Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 13/14

Poster: A snowHead
jbob wrote:
The queue at GM this morning at 8.30 was very long. Went up to do a little end of season tour. Half hour wait for the top bin, note- no reservations before ten. Headed up to col Argentiere along with quite a few others! The snow ranged from nightmare crust, to passable stiff powder with just a small change of aspect. Finished down the Ric at 3.30 slush mainly, could have been fun except I was frightened by the numbers. Swift beer to finish another good season. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

You never stopped to say hi???? We were exhibiting/demo skis at the base of the Hearse, will be there again tomorrow

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=656591121044393&set=pcb.656591387711033&type=1

Oh the workers bin 7 til 8 was nice and quiet Wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 29-03-14 20:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did the Crochues-Berard route to le Buet today.

Left from top of Floria poma at 11:30 and reached le Buet at just before 3pm.

The snow is still in good condition down to under Col des Dards, but some fairly big wet snow slides on the S/SW facing slopes underneath the Pointe Alph Fare area (I wouldn't traverse across there too late in the day!) A couple on the W facing side on the skin up to Col de Berard too.

Best of the snow, with a long pitch of fresh, was under the Aguille du Lac Blanc down the Prises d'Eau toward the Refuge de La Pierre a Berard.

Then the long traverse down to le Buet with some 'interesting' obstacles to avoid along the way down and a nice Eidelweis beer to end a good day! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Idris, I did peep in but I was with four friends and was totally knackered, even considered going down in the box, wish I had.
Your display looked impressive. I would have loved to have had a go on your beautiful skis. You were in good company next to the Plum stand.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Touchguru wrote:
jbob, I got up to the top of ADM on number 14 bin around 9:45am and it looked like it was struggling to settle and they had to prise the doors open. Thought that it may cause an issue. How long was it down for?

How did you get a number 14 boarding card? I was there just before 8am and que'd with the guides to get cards. I was the first non guide to get boarding cards and got number 21's. It really angers me seeing guides taking stacks of like 15 cards... but oh dear... gota love CMB!

SO we went for a croissant and coffee up the road and when we came back the que was moving extremely slowly. At around 0930 they made an announcment saying that all departures would be delayed. 1 mate had to bail due to work, so me and my other mate eventually got skiing by 11am. Any big plans were scrapped and we headed towards Col d'Entreves and had wonderful gentle skiing by ourselves all the way back to the crowds on the VB!

Toughguru was the track out of Berard Valley not too slow and sticky? Maybe it will just about stay in condition for a bit longer. I did it twice last week, both excellent, just incase it was finished for the season.

Now meeting more and more people coming out for Haute Route season, hope they all get a good weather window!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OliC, often they save them for the late guided parties then if they don't show they give them to whoever is next in line. One time I got 2 bins in front of my friend who was queuing half an hour before me.

Really bad by the CDMB. Not acceptable. If the guides are late they should do one and get whatever bin ticket is up.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
OliC wrote:

How did you get a number 14 boarding card? I was there just before 8am and que'd with the guides to get cards. I was the first non guide to get boarding cards and got number 21's. It really angers me seeing guides taking stacks of like 15 cards... but oh dear... gota love CMB!!

I just walked up after most of the guides and asked for 2 passes and she gave me number 14s. I was there at 7:15am, but then got a bit sidetracked and was a bit late getting into the queue, so was happily surprised when she gave me those Smile

OliC wrote:

Toughguru was the track out of Berard Valley not too slow and sticky? Maybe it will just about stay in condition for a bit longer. I did it twice last week, both excellent, just incase it was finished for the season.

It wasn't too slow and sticky, but it was definitely looking tired with the tree roots and some rocks showing through. Don't think it will last much past mid next week with the warm temperatures and expected mid week rain.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob wrote:
Idris, I did peep in but I was with four friends and was totally knackered, even considered going down in the box, wish I had.
Your display looked impressive. I would have loved to have had a go on your beautiful skis. You were in good company next to the Plum stand.
Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last two days conditions report.

HOT ! But still good Happy Catch each aspect at the right time and we've really enjoyed flying around the pistes. Have done GM, F & B so far. Base still really pretty amazing considering the heat in the last month. Summary - lovely spring conditions. Not done any touring as this trip we are with friends and just tooling around, but lots of people still out there. Bring on more sun !

Alex
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alex A, how are the B/F pistes coping with the heat? I've been avoiding them as a few weeks ago when I went the pistes were very slushy and didn't enjoy it. Been staying on GM the majority of the time and it's all good Little Angel
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Slightly off topic, but I'm looking to go to Cormayeur at some point from Chamonix...where does the bus leave Chamonix from? Is it the train station? And how far is the walk from the Cormayeur bus stop to the lifts? Thanks
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
srogers13, GM has colder snow for sure. To a degree on a few slopes given their aspect, however they need to warm up as well !! With the off piste at GM totally rock solid on most aspects then actually I fancied a change and whilst slushy at the end of the day they were ok.. i quite enjoy fast slush though!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skied first lift and last lift (only, not in between) at les Houches today - no one! ok I was early and late, but saw maybe 5 people in the morning and 0 in the afternoon - still found untracked piste at 5pm - everything I skied still had reasonable coverage - if you are looking for mellow skiing with NO crowds, Les Houches is the place to ski at the moment!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And La Plagne...................not many people around out here either......................its great!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skied Les Houches today and the change on piste from Sunday morning to now is really apparent.
Large areas of bare ground on the mid to lower pistes however you can still ski down to Prarion (just via a small sliver on snow on skiers right on the runout before the bottom lift station)

All varying degrees of slush but still great fun to mess around in with hardly anyone around....and I am not in an office!! Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Went to Le Tour today and, not surprisingly, it is in much better conditions overall than Les Houches.
Fairly firm at 9:30 but by 10am most of the areas were really good skiing and the slush only really made its presence felt after 1pm on the west and northerly aspect slopes.
Still some fun tracked off-piste to be had under the Tete Du Balme telesiege, but I stayed mainly on piste for another fun spring skiing day.
snow report
Just been out for a lunchtime slide in Les Houches, not much left - the top has ok coverage, all the lower runs are closed and are only passable by walking in mud Sad Best snow is either the top of Bellevue or Le Crozat, but even then it ain't great.
Lift operators say they are planning on still being open till the 21st - unless we have a change in weather there won't be much left to slide on by then!
snow report
I thought I saw somewhere that B/F were closing on 14th April (could be wrong!)...if that's the case I can't see how they won't be closing Les Houches around then either!?
ski holidays
srogers13, i was under that impression too
snow report
How bizarre. Per CMB website, everything bar GMs and LHs closes 14th, LHs closes 21st... Optimisim rules OK
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
How bizarre. Per CMB website, everything bar GMs and LHs closes 14th, LHs closes 21st... Optimisim rules OK

Trying to maximise revenue!
Maybe they will just keep the top frontside section open down to the Maison Neuve chair with Chamois and Le Cha pomas on the other sides as below that is toast!

Le Tour was good-ish again today. Definitely already felt 'stickier' this afternoon than yesterday but at least you can still ski to the bottom fairly problem free. (unless you happen not to like slush!)
snow report
Should be heading to Chamonix in 1 week time, looking at temperatures and forecasts, starting to hesitate. What would you guys in Chamonix at the moment advise? If only the Valee Blanche remain skiable, would it not be better to change the plans?
ski holidays
Grands Montets will definitely be skiable! As mentioned the other areas are closing on the 14th, but you can get a good week's skiing in at GM and if you do the VB then that's another day's skiing sorted.
latest report
mooney058, conditions as good or better than one would expect at this time of dear...
snow report
Went to GM today...the initial thick cloud covering the slopes meant that the icy pistes hung around longer than normal. Whilst I was there the 2/3 mogul fields off the Herse chairlift were closed due to the hard-pack ice and long slide risk (I believe). Majority of the other moguls had very marble-like snow which made it difficult and felt like I was a beginner again...fell over a couple of times when I wouldn't normally in that position!

Called it quits at 2pm and came home to watch the rugby and football.

Booked onto the VB tomorrow so will let you know how that is after the lack of snow recently!!
snow conditions
Hi - I will be in chamonix over Easter weekend. In need of a partner for ski mountaineering. Anyone interested, let me know?
snow report
srogers13, any recommendations on guide company? Never been to Chamonix before, discovered there are many companies in the area. thanks a lot for the updates and encouraging news to all you guys! Cant wait to get to "Mecca"
snow report
Www.mountainpenguins.com
snow conditions
I ski'd at Brevent this morning and it was pretty good actually. Though the usual Cham style piste bashing had taken place, i.e- lumps everywhere.

I hope srogers13 gets on ok doing the VB. I heard yesterday people que'd for an hour just for the gondola!

Otherwise, besides skiing and work I've been upto this:
http://chainmark.blogspot.com
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't really recommend particular guide companies as today was the first time I've hired a guide, and that was from "Mont Blanc Ski Guide Compagnie" which encompasses a few ski companies to deliver the VB tour.

VB was great today, incredible weather and great views in every direction! Even though I've been out here for 10 weeks, it was the first time I've done it because I've always held out for a big drop of powder, proceeded by hot sunny days, but never worked out. Although the routes are heavily tracked out, it was still a joy to do and it wasn't busy at all. Didn't queue at any part of it. OliC, I imagine it was so busy yesterday because of the weekend skiers coming out!

I think our group did the Le Petits Envers du Plan which is more difficult than the classic route. Snow was quite hard-packed, but not too icy, and there were moguls between the crevasses but don't think you'd have to deal with these if you did the classic route.

Here's a photo from the top at the station and then another looking up to the seracs and crevasses we weaved our way through -

http://s29.photobucket.com/user/steve_rogers13/library/VB
ski holidays
Has anyone been over to Courmayeur recently? Keen to know what the conditions are like. And does anyone know when it's due to close? I haven't found the dates online yet...
snow report
fixx, I can't imagine the conditions are much different from anywhere else except you might have more snow underneath what you're skiing on. I expect it closes 21/4/2104.
snow conditions
under a new name, thanks. I might head there on Monday for some morning/lunchtime skiing, and a wander round the town after...
latest report
It just so happens I went there today fixx!

I enjoyed it, the earlier you head there the better, although I still stayed there till 4pm Smile There is a lack of snow when you arrive from the cable car and have to walk to the gondola or chairlifts initially, but generally the snow cover is really good. There are a few pistes closed such as the home runs and 1 or 2 runs from the Mont Chetif station on the right.

The Checruit side (main slopes) have the sun on them early doors and are good fun in the morning, whereas the runs on the other side (Plan de la Gabba chairlift) were VERY icy this morning. Did them a few times, but stuck to the sun-hit slopes before they turned slushy and then did the Lazey, Internazionale, Gabba and Rocce Bianche runs in the afternoon as they were no longer icy. These runs were superb for an hour or two!

And yep, it closes on 21/04.
snow report
Thanks srogers13 for the guide!

Two of us headed over there yesterday, and got some really enjoyable skiing in. It was a bit daunting getting off the first cabin and seeing the brown, mud, and general lack of snow, but once we headed further up we found some great slopes in very skiable condition. We looped the runs around the Plan de la Gabba chair and Bertolini from around 12 - still a few icy patches then, but nothing to worry about, and it was nice the feel the snow change over repeated runs. The place was deserted too, so really enjoyable high speed cruising!

We met up with a couple of others in town itself for a late lunch though - that was a very weird deserted feel, there was barely a soul to be seen wandering through the town, very different from Chamonix.
ski holidays
How are things up on GM now? Will be in Les Contamines for a few days from tonight and was thinking we might drive round for a bit of altitude at some point.
Thanks, J
ski holidays
GM was in good shape on Friday, but I haven't been up there since. Bit icy first thing, and you can't ski to the chair at the bottom of Pierre a Ric any more - you have to take skis off a walk the last bit - but plenty of skiing still to be had. I'm intrigued to hear if it's got busy since the other areas closed, as Friday was pretty quiet with no queuing.
snow conditions
fixx, I'm going to Cormayeur again in a couple of days so will be good to be at a deserted place...GM is now very busy! Busiest it's been since February I reckon and a number of lifts and pistes closed so everyone is being 'ushered' to specific areas. Pierre a Ric is now completely closed and I wouldn't advise skiing it as there are bare patches across the whole piste. The Retour Pendant chairlift on the right is closed because the bottom pistes are bare, so if you decide to do the Chamois black run off the Bochard gondola then you need to veer right and go under the bridge.

jedster, GM is very icy in the mornings now and every time you take the lift up you're bound to see someone on their backside sliding down the whole piste. Combes are Bochard are the only open red runs I believe, with the latter being rammed since the other Chamonix areas were closed. I wouldn't advise doing the black runs off the Herse chairlift until later on as the moguls are difficult on the ice! The pistes are in best condition between 12 and 2, then the lower areas get very slushy. I'm not going to head to GM any earlier than 11 now, and I've been packing it in around 3pm.
snow report
Some nice turns still to be found

Lower down was wind affected, so you had to choose your spot - still managed to ski all the way out to Montonvers with no walking Wink
snow report
Expecting dust on crust this morning but headed up unusually early due Wx forecast. Surprisingly pleasant off piste for fist 50% or so off Bochard. Herse a bit scrappy. And quite sunny.
latest report
Last day of the ski season for me - not a bad one, 2 runs on the GM - Fresh frozen corduroy on the Bochard - fun with sharp edges - A run off the summit and down the Rognon glacier to the Argentiere - untracked pow (only just deep enough to call it pow) all the way to the piste.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy