Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sochi Winter Olympics saved by cigarette lighter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/f5M5lBpHahY

The Guardian also has more sinister stuff this morning:

All emails, calls and web traffic to be intercepted, via new 'FSB' [KGB on steroids] security overlords. Sochi will go into complete lock-down, with 40,000 police, 5000 CCTV cameras, and a total ban on protests ...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/06/sochi-olympic-venues-kremlin-surveillance

Apart from that, it should be a super-friendly Games!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously the Olympic flame never goes out!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm pretty sure that for the London 2012 torch relay they had 'spare flames' in Davy lamps from the original source in case the torch went out, rather than a bloke on standby with a bic lighter.

Lucky really that Russia is still a nation of heavy smokers, as all good olympians should be.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes. I think the man with the cigarette lighter should be invited to run into the opening ceremony with his lighter aloft, smoking a fag. And the lighter should go to the IOC museum in Lausanne:

http://www.olympic.org/museum
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Comedy Goldsmith, yes, just down the road from me too. I'd pay to see it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://sochi2014.blob.core.windows.net/storage/games/schedule_sochi_en.pdf Sochi timetable.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Olympic flame for Sochi, like for most Winter Olympics, was lit at Olympia in Greece. Whilst this is entirely appropriate for the Summer Olympics, personally I'd like to see all Winter Olympic flames lit in Norway in Morgedal at the home of the pioneer of recreational and competitive skiing Sondre Norheim, as has already been done for the three Winter Olympics of 1952,1960 and 1994.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Comedy Goldsmith, one differnece I spotted compared to London 2012 - no one watching the flame go by. In so many places in GB the crowds were five or six deep even early in the morning
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thought that the flame had to originate from some special flame? Hence the flame in london being followed by a spare flame in case of such incident...

i think this is a sign of things to come in sochi rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
chrisb wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, one differnece I spotted compared to London 2012 - no one watching the flame go by.

Except 'bloke with cigarette lighter'. The hero of the 2014 Winter Olympics, without question.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I thought that the flame had to originate from some special flame? Hence the flame in london being followed by a spare flame in case of such incident...

i think this is a sign of things to come in sochi

I think this is the only fully transparent process in Russia.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
in Russia its different, here in GB the spare flame was carried around in a Davys Miners Lamp, indeed it even had a special seat on the plane when it arrived, in Russia they are much more pragmatic, they have it carried around by a 'mutra' in a lighter. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chrisb,
Quote:

Comedy Goldsmith, one differnece I spotted compared to London 2012 - no one watching the flame go by. In so many places in GB the crowds were five or six deep even early in the morning

Were you making this comment based upon the video above? If so, I'm pretty sure this film was taken just inside or just outside the Kremlin itself and consequently any crowds would have been kept well back behind a barrier. Then again, I'm not sure the Russians are likely to go quite as potty as we did about the flame itself. I never really 'got' the whole business of watching the flame go by. Nice to peer out the window as it passed, but I'm not sure I'd travel far to see it. Like the video above it does tend to be a fat man in a dodgy tracksuit carrying a slightly daft looking torch.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu, yes it was inside the Kremlin and it's closed to the general public afair.

Btw, that 'fat man in a dodgy tracksuit' is a legend - he saved 20 people from the bus which fall from the bridge and sunk in over 10m deep ice cold river. He dived and pulled them out one by one... Nearly died from pneumonia after that though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Respect!!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy