Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern accommodation recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
On a recommendation, we are planning to go to Obertauern, Austria in February for family ski holiday with kids (11 and 9). Does anybody have suggestions for reasonably priced family accommodation - ski in and out would be fantastic? Any other good tips, such as ski schools, also much appreciated. Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hotel Steiner. Willi Grillitsch ski school.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glocknerin. Ski in ski out, great pool and spa, and as it is a 6 euro or 15 min walk to the centre of Obertauern,suprisingly very good value for the excellent quality. We are (once my daughters uni exam timetable is sorted), going there this February.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hotel Steiner is very good but may not be your idea of reasonable priced
Have stayed in the Snowwhite in the past which is also very close to the slopes but most hotels give easy access to slops
Have also stayed in Pettersbull which was fine but not as good as the above two
Not used ski school for a long time so cant help there
Overall I would descried Obertauern as a great family destination
Can be cold if weather is unkind but snow conditions have always been good the times we have been there
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frau Holle has great location and is a very nice hotel.

http://www.luerzer.at/en-skihotel-holle-obertauern.htm

They have a good ski school attached.

http://www.luerzer.at/en-skischool-obertauern.htm

It's a great area with an excellent snow record.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Couple of years since I've been there but it's a great place. Enjoyed the Latschenhof - quite small, friendly and decent value. Couple of minutes walk down to the bridge across the road then ski down to the chairs/ski school. The Steiner was very nice too but a fair bit pricier.

Obertauern is an easy place to get around - the town is very compact and the skiing is on all sides. Which hotel you choose does tend to dictate where you start in the morning. From the Latschenhof/Steiner end you'll start down at the North end. Sonnenkopf I chair gets you on to a nice Blue (15a) which is a great place to start the day and has the Sonnhof hut which is lovely. If you pick a hotel at the other end of town then everyone starts on the Edelwiess chair. Ski Schools at both ends so its worth working out getting a Ski School and Hotel on the same side of town to save a 5 to 10 minute walk along the main street each morning.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Luerzer....isn't that a knocking shop? Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arctic Fox, think the Lürzer's own a lot of stuff in Obertauern, so that wouldn't be a suprise. Somebody did build the Freudenhaus recently... and the Lürzer Alm is epic Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frau Holle owns everything else!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Friends of mine stayed at the Hotel Steiner, a few years ago, and said the food was terrific.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stayed at Hotel Enzian twice, it was lovely, ski-in/ski-out and ideally placed for night skiing. In a quiet position but close enough to main Apres Ski bars Lurtzer Alm and Latcshen Alm.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Enzian is really nice, however I wouldn't call it reasonably priced and isn't it the wrong side of the road for the night skiing?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry, Enzian probably not reasonably priced, at last visit to Obertauern we stayed at the more reasonably priced Petersbuhel (located next to Enzian Hotel). You put your skis on right by Enzian Hotel and ski on the footbridge over the road and down to Edelweiss Chairlift, but you have to walk a short way back up to Hotel over bridge.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I stayed at the Wissenig about 6 years ago and it was good. Clean and ok food and plenty of it. Down in the valley on the Untertauern side - maybe 5 minutes walk from the Zehnerkerbahn.
It's a 3 star so prices a bit more reasonable than the 4 stars up the road but not really lacking anything except a posh wellness aea.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We stayed at the Enzian in March. Had a lovely time. Ski in ski out. Swimming pool and spa. Football table and pool table. Good food. Our 10 yr old son really liked it. I think there are quite a few ski schools. Would advice you pick one near your hotel. We used the Krallinger ski school. We are going back in December! 8 weeks to go!
latest report
Finally off on our trip to Obertauern tomorrow. Thanks for all the recommendations. In the end bit the bullet and went for the Perner, as some friends had been there. Bit more than I would have liked to pay, but swimming pool etc. were popular with kids. Will report back.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy