Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian resorts...!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

I've been reading this site for ages for advice and finally have reason to start my own topic - thanks for all the advice I've stolen over the years and passed off as my own knowledge Wink

We are a group of early 30s looking to travel end of Jan/start of Feb 2014. We love Austrian oompah, après skiing early doors and not spending time with brits; we go away to be abroad and lose ourselves in another country rather than spend a week in Little England!

Recently we've done St Anton, Ischgl and Solden. We're looking at Saalbach next but finding it hard to get reasonable digs. We've DIYed it the last couple of trips but finding it hard to locate pensions that will take all 8 of us and the packages seen quite dear - say £900 for half board and very few options for B&B, which we'd prefer for the flexibility as we often don't go home at all until way gone 9pm!

We've discounted other resorts such as Mayrhofen as we want to ski back to resort and Kitzbhuel looks a bit all over the place.

Can anyone suggest reasonable places to stay in Saalbach and/or other resorts that will satisfy 150km plus, few requirements for buses and lively après ski (I don't ask much!!!)

Thanks

BB
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Badbobby, £900 seems a lot. Crystal are showing Sporthotel Berger - half board - inc flights and transfers for £780 (25/1 for one week) - plus they have a 2:1 lift pass deal.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't help much with accommodation but can Saalbach is top resort. You will love it.
Should be plenty of B&B type pensions on their website and I always thought it is cheaper than the resorts you mentioned.
We stayed there, very nice, run by English couple: http://www.pensionenzian.com/en/index.asp
It is fairly easy to DIY with flights to Salzburg and relatively short transfers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode - thank you, but a lot of the tour operators give a cheap "headline rate" by defaulting the room choice to 4 sharing, which is 2 on a sofa bed and 2 in a bedroom, which isn't ideal for us as it's 2xcouples and 4x single men!

Tom W - thanks for the info. I really do hope it's a good choice! So many pros and cons on t'internet that I'm never sure what to believe!!! I'll try the website properly tonight and email a load more pensions.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Badbobby, it's not a high season week so get negotiating.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Badbobby, That Crystal deal is two sharing - and that's a nice hotel in a great position. Obviously, if the single guys want their own room, they will need to pay a SRS.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller wrote:
Badbobby, £900 seems a lot. Crystal are showing Sporthotel Berger - half board - inc flights and transfers for £780 (25/1 for one week) - plus they have a 2:1 lift pass deal.

Where have you seen this 2:1 offer?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode - I'm grateful for your help, but I've been all over this with Crystal - it's 2x double/twin rooms plus a 2-4 room. So it's 4 in the last room. We can get round it by getting an extra single room so it's only 3 in the large room, but that increases the cost by £70 p/p
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FEnoit, it's buy 1 get 1 half price, so it's a 1/4 off, not 2:1.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fenoit wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

Where have you seen this 2:1 offer?

Ah, it's a mistake on their site. Says 2 for 1 but when you go to the Ts&Cs Austria isn't even mentioned. Naughty Crystal.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aaah ok thanks. That's annoying that this offer was not about last week when I booked for Saalbach (w/c 28th Jan).

Anyone know whether they will offer it retrospectively as we havent purchased our ski passes yet?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry, yeah, not 2:1 - it's BOGOHP
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fenoit wrote:
Aaah ok thanks. That's annoying that this offer was not about last week when I booked for Saalbach (w/c 28th Jan).

Anyone know whether they will offer it retrospectively as we havent purchased our ski passes yet?

Here I mean w/c 25/1
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Badbobby, have you emailed the tourist office? There are plenty of pensions if you turn right from the Schattberg gondola and walk up the road towards Hinterglemm (lots within 5/10mins walk)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Badbobby wrote:

We are a group of early 30s looking to travel end of Jan/start of Feb 2014. We love Austrian oompah, après skiing early doors and not spending time with brits; we go away to be abroad and lose ourselves in another country rather than spend a week in Little England!...

...Can anyone suggest reasonable places to stay in Saalbach and/or other resorts that will satisfy 150km plus, few requirements for buses and lively après ski (I don't ask much!!!)

Whilst we probably don't meet your accommodation needs and we're on the edge of the village, have a look at other accommodation in the Hochkoenig region. Its similar altitude to Saalbach, 150km pistes, lots of new infrastructure, plenty of Apres up on the mountain in all the alms and very, very few Brits. Maria Alm is probably your best bet for Apres, though Dienten has everything right at the bottom of the piste.

www.hochkoenig.at/en
snow report
Saalbach - possibly the easiest resort to DIY:

DIY flights to Salzburg. From there, book a VIP minibus from the Holiday Shuttle people ( www.holiday-shuttle.at )

On the assumption that the Enzian is full (but you should contact Kevin and Sarah anyway) Pensions/B&B on the main road:

Norika, Iris, Hotel Konig, Hagar, Gappmeyer all back on to the beginners' slope, so you can ski or stumble down from the après straight into the boot room.

Chalet Michaela, Mulk, Hagleitner, Glemm Lodge, Good Times are all on the road towards Hinterglemm - 10-15 mins stagger along the road, or ski bus or a taxi.

www.saalbach.com is the tourist office website - or just call them and ask for some options.
snow report
Thanks Quinton

I've just emailed about 15 pensions, located by googlemaps... Will see what they say!
ski holidays
So my friends have found a deal in Mayrhofen that they like.

Which resort is honestly better out of Saalbach and Mayrhofen? I've heard a lot of stuff about the queues, busses and not being able to ski back down, which I really would miss. All of that majorly puts me off Mayrhofen...

Can I have your honest feedback before I decide if it's worth fighting for!
latest report
If it helps, my fond memory of S-H is its lift-served, genuine circuit of the mountains meaning that is is easy to ski down to a different snowfront from one day to the next, grab a beer or two and catch a freebie bus to your digs. In that respect, it's all very well connected but you'll probably end up finishing at the goaßstall more often than not. Laughing
snow report
Got some friends with a guesthouse/BnB in Saalbach. Owned and run by a brit family with a top award on trip adviser... check 'em out...

http://pensionenzian.com/en/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy