Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PYRENEES SNOW REPORT 2013/2014

Poster: A snowHead
Fantastic conditions persist in the Central Pyrenees. This week once again has seen another 25cm on top of the massive snowfall last week, and with snow falling again above 1000m and temperatures falling our resorts should expect another 10-20cm today and overnight.

Current snow depths in our featured resorts are:

Luchon-Superbagneres: 115/145cm
Peyragudes: 95/150
Baqueira Beret: 215/285

With relatively quiet slopes - the skiing at the moment is amazing. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great conditions here in Andorra too! As Jon Ford has been reporting, the forecasts have been overly pessimistic all week, including today where the supposed storm has so far materialized as merely a couple of hours of snowfall at midday. It's very overcast, but perfectly skiable. Yesterday was a different story (as surely tomorrow will be), weather-wise:

The whole of Grandvalira is open apart from one solitary steep red piste down the north face in Soldeu's Solana valley (which lacking a bit of snow, but skiable enough if you go carefully). I think that's the most comprehensive opening of the season so far.

Anyway, I have to say that I was hoping for more from this storm! With luck it'll put in another appearance tonight.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had one of the best day's snowboarding of my life on Sunday Toofy Grin, right up there with the best moments in Baqueira from last year. Guess the (Andorran) resort:

I now get why I never quite understood the place; I didn't have a high enough level! Now that I can take its mountainsides on, I have to agree with another snowHead who's a big fan of the place on these threads wink, and say that it's a spectacular resort. The amount of accessible, challenging off-piste available is incredible.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pyremaniac wrote:
The amount of accessible, challenging off-piste available is incredible.

Sadly my guests so far this season have not wanted to include a day at Baqueira. Skiing wise it is an awesome resort and the off-piste is fantastic, though as a place to stay I have my reservations as it is a pretty soul-less place. Hopefully I will back over that way soon though to be honest the skiing at Superbagneres and Peyragudes has been top notch this season.

Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski Guide, I agree, Baqueira town is the last place I'd want to stay in that area! There are some much prettier places further down the valley.

But Baqueira-Beret it's not, in the photos. katedenhaag will recognize it, if she's checking in on this thread this year...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pyremaniac, Give us a clue ? So better than Baqueira ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pyremaniac wrote:
Dr. Will, fantastic - you've convinced me! I'll definitely give it a go this season. (I never made it to Puigmal despite years of saying I would, and am now living to regret it.)

Bad news for this season I'm afraid:-

A sad state of affairs, apparently due to 9.2 million € of debt.

Please sign the petition to help save some of the best skiing in the whole Pyrénées.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dr. Will wrote:
Espace Cambe d'Aze is certainly a hidden gem. The map doesn't look particularly impressive at first glance

But if you look at it carefully you will notice the reasonable altitude difference and different continuous red/blacks you can use. When I first skied there a couple if years ago, only finding out about it by recommendation of a local, I half jokingly described it as my second favourite resort after Chamonix! Complete absence of crowds, a real in the middle of the mountain feel with trees aplenty wildlife, glades, bowls etc, and the runs are deceptively long- lovely groomed cambered rolling reds, the central black is one of the steepest and most challenging blacks I have been on and the central red in the middle is in the middle of a great free ride area. Also some off piste and a lovely slope side restaurant in Eyne.

On the one hand I want it to stay hidden for its authentic local Pyrenean feel but on the other hand I desperately don't want it to go the same way as Puigmal, another of my faves!

Now just need to convince my drag lift phobic snowboarder friend to tolerate at least half a day in it!

The current map is better as it's based on a real photo:-

You can also download it from their site.

. . . . and you are so right about "deceptively long". If you can manage the whole of that central red (17) after recent snow then you're definitely fit. However, I would warn that there are only two runs marked as blacks, it can be easy to get lost trying to get from Eyne to St. Pierre dels Forcats and if you start high from the top of M you'll have to do half that central red and the cross link (IV) which is so flat it would be Hell on a board and that there can be bad queues for the only chair (A). If your snowboarding friend doesn't like tows: L is marked as over 50% and it is for a short stretch at the top and M is marked as "difficult" but isn't that bad.

Snow conditions there are superb at the moment as with most Catalan resorts. They actually benefit from being in the sunniest part of the whole of France because they compensate for the great weather by having abundant snow canons. This means that as long as it's cold enough at night, the pistes have excellent snow cover regardless.

By the way, I live in Saillagouse in the winter which is why I'm so damned annoyed about Puigmal!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Pyremaniac, Give us a clue ? So better than Baqueira ?

It's Arcalís, Andorra's little secret. Better than Baqueira? Impossible to compare really, because Baqueira is a huge resort by Pyrenean standards whereas Arcalís is a small place. But for its size, Arcalís punches way above its weight! Aside from its many gullies and its open faces, it has a spectacular tree run. My "Snowboarding the World" book has a quote from a pro snowboard photographer, Mike Weyerhaueser: "This place reminds me of Verbier but in miniature. It's so out of keeping with the rest of Andorra. Hopefully no-one will believe me." High praise indeed!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pyremaniac, Cheers. I'll try and give it a go Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have signed the Puigmal petition! In the end we didn't make it to Espace Cambe d'Aze due to snow on our final day forcing us to not end too late but we still managed to spend a day at each resort- Jan 30th at Les Angles, 31st Jan At Grandvalira and 1st Feb in Font Romeu, keeping the drags to a minimum...

Only had to use chains once on way up to Les Angles (a touch hairy getting to Grandvalira the following day but we made it just and sun started shining through as soon as we got on the runs...) and was rewarded by a fresh powder topping on top of the best conditions I have ever skied Les Angles in. Brilliant conditions on the most difficult runs (Esquirol, Peborny and new area of Costa Verde that was steep enough to require jump turns!) Powder in Font Romeu also transformed the runs, Bouton d'or that is usually a moguled ice fest was fantastic. And great sunshine to make the most of the Grandvalira day trip- made it from Pas to Canillo and back!

Hopefully have my friends hooked on the Pyrenees now!

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Proper bit of winter at the moment!

More images from Andorra on Monday this week:

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great conditions across the central Pyrenees today. 20cm fell overnight with snow down to 600m. Light flurries again this afternoon with more snow forecast over the weekend. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
During the last few days there have been some significant snow falls across the central Pyrenees. Heavy snow is continuing to fall and the forecast is for more tomorrow, though very strong winds may cause some issues. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Between another 30cm and 50cm yesterday and overnight. Storm force winds have closed Superbagneres this morning and most of the lifts at Peyragudes, Baqueira Beret is also affected. Freezing levels will rise by the end of the week and stable milder weather will set in.

Current snow depths:

Superbagneres: 165/195cm
Peyragudes: 120/180cm
Baqueira Beret: 205/335cm

When the storms die down there is going to some great powder to play in Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Same story in Andorra, where the winds closed all but the lowest areas in all resorts.

Pal-Arinasl: 130/180cm
Grandvalira: 140/250cm
Arcalís: 180/280cm

Thursday looks like it'll be epic!
ski holidays
Currently in El Tarter for the week. Storms on Tue which shut the upper half of the mountain but left plenty of snow behind, but now warmer weather is apparently moving in; up to 15C in the afternoon Sat/Sun. There was sleet and running slush at street level, wet snow on the last run down this afternoon. But lots of fresh snow in the last few days. Last day skiing for us on Friday so we've resolved to get up earlier the next two mornings.
latest report
With two full weeks of non-stop sunshine and spring temperatures behind us, the Pyrenees have inevitably lost a bit of their snow cover, but thanks to the hefty amounts of snow that were already there, you'd hardly even notice! The pistes still have good or even excellent cover in the central and eastern end of the range, and off-piste you still only see a few places where the ground shows through. It won't take much to get it back on form.

Current levels:

Grandvalira (Andorra): 140/250cm
Baqueira: 145/325cm

There'll be some rain or sleet tomorrow, but hopefully then some real snowfall over the weekend as the low pressure front comes in and brings lower temperatures with it. The season's still got plenty of life in it yet, even if the smaller French resorts such as Gavarnie -- which depend almost entirely on School holiday trips etc -- have already started closing as usual. Espace Cambre d'Aze closes on Sunday and I'm going to try to pay a visit before it does so.

The powder day of two weeks ago, in Arcalís:

Last week's back-country excursion on southern slopes overlooking Grandvalira on the opposite side of the valley:

snow conditions
We may have had spring skiing conditions for almost two weeks, however the snow has returned with a vengence during the last week with snow on and off most days. Since Saturday there has been over 50cm of fresh, and today the snow has continued to fall with snow down to 600m.

The last couple of weeks of the season are going to be great, empty slopes, fantastic snow and the sun is due to reappear.

Current snow depths in the central Pyrenees:

Luchon-Superbagneres: 180/210cm - Powder
Peyragudes: 120/180cm - Powder
Baqueira Beret: 145/325cm - Powder

Tomorrow is going to be fantastic Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy