Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Multiple long weekend trips to the alps - best / cheapest travel options?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

So, it looks like the OH might be spending the winter working in the French Alps (resort not confirmed yet), lucky girl.

I have therefore decided that if she's going to be out there skiing every day, I at least want to visit a couple of (long) weekends a month, a decent size (4 / 5 days) trip over xmas, and probably be out there for the last couple of weeks of the season (April).

My question, given the number of trips I'm hoping to make, what's the best / cheapest / quickest option for me?

I'm hoping to do long weekends - travelling over thursday night after work, and back on the sunday evening...

I've been looking at flights, but Geneva seems to be the only airport where midweek flights are possible, and a transfer from there looks expensive and time consuming.

The only other option I can see is a late night eurostar to paris, quick change, and then an overnight french train down to the alps from there.

Have I missed anything?

Are there "frequent flier" points / discounts on any of these (or other) options?

Thanks for the help!

Matthew
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Two of my kids are at Uni in England and often do the long weekend trip to Geneva with EasyJet. If you can get your flights booked as soon as you get your dates sorted there are some good prices to be had, which can off set against the transfers. Have you looked into getting a half price Swiss railcard card?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
good point re the easyjet flights vs transfers, thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jellemr, You can get discounted tickets for French railways, they are called PREMs and are released 90 days before your date of travel. It's best to search for these on the SNCF website but there are only a limited number on each train and they go quickly. Trains leave Paris every evening at around 10.00pm and arrive in Bourg St Maurice at about 06.00am, they drop off carriages for other locations in the Alps enroute.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Where are you starting from?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ivor Shed, Thanks for the info. I'll do some searching Smile

homers double, Devon - so not ideal at all!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jellemr, sounds like easyJet Bristol - Geneva is going to be your best bet if you can get to Bristol early enough to get the 1750. Late night Sunday flights back are always going to be expensive. For such short visits I'd probably rent a car, to get the most out of the time. Get one of those "favoured customer" things so you don't have to hang around.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks pam w, I was just on the Easyjet site looking at that option!

I presume the "favoured customer" thing is to do with car hire?

I do have family in Berkshire, so could drive that far, then get a train to london and then the Eurostar onwards, but again that seems like a lot of hassle.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I presume the "favoured customer" thing is to do with car hire?

yes; we're all just oiks on easyJet, though they have managed to convince some people it's worth paying extra to get onto the plane first!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jellemr, Did a lot of this last year, Ebookers was my friends for cheap as chips flights with Swiss and Lufthansa
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers Fattes13, I'll take a look.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jellemr, yes, most of the car hire firm let you join a frequent client club whereby if you store your driving licence and credit card details, also elect whether or not to take insurance extras, etc. then picking the car up is as simple as turning up with membership card and ID at preferred priority desk (generally no queue at all) and being handed the keys. Unlike the usual 45 minute faff as everything gets checked and photocopied, etc.

When we were based in london and flying out a lot it was a major advantage although we did sometimes get rude comments from the lengthy queues of non-priority clients.

Or can't your OH pick you up?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, this sounds ideal....definitely wont want to be doing the 45 min queue / faff....

We're not sure at the moment whether the OH will have access to a car / van..
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote]
Devon - so not ideal at all!!!

Bristol's the route my son uses (he's in Cheltenham) there is a really good selection with Easyjet when the season really gets going, as Pam W says they are a bit more spenny on the Sunday, but again get them booked in advance. When I'm not in Swiitzerland Bristol is the airport I use from Devon...forget Exeter.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy