where have yo seen that Jon? Will be along for sure!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy