Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Mont Blanc - Combloux-Megeve Jailet-La Giettaz-Cordon 13/14

Poster: A snowHead
I wouldn't say no to a repeat of last year Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
now that's just greedy.... wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Well it's obviously pre-season temporary snow but, still, it was looking lovely today and was the signal to start thinking about winter snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just had a snoop around the webcams, looking very healthy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
10 cm here in La Giettaz overnight ( after much rain yesterday) and still snowing lightly snowHead snowHead Very local lift not yet open so will be interesting to see what happens. Combloux/Jaillet side has been open though limited and suffering Foehn wind effects like everywhere.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Still snowing! More opened Combloux side and La Giettaz looking hopeful Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is this the right thread for Les Contamines? Has anyone been out there recently? We're going to be there for half term and the snow (via the webcams) is looking good. The snow level has gone up a bit on the upper slopes and they've opened the Veleray lift today (I understand that it's quite often closed) so it must be good.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geetee, I've not been to LC this season but I'm sure you're right - the snow should be good, and if the Veleray sector is open, that's excellent. The bottom runs down into the village are probably a bit thin - but I never bother with them anyway!

Good change - for good or ill - before half term, of course!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry igLou - you started this thread and it's me who's in the best position to update it…. and I've been rubbish at doing so! Apologies… BUT the good news is that the snow is so lovely at the moment. I have been out a fair bit this week and the pistes have just been brilliant. Knee deep and mostly upnpisted at the beginning and then pisted with a soft fresh layer on top the last couple of days. Did some off piste after the fresh fall and then again today in a lesson. First impression today was that it was slightly compact but no crust, and then there was lots of "ah ouais" from my instructor as the snow proved to be nice and soft after this and a few "yes ok, erm I mean ouais, ouais" as I tried (unsuccessfully as it turned out) not to fall over.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
miranda, Laughing Sandrine? Very Happy

Two weeks for us. Looking and sounding very good. Just need to divert Parisians somewhere else wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
miranda, thanks and please keep the news coming! Happy There's more snow in the forecast so hopefully plenty of opportunities to practise your powder turns.

igLou, +1 Happy Are you flying or driving?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geetee, driving on the Friday - would you like to follow us for full weather reporting en route ? wink I was only thinking of that the other day Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
igLou, Sure, that would be great thanks! Are you aiming to arrive on the Friday too? We're starting off on Friday, stopping in Troyes overnight, and then aim to arrive in Les Contamines sometime after lunch on the Saturday.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geetee, yes, departing early Friday and going straight there Very Happy Coming back on the Sunday.
snow report
A short ski and long lunch today. The intention was to meet friends in the Bonjournal (at the liaison between La Giettaz and Combloux) and then ski all afternoon, but after a very lardy lunch I was just ready for a nap Embarassed It was quite cold and the pistes a little harder today but not in a problematic or icy way at all - if it weren't for overdoing it a bit at lunchtime I'd have happily stayed out. The pisteurs board yesterday said 90cm at 1200m.

igLou, yes, I was with the lovely Sandrine. She is as fit and strong as ever after last year's injuries - she's very inspiring as I've been so lazy of late. She was pointing out some stuff that she was planning to ski that requires crampons to get up to… I've just been defeated by croute au fromage and a vin chaud Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
Wow. What a beautiful day it's been here - beautiful blue skies and sunshine. Over to Mont d'Arbois today, as we went to meet the Director of Bass Megeve. I'd been thinking that we didn't really have any instructor contacts on that side of the ski area, and I also noticed that they offer 3 day performance clinics, that I thought some of our guests might be interested in doing. He's a really nice guy - so much so that I was even convinced into allowing him to film me skiing (I've always thought all the people on here going to clinics and being filmed skiing were very brave!) Lots to work on of course, but I was surprised to find watching myself ski for the first time wasn't quite as hideous as I was anticipating! It was also very helpful.

Afterwards we skied around St. Gervais for a bit. Everything's in good shape and it was a great day to be out on the pistes. I've said elsewhere on the forum that things are a little quieter during this part of the season than we're used to, but I have to look on the bright side of that and say that it's giving me a chance to really take advantage of this beautiful ski area for a change!
snow report
miranda, sounds like a great day. snowHead
snow report
miranda, thanks for the update. It sounds like it's been a great day! Smile
ski holidays
Just back in Les Gets after a terrific day in Les Contamines - over there and skiing by 9.30, the snow was first class and the day just magical with blue skies and sunshine. Met up with friends there - mobile phone reception not good but they spotted us from a lift and yelled - and we then all skied together. Great lunch outside in the sun and eventually back to the cars about 4.30. Long day for us!
latest report
Pamski wrote:
the snow was first class and the day just magical with blue skies and sunshine!

My thoughts exactly, and so glad the day was worth the early start from Les Gets for you! Definitely hoping to use one of our decouverte passes to go to Les Gets this year, so we will be in touch to see when you are around.

I have to also put in a word for a new ski shop on this thread, who have opened up a new ski hire shop just a few metres down the road from our chalet. They are not actually the ski shop we have a professional relationship with (so I have nothing to gain from this recommendation as they are not the guys giving us free hire skis or anything like that), but the guy *really* knows his stuff and all the kit is brand new… and then you see the prices and go Shocked

http://www.alpesaventures.com

The website is still all in French at the moment (English version on it's way I believe) but if any of you are coming anywhere near La Giettaz and want to go for these amazing deals, then I will help you if your French is not quite 100% (even if you're not staying with us). In fact, I think the deals are so crazy I'm going to post this on the La Clusaz thread too - definitely worth an extra 15 minutes' drive from La Clusaz for this I think.
ski holidays
miranda, that looks great Very Happy Is that the place that is just before the bend to the right as you leave the village? Freddy who does the snow-biking? Shocked Laughing I can see the appeal of that though will stick to skiing!
snow conditions
igLou wrote:
miranda, that looks great Very Happy Is that the place that is just before the bend to the right as you leave the village? Freddy who does the snow-biking? Shocked Laughing I can see the appeal of that though will stick to skiing!

That's the one, yes. We've already had a couple of groups do this (mountain biking down a slope once the lift has closed for those who are also reading this thread and don't know what we're talking about). All blokes... really feeling like I should go do it to represent the ladies but *unfortunately* they've all been booked in for dinner in the bar afterwards so I haven't had the time. All have said it was a brilliant experience but - reading between the lines - I think one or two people would be honest enough to admit they might have had to change their pants at the end of it wink I say, in all sincerity, hats off to all of them… I get the impression it's definitely an adrenaline experience, and one where people have surprised themselves by how much they've gone for it/held back - it's not always the experienced mountain biker v non mountain biker outcome that had been expected.
snow conditions
ps, waffling away and forgot to say that there's a nice couple of inches of fresh here at 11.20 pm (1200m). Still snowing...
snow conditions
Quick update on conditions (am trying to remember to update this thread as I know some of your are coming over to the Evasion Mont Blanc region soon)… Didn't get out yesterday as it was snowing lightly for most of the day, and thus cloudy, and - much as I want to make use of my freedom to ski at the moment - I also feel allowed to be a bit "fair weather" about things.

Today my friend had to go to the supermarket in Praz sur Arly, so I went too and then got dropped off at Le Jaillet at about 2 in the afternoon to ski for a few hours round there and then back to La Giettaz. Coming up in the bubble, there was a run that looked like it was getting slushy in the afternoon sun (personally I am a weirdo who quite likes slush so wasn't too perturbed) so was thinking the south-facing side of the area (La Giettaz is the north-facing side) might all be like that this afternoon… But I was completely wrong and it was obviously just that run - which is always the most vulnerable in the area - as I skied around for 2.5 hours and nothing was slushy at all; all quite lovely in fact. Blue skies and sunshine again, nice snow, and another lovely day to be on the pistes. Very Happy
snow conditions
Thanks for the update miranda! I think there's more snow in the forecast for tomorrow. Smile
ski holidays
Had an outing with chums on Sunday around St Nicolas and St Gervais. Could generally see jack. So I have no idea where we were.

Some little pockets of loveliness side piste. Pistes generally in great shape although if you know what you're looking at it's clear that there's little base and the off piste was somewhat "lumpy" with many "terrain features" not filled in.

Very pleasant lunch at "l'Alpage".
snow conditions
Managed to stop being so fair weather and apply rule 5, or rule 9 or whatever it is and got on this lift, despite the call of a vin chaud by the fire... so glad I did - a fun couple of hours
although was in serious need of the vin chaud after that!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice!!! Smile
snow conditions
So I guess those of you coming out this way for half term would like to know how things are looking. I wimped out of the heavy snow and white out on Friday and then it was snowing a fair amount over the weekend (I didn't ski). pam w said it was rain down at the supermarket in Megeve on Saturday afternoon so I guess the snow limit must have been just below 1200 at that point (both the chalet where I am and the bottom lift in La Giettaz are at 1200m) as it was snow here. Was definitely snow and not rain when I made the trip to the supermarket in Megeve the following morning.

Snow again yesterday and I had a lesson from 3.30 - 5.30. Went up to do a few runs at 2 and it was very snowy and low vis. Then at 3.30 I went up with my instructor and it suddenly stopped snowing, the cloud lifted and there was even a lovely view at the top. She had said the off piste might be pretty crusty as there had been wind high up but we should take a look… and, wow, it was just absolutely perfect, so much so that she said we couldn't waste all the beautiful untouched snow, and took me down a more challenging route she'd been planning for another day. One or two falls from me but so, so much fun. Then, just as we were finishing up, the cloud descended and it started pelting down with snow again… what timing!

Clear for the next couple of days, then possibly some rain. Chamonix Meteo saying precipitation "probably starting up towards the middle of the day ‑ light ‑ rain‑snow limit towards 1500 m, dropping" for Thursday… the snow depths are really decent now, though, so not too perturbed by that at that moment.
snow conditions
Since spending more time in the mountains I've realised that a bit of rain doesn't do as much damage as you might have thought, on the pisted runs, provided there's a reasonable depth, as there is now. Can't speak for the off-piste. Your lessons sounds fantastic, miranda. snowHead
snow conditions
The freezing level looks like it might rise a bit before the end of the week and we'll be bringing some rain with us. Hope it doesn't do any damage and the level drops again.
ski holidays
geetee, I'm fairly sure people were on here were worrying about what would happen with the freezing levels this week - certainly someone on the weather forum said something along the lines of "pack your wellies" - and then it has snowed all week… apart from today which was just glorious, fresh snow underfoot, sunny, blues skis, the moon making a late afternoon appearance next to Mont Blanc… Cool So, I will do what I always do and just look at what Chamonix Meteo have to say and cross my fingers… but there's 130cm at the bottom lift here at 1200 and, as Pam says, a bit of rain (even a full couple of days of it) might not be the most fun weather conditions to ski in but - in my experience - is not a problem with that sort of depth in place on the pistes.
latest report
Woke up to the sound of the snowplough and some snow clearing going on, so was obviously snowing in the night - as it wasn't me doing the snow clearing, I can't give you cms I'm afraid, but it is snowing heavily here now.

The forecast doesn't look too bad at all. Chamonix Meteo suggesting the freezing level might be at 2000 tomorrow, but there's only a slight shower risk, so if there is a little rain after this snow, then it doesn't sound like it would be much at all… forecast is then for more snow on Sunday.

Yesterday was just magical. The snow is in such good condition. Will probably not do much (if any) skiing at all over the next few weeks, as it is school holidays, so wanted to make the most of it. Did an off piste route and managed to get my OH to come along too, which turned out to be handy as he very generously offered to carry my skis as we trekked uphill for a while to get to the start… I did carry his poles for him in return! Am sort of being tempted to get out again for a bit today but in fact the muscles around my left knee (the one I had an ACL reconstruction in 18 months ago) are a little sore today after 3 days of off piste skiing and me working them harder than I have since the operation (no swelling thankfully)… so I think I should be sensible and give it a rest… and anyway, there's lots to do here as one our most demanding guests ever arrives tomorrow wink

Looking good for half term! snowHead

photo by Chalet La Giettaz, on Flickr
snow report
Thanks for the update miranda it looks great! Look after your knee and get back out again once half term is over. Is next week likely to be the busiest of the holiday weeks?
ski holidays
geetee, yes, next week is going to be the busiest week of the season - UK + Paris half term…. it'll still be lovely in Les Contamines though.

Having just seen some other weather reports, looks like we're doing well to have it falling as snow and not rain here. It's a little sleetier now than it was earlier, but still on right side of snow/rain thankfully! Looks like a white out on the hill though, so definitely a rest day for the knee.
snow conditions
ah well… our luck rant out, as I was anticipating as it would have been rather strange for us to be in a magic bubble and escape the rising snow line. Looks to not be too high a snow line but it's definitely rain down here. Still, all the trees have plenty of snow on them and it's supposed to turn back to snow later (our car which was also clear last night still has a decent wedge of snow on the roof from what came last night/this morning) so doesn't look like it's doing too much to worry about. Guests calling it a short day though and heading back for a sauna or going to the swimming pool - can't say I blame them!

edit - and just as I typed that it turned back to snow…. quite windy now though!
latest report
So I've not been updating this thread as I was doing so for the benefit of people coming over here at half term, and also as I've not been skiing myself during the school holidays… but as I've just had an email from someone wondering/worrying about snow conditions (she'll probably read this and know who I'm talking about wink) I thought I should do another post. Also, we'll have the pleasure of seeing igLou again in a few weeks' time, so should so some updates for her too!

The worries about the late snow right at the start of the season seem a long way away now. Snow levels are really decent - 145cm at the bottom lift here. British guests have been very happy with the quality of snow. Our French guests have enjoyed the sunny days and then did some short days last week when it snowed a fair amount… always fair weather skiers! They were happy enough, though, and it kept the pistes very nice and quiet, despite there being 2 French regions on holiday. New guests were astonished when I said it was one of the busiest weeks of the season. Our friends are out most days and say the off piste is generally in good nick too… so all in all, things are good. Very Happy

geetee, hope you had a great half term holiday. Saw a couple of pictures on FB of you skiing here with our mutual friends - hope you enjoyed it, despite the bizarre sand situation! snowHead
snow conditions
miranda, we had a fantastic time thanks and were amazed at just how quiet it was considering it was half term. I think as only one French zone was off it made a big difference. The only big-ish queue we encountered was on the Friday at the top of the first Bettex lift as people were waiting to get onto the second gondola. We loved the area and are definitely coming back next year. Les Contamines is a little gem of a resort and perfect for our friends that we went with. One prefers cross country skiing and the other likes both that and downhill. Our place was only 10 mins walk from the Nordic area and less than 10 mins to the gondola. We loved our day with igLou and family over at La Giettaz and Combloux and had a fab lunch at the Auberge du Bonjournal. igLou posted a photo on FB of the view we didnt get due to the low cloud. All in all an excellent trip topped off with powder, sun and empty runs on the last morning. A-mazing!! Smile

Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 3-03-14 11:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Oh and the sand phenomenon was very strange. Lemon meringue pie topping!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy