Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If your buying AT boots, worth a read.

Poster: A snowHead
http://mountaintracks.co.uk/blog/ski-touringall-terrain-boots-2014
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

http://youtube.com/v/63IABYfgMb0
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't decide "Mercury" or "TLT6 Mountain CR".

TLT6 Mountain lighter but are they stiff enough (currently in Titans).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
More info here .......

http://www.earnyourturns.com/18312/at-boot-review-dyanfit-mercury-and-vulcan/

http://www.wildsnow.com/10766/dynafit-tlt-6-p-first-retail-look/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB, some didn't get on with the tlt5 because of the flex in the sole sorted in the 6. I have some meastrals RS which I love. I'm just worried about wearing them out!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 4-10-13 19:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jbob,

As I understand it the TLT5 has the flexed sole but not the new TLT6.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Big thanks to Lee Lau @ TGR for comming up with the figures ....

Quote:

Alpine boots used for comparison

140 - Lange 140 RS
100 - Salomon X-Wave 9
95 - Salomon Gun
90 - Salomon X-Wave

THE LIST (stiffest ---> softest) as of March 10, 2013
-------------------------------------------------------------------

130 - Dynafit Vulcan, Tecnica Cochise Pro 130

120 - Scarpa Mobe, Tecnica Cochise Pro 120

115 - K2 Pinnacle 130

110- Dynafit Mercury

105 - Scarpa Maestrale RS

100 - Dynafit TLT6, Tecnica Cochise Light 120, Black Diamond Factor, Dynafit Titan, Titan UL, Scarpa Hurricane

95 - Scarpa Typhoon/Skookum (stiff tongue), Garmont Endorphin, Garmont Axon

90 - Dynafit TLT5 Performance, Dynafit One PX, Black Diamond Quadrant, Garmont Radium, Dynafit ZZeus, Dynafit Aero Freeride (4-buckle)

85 - Scarpa Maestrale, Scarpa Tornado/Pro (black tongue), Dynafit TLT5 Mountain, Scarpa Spirit 4 (black stiffer tongue), Garmont Adrenaline, Dynafit Zzero ("Green Machine") CF 4-buckle, Black Diamond Method, Salomon Ellipse e2

80 - Scarpa Denali XT/TT, Scarpa Spirit 4 (green softer tongue), Lowa Struktura Rodeo/Pro, Dynafit Zzero PX 4-buckle

75 - Scarpa Rush, Scarpa Spirit 3, Garmont Megaride/G-Ride, Lowa Struktura Evo, Dynafit Aero Speed (3-buckle), Dynafit Zzero CF 3-buckle

70 - Scarpa Matrix, , Old Scarpa Denali (4-buckle red shell), Dynafit TLT 700

60 - Scarpa Laser, Garmont Dynamite, Dynafit TLT 500 (2-buckle + strap), Scarpa F3

50 - Scarpa F1, Garmont Megalite, Dynafit TLT 4 Evo (3-buckle), Dynafit TLT 4 Lite (2-buckle + strap), Dynafit Zzero 2C

40 - Scarpa F1 Race (2-buckle, no strap), Dynafit TLT Race Pro (1-buckle + strap)

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/261028-AT-Boot-Comparative-Flex-by-model-*updated*
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

http://youtube.com/v/A-tW-GY5cKA
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tried on a TLT6 Mountain CR today - really light.

Do the TLT6 and Mercury have the same fit - if not which has the larger fit?

This clip says they all have a 102mm last width.

http://youtube.com/v/4w-VrvrCs_8
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, interesting flex table. My Garmont Endorphins (was originally stated to be 110 flex but 95 seems more realistic) never ski'ed well so I would like something new.

I don't suppose you know if the flex numbers are calibrated between the brands or are they the manufacturers stated number. My experience on the Endorphins makes me suspicious. Mind you if I really could get 130 in touring boots that would be brilliant. No more touring in full weight piste boots just to get a half decent ride down.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skiingian,

The figures are real numbers (not brand manufacturers numbers) compiled by people who ski the touring boots. Touring boots have come on a lot over the last few years and a real 130 flex is possible (Vulcan / Tecnica Cochise Pro 130) although the flex will probably not be as progressive as a norkmal ski boot.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB, Yep, I was a too fast with the question and not fast enough to use my brain and read the actual info provided so thoughtfully. Plenty good stuff.on the TGR thread. Very interested in trying 130 flex.. Dear Santa, I have been good....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lateral stiffness is worth thinking about as well and I found my titans very poor mainly due to a rubbish cuff adjuster that casued a lot of wobble on hard park. I ended up getting CEM to drill out and replacing with an Atomic one from a race boot and seems much more solid. Also added a dual race booster strap to beef up the flex. haven't skied em yet in agner but feels better.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob, I rivetted up the forefoot in my TLT5 Mountains to prevent the forefoot flexing but they still don't ski very well. They're brilliant for skinning but not so good for skiing. Also have some Maestrale RSs which are good for going up and down.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret wrote:
lateral stiffness is worth thinking about as well ...

That's definitely true and I've posted my thoughts here on the Scarpa Maestrale RS's already and that their sideways stiffness is something I appreciate. So while ostensibly they've not got a markedly different flex index compared to my old Spirit 4's (with black tongues), they're a much, much better downhill boot than the old Scarpas or my old Rossi lamposts ...
snow report
moffatross, are they the Lotus John Player Special colours? wink
ski holidays
When I tried on the TLT6's on saturday, they didn't feel quiet as stiff when flexing Forward but the lateral stiffness felt very good (maybe my Titans suffer from the same Problem as skimottaret).

A friend went from Garmont Endorphin's to Scarpa Maestrale's (not RS) as he also said although they are not quiet as stiff when flexing Forward they are much better to ski. Would go for Scarpa Maestrale RS's but a have a low volume foot and the Dynafit / Garmonts tend to fit me better.

Anybody skied the TLT6, Mercury and Maestrale RS's - if so how do they compare?
snow conditions
DB, which tongue did you use when trying the TLT6 out?
ski holidays
meh wrote:
DB, which tongue did you use when trying the TLT6 out?

The black stiff one.
My Titans have intution wrap liners which makes them stiffer but doesn't help on the way up.

Does the Mercury ski that much better than the TLT6 Mountain CR is the question.

Might try on a Scarpa Maestrale RS as the last is supposed to be even narrower than the Dynafit. Worried about how long the Maestrales will hold up - looking at TGR there appears to be a number of build quality issues.
snow report
DB, the RSs have a really nice liner which will most likely accommodate fit issues, they still have a bit of the scarpa instep thing going ie it's a little high. I think they have fixed the rivet issue, but the boots although nice a stiff on the down do seem lightly built, which I guess is inevitable given their weight. They do ski very well.
snow report
DB, I doubt there are many people that have skied both about to tell you their thoughts. Do you climb ice/mixed terrain in your ski boots a lot? Do you want the boot to work in non-tech bindings? Those to me are the defining questions that separate the TLT6 from the One, Mercury and Vulcan.

From the construction specs the Mercury looks like it would be stiffer. How important that is will be very subjective.
snow conditions
meh wrote:
DB, I doubt there are many people that have skied both about to tell you their thoughts. Do you climb ice/mixed terrain in your ski boots a lot?

No

meh wrote:
Do you want the boot to work in non-tech bindings? Those to me are the defining questions that separate the TLT6 from the One, Mercury and Vulcan.

Doesn't have to although it would be an advantage when skiing places like St Anton and hiring/testing freeride skis. Having said that I will probably keep the Titans for such trips or buy a freeride boot later down the line.

meh wrote:
From the construction specs the Mercury looks like it would be stiffer. How important that is will be very subjective.

The Titans are great for blasting through difficult snow and perform reasonable on piste (for a touring boot). There isn't a lot of feeling in powder with the Titans and the walk mode with the intution powerwrap liner is probably a long way from the TLT6 / Mercury / Maestrale.

TLT6 Pros
======
walk mode
light weight
lateral stiffness
Easy switch from ski to walk mode
Switchable tongues

TLT6 Cons
======
No micro adjustment on top buckles

TLT6 concerns
==========
Are they stiff enough or should I go for the Mercury?
Do they fit in all touring bindings (e.g. Marker F10/F12's or only tech-fittings)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 18-10-13 8:12; edited 3 times in total
snow report
jbob wrote:
DB, the RSs have a really nice liner which will most likely accommodate fit issues, they still have a bit of the scarpa instep thing going ie it's a little high. I think they have fixed the rivet issue, but the boots although nice a stiff on the down do seem lightly built, which I guess is inevitable given their weight. They do ski very well.

The rivets (appears to be sorted now) Water ingress and the shell flipping forward going past it's stop are all concerns. As I understand it - the RS has an intuition liner. I know from the experience of ditching my stock dynafit titan liners for intutions that this can really help. Maybe the answer is a TLT6 or Mercury with intuition liner.
snow conditions
I had a nightmare with the stock titan liners as they had a seam that ran up the back and rubbed my archilles raw.. In the end stuck in some old Zipfits and they are great now..

DB good to hear the rivet thing is fixed , they were very poor and on wildsnow and tgr seemed to have caused problems for lots of people.
ski holidays
A Mercury v Maestrale RS Review

http://www.earlyups.com/featured/at-boot-showdown-dynafit-mercury-vs-scarpa-maestrale-rs/
latest report
Just an update that might help others.

My current boots are Dynafit Titans, Mondo size = 26

I have tried on the following ski touring boots.

1. Scarpa Maestrale 26.5 (they didn't have an a Maestrale RS in my size)
2. Scarpa Gea 26 (womens model, tried it on to see how it fitted length wise)
3. Dynafit TLT6 Mountain CR 26 & 26.5
4. Dynafit Vulcan CR 26

Would have liked to have tried on the Mercury on but they only had a 27 in stock although they said it fitted the same as the Vulcan.

Comments/Observations
=================
Scarpa =Although on paper the Maestrale's have a narrower last (101mm v 103mm), the Dynafit lasts best suited my low volume feet.

The TLT's fitted slightly better than the Vulcan's. I could flex the TLT's, the Vulcans were stiff as hell and a real effort to flex (I'm around 72 kg). The Vulcan is a great boot for heavier freeski/sidecountry tourers.

In the end I'll probab,y go for the TLT6 Performance CL in a 26 (@ €700 Euro Shocked ) - the shop has ordered a pair for me to try on in the next couple of weeks. If I didn't already have the Titans (with powerwrap intution liners and a booster strap) I'd have probably gone for the Mercurys. Will use the TLT's and Titans as a two boot solution.

Here's what swung it for me was -

TLT6 Performance -

Pros's
======
a)The weight - just over 1kg per foot, that's almost half what the Titans weigh.

b)The flex - great lateral stiffness (esp for the weight) but a forward flex that isn't just on/off or super stiiff. Variable flex with interchangeable tongues too - softer flex should be better for powder days

c)The walk mode - I could run in these boots.

d) Two forward lean positions - can't be adjusted on the fly but prefer that as I have had feet in didfferent forward lean positions or both in walk mode. The dynafit sytem prevents this from happening.

Con's
======
(i) Ruddy expensive

(ii) Not a one boot solution - dynafit only (as far as I am aware)

(iii) May not be stiff enough.

(iv) Boot sole length is 15mm shorter than current touring boots - binding remount (not required for mercury & Vulcan).

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 22-10-13 9:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Sling the Titans, go Mercury.
snow report
Obviously K2 never even peeped at the Tecnica Cochise when they designed the Pinnacle wink , has anyone tried both?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, Was the weight difference only reason not to go for the cheaper Mountains?
latest report
Mosha Marc, Yep,
snow report
Buddy1664 wrote:
DB, Was the weight difference only reason not to go for the cheaper Mountains?

I haven't made the final decision but am 90% there. Will probably try the TLT6 Performance and Mountain side by side. I hope the TLT6 Performance is laterally stiffer as well as being circa 200gram per foot lighter - if there isn't much i it I'll probably go for the mountains.

I'll use the Titans for the bit of piste skiing that I do and for offpiste/freeride trips to places like St Anton. (short booting up rather than skining). Most of my skiing is long day tours or multiday tours in soft offpiste conditions. (I live in Austria and chase the snow)

If the TLT6 Performance proves stiff enough for all my skiing I'll most likely get quiver killers installed on various skis. If not I'll probably replace the Titans with a side country boot. (e.g. Lange XT 130)
snow conditions
CH2O wrote:
Mosha Marc, Yep,

You're as bad as me!

I bet you preferred the K2.
snow report
Mosha Marc, Like them both, the Cochise much lighter, stiff, lots of resistance, The K2 a great modern ski boot, with all the bells and whistles, stunning rebound.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy