Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freeride maps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Anyone bought these and found them useful. Seem a bit steep but could be a good investment

http://www.freeride-map.com/landingpage.php

Also has anyone bought them in the uk or got them delivered?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They are alright...
But if you can read a map (i.e contour lines & features etc) then the normal French / Swiss / Austrian topo's will give you exactly the same information at half the price.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haggis_Trap, yes, normal 1:25,000 maps are good (except the Italian ones, which only have 25m contours instead of 10m) and these are especially good combined with books describing off piste routes, where these exist.
I do have one of those Freeride maps (Andermatt) which was rather small compared to normal map sizes but marked very general areas of easy, medium and difficult skiing and forbidden areas. Without descriptions of specific routes I found it only moderately useful but I wouldn't want to put you off. I found the coloured areas made the map a bit harder to read.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think descriptions or suggested routes would make them much more valuable, having said that they seem to have lots of information in english and would be helpful.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Re cost, I assume they just modify the normal maps and have to pay for the privilege.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
i have one for the grimentz area and would not bother as the 'added value' is really a few arrows showing routes which any guide or local can tell you in a few minutes over a normal topo map. if you have no guide or locals to speak to then it may be another matter..
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep, I've bought a couple and had them delivered to the UK. I pretty much agree with all the comments above. They are OK, but you are better off with the regular maps, guide books and some local knowledge gained from asking guides etc. I don't use mine much when I'm skiing, the colouring makes them hard to read, but they are handy to look at for planning / inspiration.

What areas are you looking at? There are some good OP guide books for some places (E.g. Cham, Val d'Isere, La Grave/L2A, St Anton, Monterosa) that would be a better investment.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am looking at Austria, this year Fieberbrunn/Kitzbhuel and then will probably go back to Mayrhofen at some point.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah, I'm not aware of any books for those areas... I'd say the FR maps are worth a look in that case, but try and get local tips when you are there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy