Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The world's first permanent outdoor plastic ski slope ... turns 50!

Poster: A snowHead
SKI TORQUAY CELEBRATES ITS 50TH BIRTHDAY!

It had to start somewhere, and it's thanks to a 1963 decision by Fred Pontin - holiday centre tycoon - that the world's first permanent plastic ski slope happened in Torquay. The BBC reports on its 50th anniversary, three days ago (5 October) ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-24429116

And here's what the Torquay Alpine Ski Club, who run the slope, have to say ...

http://www.skitorquay.co.uk/2013/10/02/50-years-of-dry-slope-skiing/
"We have stood the test of time, and today Torquay is proud to be the oldest surviving dry ski slope in the world still in operation. An Anniversary Dinner ... 5 Oct 2013 ... with the following attendees: 3 times Olympian and World Cup Ski Racer Chemmy Alcott, Olympic Ski Jumper “Eddie the Eagle” Edwards, two representatives of the Swiss Ski Resort of Champery, members of the club who were present at opening of the slope and who were part of the first ever group to qualify as UK Artificial Slope Ski Instructors."

Fred Pontin cuts the ribbon on 5 October 1963

Fabulous British Pathé news film on the opening ...

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/have-skis-dont-travel/query/Torquay

... with stunning footage of an early indoor ski event in the Great Hall of Alexandra Palace ('Ally Pally') in London. Alexandra Palace stands on one of London's big hills and soon after that event it opened a long-running outdoor plastic slope in the adjacent park (where I taught skiing in 1975-6 after gaining a BASI licence).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Happy 50th Torquay and many thanks for many many hours of fun on your slope, it only seems like yesterday that the Colonel KitKat was telling me off for jumping and Ron Batley was saying keep your legs further apart OMG where have the last 25 years gone.

There will always be a little bit of me in the slope at Torquay (actually part of my face! after catching my tips doing this)

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brilliant! Yes, takes some guts to do that on plastic. Did you need ... err ... plastic surgery?

It's good that Torquay isn't just famous for Fawlty Towers (Torquay's leading ski hotel, perhaps).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Brilliant! Yes, takes some guts to do that on plastic. Did you need ... err ... plastic surgery?

It's good that Torquay isn't just famous for Fawlty Towers (Torquay's leading ski hotel, perhaps).

(A bit off topic) The view of Torquay from Fawlty Towers..
http://youtube.com/v/tcliR8kAbzc
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes - excellent view of Torquay artificial slope from that room, but disappointing view of the Matterhorn.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have fond memories of Ron Batley (one of my coaches) and Rob Poole who was a great trainer. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:

and Rob Poole who was a great trainer.

totally agree he always had some great little hints to make you ski better! and if you end up reading this Rob, I am really sorry for taking the p*ss when you cut your top lip open in Les Arc Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
livetoski, Rob had me skiing through moguls pretending to be various animals and also yelling "thank you" at the top of my voice to every snow snake hiding under the bumps! I have never laughed so much in a training session as I did when I was being taught by him!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
livetoski, nice head band wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kat.ryb, thanks I did love that head band, so 80's, along with the 2 meter skis and the mustache Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

1963 was a significant year for artificial ski surfaces in the UK. Ten weeks after the Torquay slope opened, two Swiss brothers who had taken over the Mar Lodge estate in the Scottish Highlands opened a new ski area ... serviced by "Europe's largest artificial snow making plant covering an area of 20 acres". There were two t-bars, restaurants, parking for 1000 cars and even a children's creche.

The Panchaud brothers' optimism in setting up the venture was understandable - the first months of 1963 were the coldest in Britain for over 200 years, with large parts of England seeing continuous snow cover from January to March.

A good account of the Mar Lodge project: http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/skiresorts/history/marlodge/index.php

Sadly the venture failed, due to the vulnerability of the snow to rapid thawing and a couple of mild winters.

1963 (January) was also the year that BASI - the British Association of Snowsport Instructors - was founded.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Comedy Goldsmith, nice post, cool old skool vibe snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fond memory's of Mount Torquay Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, nice post, cool old skool vibe snowHead

Thank you - I'm honoured. I was thinking that a combination of Torquay and Mar Lodge led ............... eventually ............ [insert roof and walls] .......... to what you operate [with many more bells and whistles!]
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had no idea about the history of the slope, went there by accident on a family holiday in the 70's and was forced into throwing myself down the short plastic thing that hurt like hell when you fell over.

Leather boots and skis that were far too big ( they didnt have any kids skis at the time), walking up the slope in the scorching August sun for a 10 second slide down. Thinking that shorts would be cooler and a good idea to ski in. A brilliant instructor with boundless enthusiasm ( despite my inability to turn right for the entire week )

I cant concieve my life without skiing, I owe that tiny hill a great debt ( or do I mean that hill has caused me great debts Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
There was a slope in Erlias park sports centre in Colwyn Bay, North Wales, run by the North wales Ski Club back in 1962. It used Dendix Snowslope which in 1972 was changed to Ski Mat with predictable results.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy