Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montafon, Goldeck help!!! 2015 Trip!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to organise a school ski trip and I have been offered these two places for our trip. The problem is that I have no idea about them. Anyone got any insider info from previous trips etc? Goldeck looks nice but I believe has few runs. I'm not sure what to make of Montafon. Usually I like resorts where we are close to the slopes etc rather than long coach journeys to the slopes. Previous destinations have been Arinsal, Kitzbuhel and This year we are going to Saalbach Hinterglemm.
So, and ideas anyone?

Thanks

Colt
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Coltnet, Goldeck is a small ski area above quite a large town called Spittal An Der Drau, probably where you'd stay, and a cable car takes you up to the area from the edge of town. I skied it yonks ago. To be honest it's more of a locals area rather than a destination ski resort like Saalbach. Bit of an odd choice - probably cheap.

Montafon is a beautiful valley - all depends what specific resort you've been offered.

Out of interest, what operator? This could be a good place to get feedback on them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, it is Active4 I believe. Never used them before although I could be wrong. I have had lots of contact from company's so could be wrong. Not sure which resort in Montafon. I need to check but could not find my quote on email. I do prefer resorts like Saalbach or Kitzbuhel due to the amount of piste etc. our kids at Arinsal started to get a little bored and that was with 80km I think. I thought Goldeck was cheap. The skiing just doesn't look amazing and the hotel I think is a little too far for me I think.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Coltnet, I see from their site they offer Ski Amade (which would be a good choice) but the hotel is in Werfen which is probably 10km away from the action. Montafon not listed, nor is Goldeck. They also "big up" some places for being snowsure at Easter just because they have snow cannons - I think you should ask some hard questions. Are you planning half term or Easter?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Coltnet, Bode Swiller, try looking under Goldegg - it is an adjunct to the St Johann/Alpendorf part of the Ski Amadé. Very much a single mountain and if you are staying in Werfen (lovely wee town) you will be better served b entering the whole system at Alpendorf where there are 3 Ski Schools including the only one that operates at Goldegg (the wife of a very good friend runs their ski school outpost at Goldegg).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Coltnet, Hi there. I can't comment on Montafon or Goldeck, but for a school trip there are advantages and disadvantages to being close to the slopes. Much will depend on the age / make up of the group. The advantages of being by the slopes are obvious - convenience, ease of access to the slopes from the accommodation and ease of access to the accommodation from the slopes. But for some groups you might want to consider the possibly greater availability of alcohol at the bottom of the piste, or the risk of those school kids having a race down that red run on a dining tray 'borrowed' from the hotel at 03.00am.
If you are a short coach ride from the accommodation, it is less convenient, but it does give greater control. You can count the group onto the bus each morning and count them back on again after skiing. If the hotel is too easily accessible, will little Johnny decide that his feet hurt in those nasty boots and he is just going to go back to sit at the hotel for an hour? If he does this, will he tell you or will he wander back on his own?
If you use a bus each day, will that mean that you can use the bus to give access to other ski areas covered by the same lift pass? For example, on day three or four, can you use the bus to drop the beginner group off at the beginners slopes, and take the rest of the group to a different area? If the tour operator says you can do this, get it in writing in case they have forgotten to tell the drivers this
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have done Montafon a number of times. If you let me know what resort/accommodation I may be able to advise further (PM if you don't want to put too much publically). Also, what time of year?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B, the accommodation is the Jufa Montafon. I believe it is in Kaltenbrunnen I think maybe.
JohnHSmith, I haven't had much of an issue with our kids as of yet. They seem to 'freeze' when out of their comfort zone usually. Touch wood!
Samerberg Sue, isn't Goldegg and Goldeck two different places?
I have also been offered the Jugendhotel markushof in Wagrain. Never been to this area. If I only get a local lift pass here is there much skiing?
Thanks so far everyone!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Coltnet wrote:
isn't Goldegg and Goldeck two different places?
yes, you asked about Goldeck.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Coltnet, half term or Easter?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller, half term for sure.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Coltnet, There is the Ski Amadé pass and the Salzburgerland superski pass. If you are with students the Ski Amadé pass is more than adequate. Depending on the highest level of skiers you have, you will not get bored, nor will you scratch more than the local slopes to be honest.

BTW if they are offering accommodation in Werfen, then they would not be transporting you each day to Goldeck to ski, as that would require a double transit of the Tauern Tunnel per day! Hence my suggestion that accommodation in Werfen would most likely be combined with skiing at Goldegg which is above Schwarzach/St Viet just off the B311

I took lots of school and youth groups to this area for many years and actually found that it really offered everything we needed in terms of terrain for all abilities as well as a good range of evening activities. I concur with JohnHSmith's advice re the coach travel having distinct advantages over ski in/ski out. Count them in and out each morning and evening and no-one can go walkabout. As for visiting other areas, you need to co-ordinate with the ski school instructors. There is a huge amount of terrain in the Ski Amadé region that is well interlinked and you do not really need your coaches during the day if your drop-off point is a reasonable one.

I do not know the Markushof but I know where it is located and it's position does make keeping the group quite together easy as it is a long haul back up to it from the village. Like most of the Jugendhotels it has lots of activities on site aimed at keeping the group entertained. The Egg lift is right by it and your skiers would be able to ski down to the Flying Mozart lift each day more or less from the hotel.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue, you've definitely mis-read the whole Goldeck/Goldegg thing. He was offered Goldeck, the place above Spittal a. d. Drau. Seperate to that I noticed that Werfen is shown on the operator's site as a base for Ski Amade (which I suggested as being a far better area) and just mentioned it, that's all.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, yes I misread the original! Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Coltnet, I've not stayed at the Jufa Montafon but it's a nice place. It's only been open a couple of years. The nearest skiing is at Golm, although Hochjoch is very close. Both areas will be fairly quiet at Feb - not sure I'd want to risk them at Easter unless it's very early.

If you're considering Montafon, find out which ski school they will be using, and which resort as the base. If you have an area pass and are happy to travel around then you can ski a different mountain every day. However, some ski schools are reluctant to do this, especially if you have a lot of beginners.
ski holidays
hi, i went woth school a number of times to the Montafon valley in Austria i think we stayed in gaschurn. The skiing is really good, we stayed just outside the small town and the coach took us to the slopes every day although there was a very old rickety lift at the bottom of the road. The hotel we stayed in was the vermala or wermala (its a long time since i was there) there is another hotel called the sports cafe which we also used. Our school went for so many years and i would fully recommend going with your school. See you in saalbach this coming winter.
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, I think I prefer resorts that do not require lots of transport between areas. So maybe not here then.
jghalifax, as I say I'm not that keen on long coach journeys to the slopes. So maybe not here then. Too excited about Saalbach to focus fully really! I think Wagrain may be best for me from what I've heard.
snow report
literally 5 minutes to the slopes, dont be put off by that
snow conditions
Coltnet, your journey time to the top of the hill would be less overall as the lift queue will be shorter. You'd be no more than 5 mins on the coach.

Wagrain is lovely though too!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy