Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which GoPro and accessories?

Poster: A snowHead
and with gimbals on the mind..... recently funded on Kickstarter...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48127572/easygimbal-an-advanced-gopro-3-camera-stabilizer
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow.. very impressive!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
isnt it, can see Graham Bell using one on Ski Sunday, but it may make his run look a little more pedestrian.. (even though the final footage you see is cut from more than one run). Not taking away anything from him doing a WC downhill conditioned course at pace.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hmm, just doing some reading on the + focus issues, some of the demo videos/pics really are quite disappointing.....

I wonder if they will/can 'fix' the new models?

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Neither of those look like GoPro 3 quality, I assume they are blown up?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
there is a lot of noise but no answer from gopro, people are shouting about all sorts of things but no official word from gopro as of yet. I have all my hd3 blacks back and will run a side by side comparison tomorrow and report back as soon as possible.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
George 3G, yes they are crops

Video perhaps shows it better, actually not sure a standard user would notice any difference, it's only when folk are zooming in by 400% that it becomes noticeable...

You need to watch this in 1080p.....

http://youtube.com/v/ayYmVeZnknI#t=66
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
and equally there are people saying the 3+ is better, there are also (easy to find on google) people saying the official video was made using 3 and not 3+ and showing evidence (blown up photos and the like).

I have my hd3B cameras back now and will conduct my own side by side tests.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i thought the gopro was aimed at the POV action camera category which to me means action that would be close to the camera not in the distance - so clarity on the nearer subject would be more important than background.

i dont know about the techie side of it but the 2 photos shown with the boats are clearly taken at different times (look at the clouds) and therefore have different light conditions and therefore must have some effect on the resulting picture.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A thing to mention about the still image side of things, the compression factor on the hd3b is set to a quality level of 98, on the plus it's only 93. File sizes on the plus are a lot smaller the the standard black, I fully expect that to change in the next firmware release.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ansta1, looking forward to your comparisons!! Are you taking both the 3 and the 3+ to Tignes? Perhaps we could do some comparisons there of skiing and I can decide which one to go for???
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, Yep I will take at least one of the HD1,HD2, HD3B and HD3B+ plus a few other bits potentially. I am there from the 7th to the 10th session.

Probably not going to get the comparisons done today as it's pishing down and that won't make for the best comparison, it is due to brighten up a little later, if I do get the chance I'll get them on drop box tonight (though it may be a lot later as its a birthday for someone in our house, not Mrs A, Junior A or Junior2 A Very Happy )
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
update - Sun is out, looks like I may get a short comparison clip recorded, you have been warned it will be boring and there will be no snow, no helmets, no mucky stuff but the car does have winter tyres on... Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
latest word is that gopro are looking into an issue with some units, that is from gopro support, so whilst it may be from them it doesn't constitute an official response as such.

2 short clips made yesterday afternoon, I made a boo boo and one unit is 25fps, the other was 50fps. These are straight out of the cameras and haven't had any processing done on them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b9a3oi81qtto861/A07lVmGx3l
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Ansta1,

Which file is taken by which camera??

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
Can you not tell?
snow report
I'd say 0229 is much better quality.....
snow conditions
The answer is posted somewhere else you asked. But for clarity to those who don't know where that is. Left side is the plus right side is the black.
ski holidays
Yep 229 is the old black, 2 is the black plus.
latest report
interesting then...did you also think older black has better quality then??
snow conditions
I did, the only caveat is one is at 25fps (plus) and the old black was at 50fps, but that wouldn't in my view have caused the differences. As you've joined me and a couple of other snowHead in the other world you will see that what folks are now waiting for is the official answer. It also seems that some people with earlier production models (mine are badged as a September build, but some have August builds) are saying their footage is sharp across the range.

In reality would you notice the difference on the side of a mountain if you are just recoding skiing, I'd guess not, the copter guys will because generally they are shooting at a distance and also moving slowly across complex scenes.

I am guessing that Gopro will issue a formal recall, or at least a statement in the next couple of days.
snow conditions
ansta1, I think I would notice a difference, based on your car footage....will wait and see now!! The first time I saw skiing footage from my mates Black I was amazed at the quality compared to my Contour.

As long as I have something I can use for a trip to Australia mid Dec I'll be happy, so I have some time for a recall/statement to take affect Smile
snow conditions
kitenski, As mentioned before, there will be a black and black plus (as well as HD1 and HD2's) to play with on the IOS trip to tignes in Nov. I suspect it won't be fully resolved by then, so we will see how the two actually compare in a 'skiing' environment.
ski holidays
yeh cheers, that'll be my evenings sorted then, best bring my laptop Smile

Do you hire these things out (seem to remember someone did on the forums!)
snow report
Yep 229 is the old black, 2 is the black plus.
ski holidays
well it seems I was wrong, having been correctly challenged, file number 002 is the HD3B and filenumber 229 is the HD3B - Plus...

going to rerun the test and reload.
ski holidays
I hope you'd have rerun the test if it had verified your initial assumption. NehNeh
ski holidays
Test has been rerun and data uploading to the same folder as used previously.

Left hand view is plus, right hand view is old black.

Haven't reviewed the footage other than to confirm which file is from which model.

001 is old black
230 is new black plus
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
files uploaded...

001 is old black
230 is Black plus
snow report
I wrapped duct tape round my pole to pad it out to the seat post size. Seems to work ok and only takes a minute to do.
latest report
ansta1 wrote:
files uploaded...

001 is old black
230 is Black plus

Link has been disabled Andy, too much traffic lol
snow conditions
Latest I can read is that some folk have improved the long distance sharpness of their Black+ massively by readjusting the focal length of their camera. I'm pretty sure they are invalidating their warranty by manually breaking the glue and twisting the lens!!

GoPro support seem to be slowly acknowledging the issue....extract from a support email below:

Quote:
you are experiencing loss of clarity or focus at a distance, this is not an expected outcome. It's possible that there may have been a potential issue with the production of your particular camera if you're seeing a loss of focus. While we have heard reports of this from some customers it is definitely not something that affects a majority of our cameras
ski holidays
kitenski, as you know, but for the benefit of others there are really 2 reported issues.

1. loss of sharpness at distance
2. Out of focus across a single plane.

for which

1. May be intentional (but the slow message out of gopro hq seems to go against that position) but also may be a manufacturing issue, still no official word from gopro, and may even not be forthcoming at all
2. Definitely a manufacturing issue

As you say people are cracking their cameras open and adjusting the lens with some pretty good results, despite what the folks are saying around documented support cases etc etc, I reckon they will possibly struggle if gopro do come back and say it's a fault to get their camera replaced under warranty.

I still have to do a side by side still image test to look at that aspect but there are plenty of people who are reporting 'no issue' or just plain 'I am happy'. These maybe people who geuinely have no issue, people who have had other cameras where the quality isn't as good so the gopro looks fine or they just like the way it captures the closer areas better. Who really knows.

My cameras are un fettered and will remain so for at least until after the IOS trip to tignes in 15 (yes just 15 ) days. Unless I review the still images and they are really bad beforehand but I certainly wont be taking a screwdriver and a pair of pipe grips to the camera at this stage, and I do mod them I will be doing so at my own risk and won't then be shouting foul if gopro do issue a recall and they tell me "no as you have modified the camera."
snow report
Do you know what mounts your bringing to Tignes?? ansta1,
latest report
what mounts do you want me to bring?
snow report
ansta1, wrist, helmet, chest??

If/when I Get one I'd use it for skiing, biking, scuba/snorkelling on the Great Barrier reef and with family trips to theme parks etc so I reckon those 3 mounts would cover all use scenarios wouldn't they??
snow conditions
wrist - yep (but I don't have any hero 3 or 3+) wrist housings, so it's 2 or 1 only for that one.
Helmet (both vented and elasticated) - yep
chest - yep
adhesive - yep
pole - yep

and maybe a couple of others if I have space (weight).
ski holidays
What does everyone use for editing footage? I have a relatively old version of iMovie and am wondering whether it's worth updating it or getting some better editing softeware.
ski holidays
cineform or mpeg clip for converting to a less compressed format if required.
Video studio for the NLE and final render phase, though cineform now has more editing functionality built in.

But I don't do very many huge or complicated edits.

for reference I am a Windoze user rather than apple products.
snow conditions
ansta1, I've got a 3Black. If I wanted to get one of the new housings that come with the 3+Black are they available for sale? The new housings look small than the previous version, so would be good to reduce the size of the package a little bit further.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy