Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lots of skiing……without breaking the bank. How to do it?

Poster: A snowHead
eddiethebus I think PdS looks expensive against Grand Massif:
PdS - € 865.00 (€ 778.50 until 08/12/2013)
Morzine, Les Gets - € 567.00 (€ 340.00 until 15/12/2013)
Avoriaz- € 479.00 (€ 431.00 until 08/12/2013)
against €465 for Grand Massif discount rate. And GM transfers are relatively cheap (though not as cheap as Morzine)

always29 once I have all the info collated about each area properly collated, I’ll post it all to this thread, as I know I would have found it useful to have it all in one place.

Boredsurfin I don’t think I’ll be rushing for those two options! Toofy Grin

Dia_findtransfers will go and research those, thanks. And your service is great, too, we used it last year and picked up a great price on a transfer to Tignes with Whiterides.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avoid school holidays

Drive out, share a car with four of you (the maths works out with 4 in the car), or book air tickets a long way ahead, consider bus transfers to resort

Driving gives you option to bring out food, or buy provisions at the bottom of the mountain

If skiing in France consider Geneva (Swiss side) rather than Chambery

Self cater

Stay down the mountain, the further down you go the cheaper both accomodation and food and drink is, but there is a balance ref. convenience and mountain vibe where you are staying

Book skis online and in advance. Ski Republic offer BOG OFF deals

3V's offer discounts if buying as a group (small) but everything needs to go on one card

Modern skis and resorts have transformed skiing since your bad experience, I would suggest (and it is only a passing thought) that you might be better off by sharing a private lesson or two, rather than doing a week of ski-school, though I don't know what stage you are at.

Don't ignore catered chalets if you are of a sociable disposition, often there may be room for an additional couple to make up the numbers at a good price, particularly in the quiet weeks

I do a couple of weeks skiing each year, one as a boys week, sharing accomodation, cooking and transfer costs, the other as a family week, driving out, neither of which break the bank, mainly because the novelty of ski-in ski-out , expensive meals on the mountain, expensive drinking in the resort have worn off!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sj1608, Thanks! It is always nice to get some positive feedback! Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

the novelty of ski-in ski-out

11 seasons in the novelty of ski in/ski out has never worn off for me, especially on really snowy days when you don't want to get a car out of a garage (and still less out of a snowdrift) and the ski bus is struggling with chains. Nice run home, skis off, walk 50 metres, hot chocolate on. Or into a hot shower if it's that sort of day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think my point was that there are savings to be made by being prepared to drive 10 minutes up the valley. I like the idea of kicking off my ski boots and having tea and cakes in front of a warm fire, but the difference in cost c/w self catered down the valley can be 5 to 10 times, especially in school hols (my daughter is a teacher - can't take her out!). I should emphasise that this is a Meribel vs. Les Allues comparison. I could go to a cheaper resort I know.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Les Carroz is ideal for us, retired 5 years ago and spent every winter season there since, after buying Studio in 2005 and doing 10 visits per season whilst working in UK. As stated, season pass, if bought before 10th Dec, is 465 Euros with free days at LDA, Courmayeur, Verbier and 3 days at any other local resorts. Plenty of SC availability via local "Immobiliers" (multiple weeks bookable), also as mentioned before, there are about 9 "English owned/run" Chalet operators (not heard bad reports about any of them). LC is lovely village with many weekly activities, the GM area has plenty of good runs and off-piste, looking forward to 2013/14 season already.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, It`s a good ski shop though Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cstreat, Its a VERY good ski shop! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sj1608, i suspect GMs is the way forward as well. Lots of interesting looking things even in Xmas week.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I solved this problem by channelling all income from my second job and freelance work into a separate account specifically for holidays (main job pays the mortgage, bills, etc.). This means I can now afford two skiing holidays. I can't have any more than two due to time off work.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I promised to come back and update this thread with what we actually did, and am now doing so rather belatedly. There is a reason for the delay, which you’ll see if you read on.

Status at start of season
- Ok on most blues, might do the odd easy red if pushed.
- Skis owned. None.
- Might drive down once, fly the rest of the time via Geneva.
- Definitely not interested in buying a ski apartment.

Status at end of season
- About 40 skiing days in Grand Massif. Missed only two days while we were there (1 tummy upset and 1 horrible wet day). We STILL haven't been to Annecy.... and we didn't use any of the vouchers for other resorts that came with our season pass.
- Skied every red in Flaine on final trip, including a very very icy Grand Chaudron on our last day. In December 2013 I would have threatened to have given up skiing at the sight of it.
- Skis owned. Him, 3 pairs. Her, 2 pairs (justification that overall spend was only a little more than hiring each time, and they were ebay or ex-demo to keep cost down).
- Had bought winter tyres and driven down 3 times, once with the cat (although she declined to actually ski when we got there!).
- Had found a ski apartment to buy in Les Carroz but were ‘just waiting a couple of weeks for the compromis to be signed’.

The reason for the delay in reporting back is that the couple of weeks we expected to wait for the compromis turned into over 4 months, and I didn’t want to tempt fate by posting that we were buying. But it’s just gone through, so we’ll have our own apartment for next season. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

We did spend a fair amount of money, but never felt we’d spent more than we needed to, to achieve what we wanted. We tended to eat in and take packed lunches, spending out on lessons with the savings.

We stayed in 4 different places over almost 6 weeks of skiing, and that helped us to understand what we were looking for when it came to buying the apartment that we'd sworn we didn't need/want!

Cheapest stay was €116 for a week in a 4 person apartment in Terrasse de Veret in Flaine, the week before Christmas.

We rented apartments in Les Carroz via the ever-helpful Sue Lewis ( http://www.skifusion.co.uk/drupal/ ), and also stayed at Claude’s lovely B & B in Les Carroz over Christmas ( http://www.labergerie-lescarroz.com/index_en.php ). If we hadn’t bought our apartment ( Very Happy ) we would definitely go back there and, amazingly, he still has availability for this Christmas.

We spent heavily on private lessons with Lynne Stainbrook in Flaine ( http://www.frontpagetestserver.co.uk/flaine/philosophy.asp ). But they were good value as we progressed so quickly and his ‘no effort’ techniques suit our old legs. Happy

Thanks again for all the helpful advice that got us this far, and we look forward to the joys of French property ownership for next season…… Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds like a brilliant time was had Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Love this story - what a fantastic outcome. Thanks for sharing.

Good luck, sj1608 snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Personally I think you'll struggle to beat bashes for value for money. In any given season there is usually a PSB, Birthday Bash, Pre-Birthday Bash, EoSB, and a couple of others that come up during the season. Gives you variety, prices that you are going to struggle to beat even for self catering, and you will find good reccomendations for local instructors at a very reasonable price - particularly on the EoSB.

If you were so inclined you could easily go from one bash to last minute availability from a TO (the potential deals if you get in touch with them 2 or 3 days before due to return, with no flights to sort, will be quite surprising) and get more weeks that way.

Plus you get between 30 and 100+ other people to ski with, learn from, have dinner with, and maybe a drink or two.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think the OP is sorted now... Laughing
ski holidays
Though there is nowt wrong with the recommendation, of course. Owning one's own apartment is no bar to bash involvement, either....as several can bear testament to Toofy Grin
ski holidays
sj1608, always nice to hear how people get on in the wake of snowHead advice - sounds like we have another ski addict Cool
latest report
sj1608, Phew! Bet that was a long wait for the compromis. Sounds great, and excellent that you have thoroughly recce'd the area and know what you want. snowHead
ski holidays
Yes, the wait has seemed forever, with the vendors reluctant to sell, and their notaire being totally unresponsive.

The upside was that we had a chance to have buyers' remorse without the commitment! But a further 4 months of looking at everything that came on the market hasn't thrown up anything we thought was as good, so we are comfortable that we've made the right decision.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy