Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel or Val Thorens in February?

Poster: A snowHead
My husband and I will ski at the 3 Valleys during the first week of February 2014. After staying at the courchevel 1850 last year, we hope to find a base this year that is comfortable, less expensive, and has ski-in ski-out hotels. I find that the hotels in Val Thorens are less expensive and have more ski-in ski-out choices, but my concern is the weather in February. I am a beginner to intermediate skier that gets nervous when there is high wind and poor visibility. Can anyone share some advice please? Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The thing is that you can get bad weather and poor visibility anywhere but as Val Thorens has no trees it is more exposed to high winds and there is nowhere to hide from it. You can however usually ski down to Les Menuires and access the rest of the 3 Valleys from that direction. Given that you are a beginner to intermediate Meribel or Mottaret could be a better choice for you though as you can do some gentle tree runs if the weather is rough. Have a look at La Tania and Courchevel 1650 as well though for a cheaper base as I think both would suit you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dodohong, welcome to snowheads. snowHead You can certainly find poor vis anywhere, but it is more likely, IME, at higher altitude - in our area the tops of the mountains are sometimes in cloud when the lower areas are much clearer.

If you are a nervous beginner/intermediate, maybe somewhere other than the 3V would suit you? There are plenty of other areas with ski-in/ski-out chalets and a wide range of skiing which are less expensive and a lot less crowded.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Have a look at La Tania and Courchevel 1650 as well though for a cheaper base as I think both would suit you.

Thanks Dia FindTransfers for your suggestion. I did try but there seems to be very few ski in ski out hotels at La Tania and Couchevel 1650...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, we have paid the flight tickets so are fixed to 3V in February. You have made a very vivid point about visibility at lower altitude. Maybe I should consider staying at Meribel then...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is one in Mottaret, at least one. Nice and central as well, but quiet at night.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

There is one in Mottaret, at least one. Nice and central as well, but quiet at night

Filtyhphil30k, I am looking at this Hotel Les Arolles on tripadvisor. is it a good choice?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's the one, it is very central and ski to door( subject to people being in the way)

Night life minimal. Location excellent. I would say a good choice.

Expensive enough to keep the riff raff out.

Just have look at the piste map as there are a few reds as well.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Close to a green run that you can get your ski legs on.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think Mottaret would be a good choice if you can find something there. In Courchevel 1650 the Hotel Le Portetta is well nice but not cheap. If you only booked your flights so far you could still look at other French resorts as well maybe? Avoriaz could also be a good choice and the ski area is excellent.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for the advice. I will book the Hotel Les Arolles then. It has free cancellation policy anyway... I was very comfortable with most of the reds last year when we were lucky to have very good weather throughout the week. Keeping my fingers crossed for this upcoming trip...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dodohong, there are plenty of ski-in ski-out hotels in Meribel and you'll like the Altiport area (where most of them are) for gaining your confidence. Mottaret is less suitable for a nervous skier and more exposed IMO. Both will be better than VT for you in February though. La Tania has one ski-in, ski-out hotel - the Montana which is now run by Alpine Elements. Agree that Courchevel Moriond (1650) would also be a good choice in the 3V's.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dodo hong
You say you've paid for flights but why does that restrict you to the 3 Valleys? Where are you flying to?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergmeister wrote:
Dodo hong
You say you've paid for flights but why does that restrict you to the 3 Valleys? Where are you flying to?

Courchevel altiport obviously...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bertie bassett, I am flying to Geneva airport. I guess you are right, there are other options from Geneva. Do you have any suggestions?
ski holidays
Les Houches, Megeve, Les Gets - anywhere with below tree line skiing
snow report
dodohong, there are loads of choices from Geneva, some of them closer. When you say "ski in/ski out hotel" do you mean an actual hotel, or would you consider a catered chalet? What is your budget? And would you consider something close to pistes (ie a short walk, rather than put your ski on at the front door, which does rather restrict your choice.
ski holidays
and another question - will you be hiring a car or looking to book a separate transfer?
latest report
pam w, I plan to book a bus or shared mini-bus transfer, and prefer ski to the door hotel. You see, I am petite and don't have the muscle after skiing the 3rd day to carry the skis back to the hotel... My budget is £800 - 1,200 per person for half-board, depending on the facility.
latest report
dodohong, catered chalet?
snow report
pam w, I love catered chalet with friends and family. But there are only 2 of us on this trip, don't think we can afford one. I have never shared a chalet, just don't know what to expect.
snow report
Quote:

don't think we can afford one.

they are no more expensive than hotels, in general, and your budget should be fine. As for "sharing a chalet" it's not unlike "sharing a hotel"; you don't have to sleep with them. wink
snow conditions
Quote:

As for "sharing a chalet" it's not unlike "sharing a hotel"; you don't have to sleep with them.

You don't?? Shocked
latest report
Hi Dodohong, I would second La Tania as a great base for the 3 Valleys. I have stayed with Snow retreat, certainly less than 100 yards walk (more like 50) to the slope, via the elevator (really is very manageable, someone on here has probably measured it wink And I am sure their price is a lot less than 1k for each for the first week in Feb.
Regards,
Wakkitt
snow conditions
Quote:

My budget is £800 - 1,200 per person for half-board, depending on the facility.

Quote:

But there are only 2 of us on this trip, don't think we can afford one.

£750 got me 2 weeks catered chalet in Les Coches, Paradiski, with Ice & Fire last year, admittedly in January not Feb, loads of catered chalets available in your price range, much more sociable too, though some prefer to keep themselves to themselves in a hotel.
latest report
dodohong, it sounds as though you liked the Three Valleys and therefore want to return and ski some more of this wonderful domain. If the Arolles prices suit you, I think that would be an ideal location for you. I have stayed there, though some years ago. The situation could not be more convenient, not just ski-in ski-out, but right in the middle of the Three Valleys, enabling you to ski in whichever valley the weather is best on the day. I wasn't terribly impressed with the food but I've had a quick look on Trip Advisor, and nobody seems to have complained about the food lately.
snow conditions
Thank you for all the suggestions. I manage to get a room at Le Portetta at Courchevel1650. will definitely try one of the other resorts suggested next time Very Happy
latest report
Well done, it is a really lovely hotel and the food is excellent! Have a great time! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy