Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski boots and "athletic" calves

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys I wonder if you can help.

I bought a pair of ski boots about 4 years ago they were head dream 8.5
http://www.craigdonmountainsports.com/head-dream8-5-one-w-ski-boots
I have very atheletic (or chunky) calves. The first couple years I wore them I had no problems. However, I have since put on about 3 stone and my holiday in January this year was ruined with pain in my feet and legs.

I also suffer from burning feet syndrome (which also gets worse the more weight I put on). I can't really explain what went wrong this year. I even went through 4 different sets of hire boots as well as my own trying to find something that didnt result in me skiing 10 yards, my feet going numb, me throwing myself on the floor to release the boots and ease the pain. It was nothing I had experienced before. The only thing that was different was that a) i was 3 stone heavier and b) I was extremly unfit this year.

I tried boots from those with loads of room in the front part of the foot section, to those that were quite neat. Nothing seemed to matter or ease the pain.

I am putting this mainly down to my weight gain (as having used myown boots and been on 4 previous ski holidays without any problems, that was the only thing that had changed).

I tried my boots on last night. My foot is very "snug" in the boot, then when I fasten the boots up, after about 5 minutes I can feel the pulse in my calf and feel my whole calf pulsing to my heartbeat (although the boots dont feel that tight on my calf and didnt take much effort to clasp shut). When I release the boot, the sensation is as if I can feel the blood pumping round again. They also usually get pins and needles in them (but I am used to this sensation because of my burning feet).

Also when I put one boot on, my calf above the boot looked much bigger than the one without - is this normal? I could problaby try taking a pic if it would help?

I am trying to diet for my next holiday and I am going to the gym a few times a week to make sure that even if I am still fat come my next holiday, I will at least be fit.

I dunno what to do about my boots. I am thinking that maybe they just arent the boots for me and that they are just wrong fitting, but after going through so many pairs on holiday, I dont think any boots will do - I even looked into snowboarding and went to the dry slopes. I put the snowboard boots on and they fit like a glove and felt like slippers. I stood and watched my kids lesson but after about an hour of standing watching them, I noticed my feet getting pins and needles in them again.

Can anyone offer advise or words of wisdom?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
polo99, it does rather sounds as though losing the weight would make the difference, if you were comfy in your boots in the past.

Have you read the thread on the 5:2 diet, in the apres section? http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93164

It's too much to read it all - but the first half hour or so will give you a flavour. some people who have struggled with losing weight before have been doing very well on it, and have kept it up for a long time, too.

It's only the beginning of October. You're doing the right thing going to the gym, and if you can keep that up and be more active generally, plus get really stuck into the 5:2 diet you could lose a lot of that weight before you go skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But also - a bootfitter can help with the fitting of your boots round your calves. Best wait until you know whether you can lose the weight though, or they might get too loose!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey Pam! yes i think losing weight is going to be key its just so frustrating that my once lovely comfy boots filled me with so much pain on this holiday. I have done a version of the 5;2 diet before and it is a really good diet. The one I follow is every other day - 500 cals one day then about 2000 the next. That is how I lost my weight in the past, Im just trying to get into it. I did a juicing diet for 30 days recently and lost about a stone but that is quite drastic and it totally knackered my metabolism for a while lol. I am kicking myself for allowing myself to put all this weight back on again, but hey ho, c'est lavie
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The one I follow is every other day - 500 cals one day then about 2000 the next

I think you might find 5:2 a lot more sustainable. Have a look at that thread - there's a lot to wade through, but if you have a quick look there are some very interesting posts from people who didn't expect to be able to keep it up, but have found it much easier than they'd feared. The secret is that on the 5 non-fast days there are no limits to what you eat. And there is no prescribed stuff you have to eat. One dieter reports having eaten nothing but a bacon and egg bap on a recent fasting day, though obviously that wouldn't be healthy if done too often. Laughing

If you post on that thread about your problem with boots, and wanting to lose the weight, I think you'll get a lot of good advice and encouragement.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
polo99, I wear Head boots and I know all about large calves (believe me - a search on SH will show that I have often mentioned it). I would suggest a visit back to your boot fitter. Buckles can be shifted, and it is even possible for a bootfitter to put little lifters under your heels (something that made such a huge difference for me that I wouldn't have said it was possible for such an apparently small change). I've recently gone from a set of Head Edge 7.5's to a set of Head Vector 90's and these are slightly narrower at the back of the calf - when very new (and before I got wise) this cause me a huge amount of aggro one day when I did then up too tightly, so until you get them adjusted I would also advise on not overtightening them. Having tried on loads of different models I would be of the opinion that you have some of the widest calf boots around, so I reckon a trip to a bootfitter would pay dividends as there are quite a number of things that can still be tried IME.

P.S. pam w, You are not going to let me forget that bacon and egg bap are you? Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, Ill pop over to the thread. Although I say 2000 calories on an "up" day, according to the manual I could eat whatever I wanted, but I chose not to. My friend does the 5:2 so I know its the same, but its good to get support from like minded people. When i lost the weight the first time, I joined a weight loss forum and documented everything I ate every day which I found really helpful. i just really need to motivate myself.

Megamum, I know I have my boots on the very last slide bar and I know I have heel inserts already in as they were put in before moulding. I think my only other option would be a mans boot? Good to know I'm not the only one! I also have an "athletic" ass, legs, stomach, thighs................... lol I know I dont do the boots up too tightly and if anything, on this last holiday, I was problaby skiing with the hire ones far too slack. to the point i could actually curly my toes up inside (so that my big to was on the sole of the boot) and I could move my whole foot inside and was still in excrutiating pain.

So from what Pam has said, I assume you are on the 5:2? I bet you really did enjoy that bacon and egg bap! haha

I am just really praying that its my weight and level of fitness and not (as my husband suggested) because I am getting older! - Im 41! yes he is still living to tell the tale............just Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As it is lunchtime and I'm bored, I'm going to speculate that you have a tight achilles and that is pulling on the tendons that run the length of the foot. I'd see a bootfitter before going away again - preferably reasonably soon as they may suggest a stretching regime. If it is the achilles then the answer could well be as easy as a heel lift and some stretching.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I think my only other option would be a mans boot?

Men's calves are generally narrower at the top of boot point, so that's not likely to be the answer. Stretching is certainly well worth doing anyway.

Whenever you lack motivation for your diet, just put your ski boots on for half an hour.

It's absolutely nothing to do with age. Give him a good kicking (during the aforementioned half hour).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
polo99 wrote:
Hey Pam! yes i think losing weight is going to be key its just so frustrating that my once lovely comfy boots filled me with so much pain on this holiday. I have done a version of the 5;2 diet before and it is a really good diet. The one I follow is every other day - 500 cals one day then about 2000 the next. That is how I lost my weight in the past, Im just trying to get into it. I did a juicing diet for 30 days recently and lost about a stone but that is quite drastic and it totally knackered my metabolism for a while lol. I am kicking myself for allowing myself to put all this weight back on again, but hey ho, c'est lavie

have you watched the documentary "fat, sick & nearly dead" (not saying your any of these btw lol)

its based around a couple of dudes who juice, its fascinating! On netflix if you have it Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
polo99, You need foot beds made for your boots, sounds like your arch might have fallen a bit and possibly because of the gained weight - but it might just be old age. Shocked (I can say this because I am older than you....) - what I mean is, wear/use/time...
Go find a boot fitter and either get the old boots refitted or get new ones. Don't get a man's boot, unless you would wear a man's shoe routinely, they are simply not the right shape for a female foot. Some ski boots are cut lower at the back so they don't catch on lower calves (Don't know how tall you are, but short legged people's calves are lower...)
Good luck with the diet, but you have to up the activity level as well...as we get older it's all too easy to gain weight as our metabolism changes - eat less and do more. I've been trying to shift a few lb I put on in the summer...cutting out alcohol works for me, tried the 5:2 but I couldn't hack the starving days, I just was too horrible.
Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
polo99, imho its lose the weight. You've loved the boots in the past and as you say thats the only thing thats changed. As others have said, yes you may need to stretch, however the good news is that there is no downside to losing the weight is there?

I'm always telling people that losing weight is really simple, the pain is that its not easy. What's simple is you need to put less in your mouth than you burn off each day.

I encourage people not to think in terms of diet, but in terms of healthy eating lifestyles. Diets lead to the yoyo weight syndrome.

You might find this video helps you-
http://youtube.com/v/aUaInS6HIGo and this one
http://youtube.com/v/qX9FSZJu448

Good luck
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
polo99, Yup, I'm a 5:2er. It sounds like you have tried most things. Your symptoms sound exactly like mine when I over tightened my new boots and the slightly narrower gullet down the back of the boot compressed my calf - such pain through the soles of my feet I'd never experienced before. I wouldn't be at all suprised if that wasn't the root of the pain. I don't know if a boot fitter an adjust the gullet of a boot, but I have heard people refer to literally having buckles shifted - i.e. taken out, the boot shell drilled and then replacing, so maybe that might still be an option.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gorilla wrote:
As it is lunchtime and I'm bored, I'm going to speculate that you have a tight achilles and that is pulling on the tendons that run the length of the foot. I'd see a bootfitter before going away again - preferably reasonably soon as they may suggest a stretching regime. If it is the achilles then the answer could well be as easy as a heel lift and some stretching.

+1.

Polo99, Yes loosing weight is gonna help but if you're looking to loose 3st then realistically you're not going to loose a huge amount before you next ski so in the meantime see a good fitter.

My personal experience is nigh on identical as yours as my weight just snuck up over a few years & then a couple of years ago I got the exact same issues boot as you. After seeing a number podriatrists (sp?) who even identified a few very small Morten Neuromas in my feet & various footbeds (none of which made any significant improvement) I went to see CEM who stretched the rear cuffs back but also identified mega tight achilles/calfs etc & therefore severe lack of range of ankle flex - something that I'd never previously had a problem with. He also sold me a Prostretch gadget (which is brilliant & far better than just hanging your heels off a step) which I used daily for a couple of months before I skied & it cured all the problems - well, apart from my excess weight.

And the 5:2 really works. At my weigh in today I've lost over 43lbs over 53 weeks & it's not been difficult at all. CEM's fitting me for new boots in a few weeks but I've just put my old ones on after reading your post & there's no a significant gap at the back of my calf.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hehe pam you had me cracking up.

Yes I seen the fat sick and nearly dead hence the 30 day juice fast lol
Congrats on the weight loss how was it so easy? Yes I have considered cem and I don't think its that far from me either.
snow conditions
Sorry was on my phone earlier and it was hard to reply.

Wow I just watched the video about the guy who did yoga and omg that is very inspirational. I dont know how he had the strength to go on and why he didn't give up.
snow report
hmmmm why did I think CEM was up North? I thought it was Carlisle somewhere. Didnt realise it was Oxford. Can't really go all that way
snow conditions
I don't know where you are but have u tried profeet in London I have always had problems with my feet and I found that after id visited profeet and had new boots after 3 days they were so much better than anything I had used before. They're pricey however the chap who did my fitting was very good and spent a lot of time examining my feet as my arches are low too, hope this helps http://www.profeet.co.uk/
snow conditions
Mpolo99, my wife had problems with getting a boot to fit her calves, she was in terrible pain, tried many boot sizes and shapes, then I took her to cem, solutions 4 feet, in bicester and her boots are bliss for her. She struggles to loose weight, eating like a rabbit but was relieved to be able to ski a whole day without pain.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The one I follow is every other day - 500 cals one day then about 2000 the next

I think you might find 5:2 a lot more sustainable. Have a look at that thread - there's a lot to wade through, but if you have a quick look there are some very interesting posts from people who didn't expect to be able to keep it up, but have found it much easier than they'd feared. The secret is that on the 5 non-fast days there are no limits to what you eat. And there is no prescribed stuff you have to eat. One dieter reports having eaten nothing but a bacon and egg bap on a recent fasting day, though obviously that wouldn't be healthy if done too often. Laughing

If you post on that thread about your problem with boots, and wanting to lose the weight, I think you'll get a lot of good advice and encouragement.

I've dropped from 17 stone to 11 stone over the past 15 months and it had a surprising noticable effect on the fit of my boots last season by which time at I had probably lost 80% or so if it. Fortunately the local wildlife had also damaged them so didn't have to weigh up the options of struggling with them tightened as much as possible vs buying new boots.

Being a middle aged old fart the weight doesn't come of that easily and I didn't go for any faddish diets or fasting regimes but instead changed my eating habits to avoid all the fatty crap that we generally eat all to readiliy on a day to basis and also now do 60-90 minutes cardio and 30 minutes of weights virtually every day. Had the added advantage that it this years 2 weeks on the slopes I didn't have any leg aches at all and kept up a fast pace all day without a trace of a wimper Smile. Downside was virtually cutting out the alcohol (except during the ski trips) Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy