Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booked Zermatt - anybody know this place?

Poster: A snowHead
Couldn't be arsed with the ten hour drive to the Dolomites so I have sold a kidney and booked 7 nights in Zermatt for the end of February. We are booked into the Best Western Alpen Resort
http://www.alpenresort.com/

Situated up in the Northern part of town. I was wondering if anybody knows the hotel or that part of town?

Especially interested in where the lifts up to the slopes are and how to get to them as I am gonna try to get to lifts at opening time to avoid the heaving masses. From what I can gather there might be some long hikes with the ski boots on to get to the lifts?

Any other Zermatt tips appreciated.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 17-11-13 21:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Juddernaut, I have not stayed there but you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting to the lifts as it's not very far from the Gornergrat railway also the town centre, the Sonnegat funicular is a bit further away but might be in walking distance, the hotel should be on the bus route you should have no problem getting there or to the Matterhorn lifts. If you haven't been before you should have a fantastic time, it's worth giving up a kidney for. If you haven't already found it this site is worth looking at for information and maps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Near the Gornergrat Rail terminal. Not too far, (200 yds ish), slightly downhill to the Sunnega funicular, (500yds ish). As larry1950 says, the buses are decent also, stops pretty much outside your hotel if I remember correctly. Zermatt website has a good map
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why would you drive to the Dolomites? Are you driving to Zermatt?

PS My computer couldn't open the website ("Too many redirects occurred") Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zermatt is lovely Juddernaut, will have an amazing time. Was there last week as it was the OH's birthday. Goodness isn't the Gornergrat the most expensive railway in Europe? I have a half price Swiss railcard which I could use and it was still extortionate. Mind you on a glorious sunny autumn day I am glad we did it. We stayed in The Omnia which was amazing (I only treated him to 1 night thought) a fabulous hotel. Try to go to their Cave Tavern when you're there for drinks....it has to be seen.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball wrote:
Why would you drive to the Dolomites? Are you driving?Puzzled

Because we love the Dolomites. Plus it is WAY cheaper with better food and drink. Dollies Can't be beaten.

Debating whether to take train, or drive. Train ticket from Geneva eye wateringly expensive.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swissie wrote:
Zermatt is lovely Juddernaut, will have an amazing time. Was there last week as it was the OH's birthday. Goodness isn't the Gornergrat the most expensive railway in Europe? I have a half price Swiss railcard which I could use and it was still extortionate. Mind you on a glorious sunny autumn day I am glad we did it. We stayed in The Omnia which was amazing (I only treated him to 1 night thought) a fabulous hotel. Try to go to their Cave Tavern when you're there for drinks....it has to be seen.

I had assumed the world's most expensive lift pass covers the cost of the Gornergrat train?

Will try to get to Cave Tavern.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Juddernaut wrote:
I had assumed the world's most expensive lift pass covers the cost of the Gornergrat train?

Yes it does. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Train journey is very good. It is 4 hours long. Much cheaper that the £290 second class return from Liverpool to London of circa 2 hours. Scenery a bit better too!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have heard that if you go by train you can book your luggage on before you go and it magically appears at your hotel. Any truth in this rumour?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is it the Alpenresort, or the Alpenrose? There is a hotel called the Alpenrose, but it is at the other end of town...
Assuming it's the Alpenresort, when you arrive by train come out of the station and turn left, it's under 5 minutes walk downhill from there. There are three ways up to the slopes, the Gornergrat railway, which is nearest to you, i.e. about 5 mins walk uphill opposite the main station, the Sunnegga funicular, about 10 minutes walk away, and the lifts up to Klein Matterhorn, furthest away, a bit far in boots I would say, but you are very close to the bus stop with the free bus taking you there. You are also near the start point of the route, so the bus shouldn't be jammed when you get on.
Many people tend to head straight for the Klein Matterhorn lifts. Once you get there, depending on the time and time of year, it is likely to be quite busy. A bubble takes you up to Trockener Steg (about 25 minutes)and you can pick up a chair from there or transfer to a cable car to get right to the top.
To be honest, my preference is usually to take the funicular or even the train. If you check the timetable carefully there are faster trains that don't stop so often, you can get off at Riffelberg and connect there with a bubble over to Furi and on up to Klein Matterhorn (you are picking up the same bubble part way up as originates in the village). From Gornergrat/Riffelberg you are on the 'middle' mountain and can ski easily back over to Sunnegga/Rothorn too if you want. We tend to stay close to the Sunnegga lift and take the funicular up and then across if we want to. The three areas are pretty well linked these days. I just prefer to get onto the snow quicker in the morning rather than spending a lot of time on the lifts, but that's just my preference.
Klein Matterhorn has the highest skiing, therefore often the best freshest snow, but can take a long time to get to from the village and due to the wide glacier slopes is popular with learners and of course all the Italians heading over from Cervinia. You will obviously want to ski up there, but we often find Sunnegga Rothorn to be quieter compared to the other areas (it is the furthest away from the Cervinia link, and so less visited by people from that side of the mountain). I guess what I am really saying is don't assume you have to follow the masses to the KM lifts to get skiing every morning, as there are other ways to work your way over there.
You asked for 'tips' - here's one - if using the Sunnegga funicular, don't feel you have to slog to the top of the steps to get to the highest part of the train. If you use the lowest, bottom carriage, get off and head down (counter intuitive) there is a tunnel that takes you out above a learner area and the slopes down to Findeln (where a lot of nice restaurants are). Ski down the red to your right and you come to a chair which takes you up to Blauherd - ie you can get a bit of a run in and get off the chair at Blauherd where all the people who climbed to the top of the funicular to get to the Blauherd bubble will just be arriving..
Another tip, don't forget to hand your ski pass back at the end of the week and you will get 5 francs back.
Train transfer is great. If you are only going to Zermatt and back you can get the Swiss transfer ticket from the Switzerland Travel Centre in London £92 second class, covers return travel from any point of entry and back, you just need to do the journey in a day by the most direct route, which here is Geneva/Visp, change for Zermatt, or Zurich/Visp/Zermatt. In either case the trains are for the destination Brig. Limited or no catering on the Geneva route, buy supplies in the supermarket in the railway station. Buffet car and trolley on the Zurich route.
If you drive, you need to park your car in Tasch and take the train up from there, so you will pay for parking. Personal choice obviously but the train is a pretty relaxing way to travel and obviously pretty punctual.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

if using the Sunnegga funicular, don't feel you have to slog to the top of the steps to get to the highest part of the train. If you use the lowest, bottom carriage, get off and head down (counter intuitive) there is a tunnel that takes you out above a learner area and the slopes down to Findeln (where a lot of nice restaurants are). Ski down the red to your right and you come to a chair which takes you up to Blauherd - ie you can get a bit of a run in and get off the chair at Blauherd where all the people who climbed to the top of the funicular to get to the Blauherd bubble will just be arriving..

This is a very good tip from scotsgirl. Long time since I have been but our preference was always to start at Sunnega and work across, and I can verify that the above tip works well.

Another tip if you use rental kit....use Flexrent, you can leave your kit with them overnight to save you carrying it to and from the hotel every evening and morning, they will even move it between base stations overnight if you tell them where you will want to start the next day. So for example pick up at their shop opposite Sunnega in a morning, then drop off at their shop at the base of the Kleine Matterhorn in an evening and ask them to move it back to Sunnega for the next morning or vice versa.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the info peeps.

scotsgirl The hotel is called Alpen Resort. This is where it is according to Google.

So we are talking walking distance to some of the lifts - happy days. Really want to ski from the top down to Valtourneche. 2.5km of vertical - nice. Plus I suspect I will get a proper coffee down in Italy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Juddernaut, We stayed at Chalet Patricia last year & we had the use of the Wellness Center at the Alpenrose resort. The entrance was low key but the wellness center is great, very classy, lovely swimming pools, sauna etc. so I expect the hotel is nice enough. You are not too far from the Railway station. You could walk about 400 meters to the Gornegrat railway but you will need to get to the other end of Zermatt to get the Matterhorn Express to get to Cervinia, you will spend a long time going up in lifts. The end/start of the line bus stop is less than 100 yds away so the no problem with bus being full. The bus service is frequent and calls at the lift base stations allowing you to access the different areas. On an evening, it is an attractive & not too strenuous walk along the Riverside to the bars, clubs & restaurants. You'll be fine. Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
scotsgirl, has given you great information the only thing people don't seem to realise is that there is a lift in that tunnel at Sunnega taking you to the top exit of the funicular, that is unless they have changed things since they renewed the funicular this summer.
ski holidays
We stayed at the Alpen Resort about 12 years ago. At the time it seemed very nice with good facilities, decent sized rooms and nice food. As others have said Gornegrat is the closest 'lift', but very slow. The hotel used to run a shuttle bus to the other lifts, don't know if they still do, but there is the public bus. I walked back a couple of times from Klein Matterhorn, but it is a long way albeit a very pleasant walk through the beautiful village.

It is only a very short walk into the village centre.
snow report
Thanks again ski-peeps. One more thang if you don't mind. On this map http://www.ski-zermatt.com/mattnet/pics/Zermatt%20and%20Cervinia%20Skimap.pdf there is a "bubble" that goes from Riffelberg to Furi. I think this is what scotsgirl mentions in her excellent briefing.
But in this map http://www.ski-zermatt.com/mattnet/pics/Zermatt%20and%20Cervinia%20Skimap.pdf, there is naff-all. I assume this is due to construction of a new lift? Either way, looking at the map it looks like a doddle to ski down from Riffelberg to Furi?
ski holidays
Juddernaut, your links show same map. But anyway that is a newish lift. Yes you can ski back to Furi. Used to be a fair bit of poling at the end don't know if it's any better now. Some nice restaurants at Furi.
snow report
sarah Yes it appears i have stuffed my links up in the my post. I have gone to bed with iPad so I will fix up in the morning.
I DO NOT like poling. Only consolation is that it is worse for snow boarders.
latest report
Not sure what you are looking at but there is a bubble from Furi to Riffelberg, from Zermatt itself you used to take the bubble for Schwarzee paradise changing to the cable car at Furi but now theres no need to change as the bubble goes all the way up to Trockener Steg. Zermatt seem to some upgrading every year so anyone who hasn't been for a few years may not know of the changes. Incidentally the run from the Gornergrat to Furi is a good way to start the day, one thing we found out last time was that you can catch the 7am train up to the Gornergrat hotel for breakfast BUT you can't take any ski gear with you, however you can apparently catch the 8am train up with ski gear so worth checking.
snow report
Juddernaut, you will take the Gornergrat once and then you will probably not bother with it. From where you are staying in the village I would start at Sunnega funicular and work the map from left to right, unless you want a Cervinia day in which case just go straight to Kleine Matterhorn.
snow report
The run down to Valtourneche is a must (IMHO). Pick a blue sky day and as you are either (1) standing in a queue for the cable car at Trockener Steg or (2) going up two long t bars to get over to Italy, you will think "Is it worth it?" Then that lovely blasting run (bar one stop where you have to take a short chair up and over an inconvenient little peak!) all the way down - not one for the truly expert, off piste only types, but lovely views, time to enjoy them because the run is not too technically challenging, and as of last year the guys that run the refugio at the border at plateau Rosa obligingly opened up a lovely little restaurant just above Valtourneche itself - the Foyer des Guides, if you go through the tunnel you have missed it - perfectly placed to be there just in time for lunch!
snow report
From where you are the Sunnegga funicular is likely to be the quickest way up the mountain, as others have said. A relatively easy walk and the queues generally seem shorter there than the other two routes. Consider also coming back via Sunnegga at the end of the day. If you ski down to the KM end of town there's a lot of poling plus a real scrum for the buses. However, if you zig-zag across the mountains to Sunnegga you can ski down a track that takes you to the bottom of the funicular and then a short walk to the hotel.
You also asked about sending your luggage ahead. I've used that service and it can be great to avoid the hassle of lugging suitcases on and off trains - particularly when you sometimes have short connection times - but beware that it might not arrive until the morning after you get to resort, depending on the time of your flight. A real pain if you want to get on the slopes first day before 11am and your ski gear hasn't arrived!
snow conditions
It's a nice hotel, stayed there a couple of years ago on our first date with my then girlfriend, now wife Toofy Grin

They have little electric vehicles to give you a ride to/from whichever lift you choose to use.
ski holidays
DCG, I live in Geneva so there will be no flight. Tossing up whether to drive to Tasch or train. If train, then will book skis and clobber through a week or so before to make sure they are there for the off.

Thanks to all for sharing such sage wisdom.
ski holidays
Just got back from a trip to Sweden with work, £7 - 8 per pint.
Makes Zermatt seem affordable .... just need the boss to pay for my hotel and beer bill in Zermatt too now!!!

Alpenrose is handy for the station, and is next door to the Alex where Dave and his merry bunch of guitar toting leprachauns play a few times per week
ski holidays
Thanks for info about The Alex arlberg, I will definitely check it out as I play a bit and love a live gig. Will also try to get to the Cave Tavern. Lots of snow on the Jura. Might be in for another bumper season.
snow report
Juddernaut,

Having done both means of travelling from Geneva to Zermatt I would get the train tbh. Also try the Zermatt Yacht Club (bar / restaurant) just up the road from the Sunegga lift. Nice for a bit of apres or even after dinner drinks.

Also there was a bar in the middle of the town that had a bloke playing keyboards that was worth a visit. Although he was quite an odd looking bloke, he played these keyboards a-la Rick Wakeman and was fascinating to watch / listen. I'll try and find out the name or someone else might remember
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arlberg
Dave now runs the Hotel Schwarzsee up on the mountain with his girlfriend Tanja. Still the same great band playing at lunchtimes, but I'm not sure how often he now plays in town as a result. The two of them are doing a great job up there however, and turned it from one of those places everyone used to ski past to a must stop restaurant or coffee break place. Some great times with late long lunches in the sun there, live music and then a ski right down to the village…

Juddernaut - if you like live music on the hill then in addition to the above there is sometimes music at Fluhalp and the Cervo hotel at the end of the run below Sunnegga - more so as the season goes on and the weather warms up but check them out anyway. Pity you aren't going the first week in April, the Zermatt unplugged festival is on then, with loads of live music, bands playing all over the mountain including Ronnie Scott's jazz band (if that's your thing)

dsoutar - do you mean Grampi's on the Bahnhofstrasse?
ski holidays
Quote:

...the world's most expensive lift pass ...

You haven't bought a lift pass in North America, have you?
snow report
Marco at Grampi's is a MUST DO. *Note, you must be beered up the wazooo in advance. **Marco also takes requests, all songs may or may not end up sounding like a bad 70's ad.
snow conditions
scotsgirl, Yeah - I reckon it was Grampi's. The keyboard guy used to wear a tie round his head. Is that Marco ? Defintely distinctive but boy can he tickle the ivories !
snow report
boardiac wrote:
Quote:

...the world's most expensive lift pass ...

You haven't bought a lift pass in North America, have you?

Nope and I take it back. Just looked up price for 7 day pass at Aspen. $693 USD. Eek.

Looking forward to checking out the acts mentioned in this thread.
snow report
scotsgirl wrote:
arlberg
Dave now runs the Hotel Schwarzsee up on the mountain with his girlfriend Tanja. Still the same great band playing at lunchtimes, but I'm not sure how often he now plays in town as a result. The two of them are doing a great job up there however, and turned it from one of those places everyone used to ski past to a must stop restaurant or coffee break place. Some great times with late long lunches in the sun there, live music and then a ski right down to the village…

Juddernaut - if you like live music on the hill then in addition to the above there is sometimes music at Fluhalp and the Cervo hotel at the end of the run below Sunnegga - more so as the season goes on and the weather warms up but check them out anyway. Pity you aren't going the first week in April, the Zermatt unplugged festival is on then, with loads of live music, bands playing all over the mountain including Ronnie Scott's jazz band (if that's your thing)

dsoutar - do you mean Grampi's on the Bahnhofstrasse?

Hi Scotsgirl,
We met up with Dave and Tanja last xmas and had a good laugh with them. Schwarzsee has definitely improved from the dreary place that it used to be, agree with you there.
snow conditions
Oh, nearly forgot; if you want to treat yourself to a lovely lunch, Chez Vrony in Findeln is a must
latest report
Finderhof in Findeln even better!
ski holidays
One way to keep the kidney and still drive to Zermatt is to stay in Cervinia, the Italian side. It is much cheaper. You can also park the car right at the base station (early enough say before 9:30, hop into two gondolas and one cable car and clip on the skis only when you are physically in the Swiss side.

Yes the ski pass covers all the train ride as it is "the" chairlift for accessing Gornergrat.
snow report
and still on the subject of lunches, Chalet Etoile on the Cervinia side is nice
latest report
Thanks for all the great info guys. Just got back and we had a great time but we are reeling from how expensive every is.

We were disappointed to only get over to Italy once (achieved by queueing at 8:00), with other attempts thwarted by massive queues. I hear that a better link is in the pipe-line. Strangely, getting back from the Italian side was easy but the cable-car from Zermatt side a real bottle-neck.

Let me know if you are interested in a more detailed report, but in summary none of us in the group would go back as we all decided we prefer Italy.
snow report
Well it looks tricky to get to Zermatt at the moment anyway....

http://www.rts.ch/info/regions/valais/5661295-une-avalanche-bloque-la-ligne-ferroviaire-qui-mene-a-zermatt.html

train line blocked with avalanche, road as well, no idea when they will be able to reopen Shocked so if you are there, enjoy, as you may be staying longer than you thought!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy