Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Softshells and layering options

Poster: A snowHead
After spending the past few weeks deliberating on whether to go for either a hard or soft shell (and trawling through every thread on here I can find), I've come down firmly on the side of a soft shell, mainly due to the increase in breathability, and that they are a lot cheaper (allowing me to spend more on other layers). I've decided I'm not too concerned about it being waterproof - just able to handle snow.

I've narrowed my search down to two Rab pieces, the Exodus and the Vapour Rise (not the alpine or lite versions). The Exodus has the benefit of a lift pass pocket, but the VR is lighter and more weather resistant as well as more breathable. Does anyone have experience of these two? Is there anything else around the £120 that offers hand warmer pockets, pit zips and bright colour choices in similar fabrics?

I'm thinking I'll get a Rab Meco 120 baselayer, and then am wondering what to do about a mid layer? I had thought about something like the Patagonia R1, ME Eclipse or Rab PS Zip, but reading about how VR works maybe I would be better served with a VR Stretch - to maintain the wicking as well as possible. Will I need a mid layer at all (probably going to the Alps in March this season)?

I'm also quite keen on getting a synthetic jacket for cold days/inactive moments or around resort, either a Rab Xenon X, Rab Strata or if I really want to treat myself an Arcteryx Atom LT. Seems like the Strata and Atom could be worn as a beefy midlayer as well as on their own. The Atom has the benefit of being something I would be able to wear about town too.

Lots of Rab gear mentioned, not bought any before but from trying it on in the shop it seems well made and at a great price.

Would be grateful if anybody else can help with thoughts/experience of the above.

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A couple of weeks ago I was thinking about a soft shell as a change from a hard shell (gave up the padded jackets back in the 80s and used goretex walking jackets ever since). I use a Gul soft shell as my main daytime jacket which is also good for sailing and casual cycling and love it.

Did a bit of an Internet search and found out about the Flylow Higgins jacket. Has fab reviews and cheaper than the Arc'teryx options. And can buy in black!! Bought one from a Colorado ski shop for £167 including P&P (Powder 7). The £74 import tax VAT was a shock Crying or Very sad There is a Euro Flylow website - 319 euros

This should be fine for my planned off piste adventures this year. Will carry a pack able hard shell for massive dumps.

I have a Rab mid-layer fleece which is great. Also have Musto mid layer fleeces too. I use Ice breakers merino T-shirts. Never see the need for more layers.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had a look at the Rab range. The Baltero looks very suitable for skiing too. All great prices too. Should be able to get a deal.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dibergio, ha it's uncanny as I'm in exactly the same frame of mind as you and have been looking at replacing my old softshell for a rab exodus and my current midlayer (mammut kain jacket) to a rab ps zip top.....

Is it true the vapour rise is more breathable that the exodus

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 10-10-13 11:20; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomb, I don't know about 'true', having learnt from my research that there is no definitive answer when it comes to breathability (or anything else regarding outdoor clothing).

However it was reading this article (http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_best_softshell_in_the_world) that persuaded me that the Vapour Rise is a closer match to his perfect soft shell (shelled micro-pile).

Another comment I read about the Exodus was that the hood can weigh down the jacket, making it slip off the shoulders a bit if unzipped.

I wish Rab did either the VR or Exodus in Orange, the VR's vivid blue is too much like purple (on my monitor) for my liking.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah thanks for info.... I've browsed over that Andy Kirkpatrick article before, but isn't the article a few years old now??

You considered the scimitar jacket? It's a combo of the exodus and sawtooth so is more lightweight than the exodus, but seems more robust than the sawtooth jacket, which seems more of a 'walkers' jacket.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Went to Cotswolds today looking to try on the VR and Exodus - tried the Exodus and think it's pretty good, however could only find the VR Lite to try in a larger size. I did have trouble with the liner sticking on my arms, so I think I might just go for the Exodus.

Have you come across any other soft shells with arm pockets, that come in bright colours? The Montane Tigertooth Pro only comes in black annoyingly.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Personally I'm really liking the exodus.... In the neutral black I think it looks good with my lime green salomon salopettes!

As far as other brands go haglofs and mountain equipment both have particularly vibrant colour schemes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't tell you the number of times I've changed my mind over this over the last few weeks, but as the Nov 30 bash departure looms large, I took advantage of the fact that I had few hours to kill in London. I headed over to Covent Garden and did the rounds of all the ski 'super' stores.

Anyway whilst not wishing to bore you with all of the details, suffice it to say, I have settled for an Arc'Teryx Gamma LT softshell backed up with an Alpha SL Hybrid hardshell.

These items are by no means the most technical garments available, but after weighing up their relative merits, my requirements and of course cost (the 10% Ellis Brigham discount helped here!) these stood out by some distance from the competition.

Anyway, I guess time will tell Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andyman, what EB 10% discount?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andyman, I thought arcteryx gear was as technical as it comes? Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow there are a lot of jacket threads going on here.

The Arc'Teryx Gamma LT looks just about perfect for me - just that it doesn't have a sleeve pocket (now thinking about the Gamma MX instead). Just when I was about ready to splurge on the Exodus again. Would love to be bored by the details andyman!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dibergio wrote:

The Arc'Teryx Gamma LT looks just about perfect for me - just that it doesn't have a sleeve pocket (now thinking about the Gamma MX instead). Just when I was about ready to splurge on the Exodus again. Would love to be bored by the details andyman!

I think the LT has a sleeve pocket from the pictures that I've seen?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swishtony, nah, the MX does, but not the LT and SL.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dibergio wrote:
andyman, what EB 10% discount?

Basically one of the perks to becoming a Super or Mega sH is quite a few discounts on products. More info here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=489

tomb wrote:
andyman, I thought arcteryx gear was as technical as it comes? Puzzled

As a brand yes, I meant the particular models I have opted for are not their most technical (sorry for confusion! Embarassed)

Dibergio wrote:

I had originally been looking to go for a single tech top, and the favourite was the Venta SV Hoody. This is a genuine windstopper but suffers for that by being a little less breathable. After discussing this with the shop, it was clear that given my normal ski profile, this was likely to end up with overheating (or large amounts of time with pit zips open Shocked )

That meant favourite became Gamma LT or Gamma MX (both hoody - that was a must for me) I originally wanted to go with the MX but a combination of things led me to believe the best for me was the LT - that was handy because by now I had already decided for definite to also go with the Alpha hardshell and the LT definitely felt better under that. I guess its just personal choice that last bit - oh and I was mega shocked (favourably) as I hadnt realised the LT was significantly cheaper than the MX - so even more justification for the Alpha Smile
ski holidays
andyman, tried on the MX and LT today and whilst they are both great, I favour the MX because of its sleeve pocket (don't know if I'm being silly about that). Why did you go for the LT?
snow conditions
Dibergio, Agreed the lack of arm pocket is a minor annoyance but what made my mind up finally? I think it's the look of the chest pockets on the MX, there's something about them that I just, well, not sure but def preferred the LT in looks and general feel.

I should also say that the lack of insulation on the LT (compared to the MX) was of no importance as the fit of the LT meant I could wear a thin mid layer under it which actually give me even more flexibility! I guess it's horses for courses they are both awesome shells.
snow conditions
andyman, I think I know what you mean - they aren't your typical look. Hmmm.
snow report
andyman wrote:
Dibergio, Agreed the lack of arm pocket is a minor annoyance but what made my mind up finally? I think it's the look of the chest pockets on the MX, there's something about them that I just, well, not sure but def preferred the LT in looks and general feel.

I should also say that the lack of insulation on the LT (compared to the MX) was of no importance as the fit of the LT meant I could wear a thin mid layer under it which actually give me even more flexibility! I guess it's horses for courses they are both awesome shells.

Am I missing something here.... another thread also says the LT has no sleeve pocket..... according to this there is one:

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/arcteryx/mens-gamma-lt-jacket/233195

Or is this an older model?

Love the look of the LT, other than the pocket issue is this a good ski jacket, just wondering about how waterproof it will be. Is it quite a slim fit?

Thanks!
snow report
swishtony, the LT without a hood does have a pocket. The LT with the hood, doesn't. For what reason I don't know.

Had a thought today that I would just go for the hoodless LT, but I want to get it in the Orange colour they have, and apart from importing from the US I'm buggered on that one - only black/grey available here.

I tried on the MX again yesterday and I still can't decide. I did though buy a Arcteryx Aphix hoody today - which will be my warm layer for winter here in the UK, might put the shell on hold for now...
ski holidays
Dibergio wrote:
swishtony, the LT without a hood does have a pocket. The LT with the hood, doesn't. For what reason I don't know.

Had a thought today that I would just go for the hoodless LT, but I want to get it in the Orange colour they have, and apart from importing from the US I'm buggered on that one - only black/grey available here.

I tried on the MX again yesterday and I still can't decide. I did though buy a Arcteryx Aphix hoody today - which will be my warm layer for winter here in the UK, might put the shell on hold for now...

Thanks! I'm so struggling on deciding! I do like the MX as well and like the idea of either jackets with the hoods, the only thing I dont like with the hooded jackets (generally) is that when you fully close them the jacket covers the whole bottom 2/3 of your face, I like to choose whether to have that covered or not so figured the non hooded ones would be better?

Have you tried the hooded ones on, if so how far up did the collar come when fully zipped up?

Cheer
snow report
Dibergio, My LT Hoody just arrived today. Yup IMHO I made the right choice Smile

Slipped on my (ancient but sooo good) Columbia OmniTech Micro fleece and merino base, although snug, it all feels great.

swishtony, I have a similar dislike with hoods, but as I try at all costs to avoid using my hard shell and as a result use the softie pretty well all the time I am skiing, I really wanted the hood. Obviously not tested yet but I am hoping the volume adjustment will keep things under control in that area.

Now the thing is, do I really need those Theta SV Pants ..... Shocked
snow report
andyman wrote:
swishtony, I have a similar dislike with hoods, but as I try at all costs to avoid using my hard shell and as a result use the softie pretty well all the time I am skiing, I really wanted the hood. Obviously not tested yet but I am hoping the volume adjustment will keep things under control in that area

So do you feel with this jacket the collar is not too in your face, if you'll pardon the pun! Because it is a soft shell is is kinda easier to scrunch it down and out of the way - hope that makes sense??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy