Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soelden: Gaislachkoglbahn or Giggijochbahn? Any 3-star accommodation advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having entertained the possibility of chancing a cheapo week in Italy Dec 14-21, Mrs idlehands and I have now decided to aim hiigh early in the season, so looking at Soelden. Never been.

Looking at the piste map it seems Giggijoch would be the better choice of uplifts (though I understand it tends to get more crowded in the morning than Gaislachkogl) as it's more central and has quicker access to the glaciers. Not really so much concerned about the apres, it just seems Gaislachkogl is a longer way to start from if we're going to avoid buses. Does that sound about right?

Also, if anyone's got any recommendations for a good B & B / 3-star, I'd be happy to report back on whether they're still good places to stay Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The gigijoch gets busier first thing cause all the ski schools are up there and its a slightly older slower gondola, after about 930 the queues die down quite quickly. the buses are free and its about two minutes between the two stations the map makes the village look bigger than it is.

The Wildespitze, is a good b&b nice and central, 2 minutes walk from the gigijoch and a short bus ride to the gaiskogl, its also next door to the two skiworld chalets in town and you can ski down into Marcos bar just over the road which is handy.

The lifts all link across the whole area well and quickly so it doesn't really matter which lift you choose to get up there.

Hope this helps
Nick
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stayed >here (Granat)< B&B 3 times in early September: superb value 4* for ~ 40eu p.p (discount for return visitors) and their late autumn season prices run to the end of Dec. It's short walk to Giggijoch and includes free access to pool/sauna facilities in the Freizeit Arena opposite.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
idlehands, I can't help, but what fabulous sounding place names! Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stayed a couple of times in Pension Jacqueline (http://www.jaqueline-soelden.at/) and Haus Kathrin (http://www.appartementhaus-kathrin.at) but they are nearer the Gaislachkoglbahn. Definitely a quieter part of town in every sense but walkable to the "Strip" where most of the action is in the evenings. The two places are side by side as it is a family affair. Kathrin used to be an Austrian A Squad racer but got mustered out through injury. She runs the appartment house and Mum runs the B&B. Both very good and the appartments are finished to a very high standard.

Loads of choices for restaurants in Sölden as well - I usually stay in the apartments and do self-catering for brekkies and eat out in the evenings.

Linking from the Gaislachkogl to the Giggijoch and glacier areas is easy and certainly less of a crush when things get going. The cable car is brand new - only installed in 2010.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If it was me I'd prefer to be closer to the Gaislachkogelbahn over the Giggijochbahn. If your desperate to get the Glacier ASAP you can get off at the mid-station and take an easy ski down to the bottom of the 31 chairlift to the Rotkogljoch and from there you traverse to the glaciers - 2 lifts, the same as if you went from the Giggijoch. In itself some of the best (and quietest) skiing is to be had on the Gaislachkogl - the piste map doesn't due justice to Red1. Also if the snow is poor the Glacier bus will be an option and you're closer at the Gaislachkogl end.

With regard to the Glaciers you'll probably find that the Rettenbach (where the world cup run is held) won't get much sun during the time of year you're going which will mean it is quieter but can be cold with flat light. The Tiefenbach starts to get much busier mid-morning onwards so it really is worth getting up there early.

Can't help on the accomodation I'm afraid, I've always done self-catering.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with geoffers, stayed there two years ago - really top spot and nice hotel.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mattmulkeen wrote:
I agree with geoffers, - really top spot

I agree the kaseschinkentoast is fab and its the best espresso in town.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice.

No doubles available at Granat on our dates, so we're going to try the Garni Romantik, just a stone's throw from the base of the Giggijochbahn. Gets good reviews and we wanted a place that serves breakfast. Not that bothered about the apres, but that end of town also presumably has more evening restaurant options.

Tirol, thanks for the info about the glacier skiing and particularly the Glacier Bus. I thought skiing over was the only way to get there Embarassed
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
idlehands, Salino's down by the shell garage was our night off dinner spot, I'd avoid Giggi Tenne though pretty much all the people the rep booked in there weren't happy with it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy