Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which GoPro and accessories?

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, yes, but availability is a bit scarce at the moment.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ansta1 wrote:
rob@rar, yes, but availability is a bit scarce at the moment.
Thanks. No rush, so will pick one up at some point. Do you know if they will be bringing out a wrist-mount with the smaller housing?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is already a hero3 wrist mount, I don't think there is a hero3+ one yet and I don't know if they intend to bring one out but I don't see why they wouldn't (not that I am a big fan of the wrist mount as a general rule, though it does have its uses.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ansta1, ta. I had the wrist mount for the HD2 and found it useful for swimming pools, water parks and roller coasters. Not much use outside of those settings though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ahh Rob, if only I'd known, we did have a spare Hero 3+ housing from a customer who wanted a Hero 3 housing instead. Sadly, I've just posted it to a customer today Sad

GoPro are releasing it in the UK on the 30/10/13, so should be available to buy shortly after that at £49.99.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hobby Mounts, thanks.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anybody know what mount they are using in this video? Appears to be a yellow pole that they are holding, but wondering if it has any dampening or anything like that??

Can see it about 4:55 to 5:04 in, but flashes of it many times before that!!

http://gopro.com/videos/video-of-the-day/2013/10/23/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
probably something similar to this http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk/shop/GoPro-Handgrips-and-Poles/UKPro-8-Pole-Hand-Grip-Orange

plenty of other stuff thats similar out there, I just cut an old ski pole down and araldited a short extension arm into the end.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
George 3G, ansta1, Can you not use the handlebar mount for attaching to ski pole? Heard putting a bit of gaffa tape underneath works a treat to stop vibration as well!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CharLisht wrote:
George 3G, ansta1, Can you not use the handlebar mount for attaching to ski pole? Heard putting a bit of gaffa tape underneath works a treat to stop vibration as well!

Yep, it's what most people do, but that has a specific set of viewpoints and uses as do the other options.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A couple of pages back somebody suggested using the wrap-around part of the GoPro headstrap around the top of a ski boot and included a YouTube video. I took this a little bit further and made a very steady mount. The power strap on my Salomon boots is exactly the same width as the elastic webbing used on the head mount, so I completely disassembled the plastic from the elastic and threaded the mount through the "under" part of the power strap with the "over" velcro part securing it further in place. It makes for an elegant solution with the camera mounted inverted on the boot. Due to the camera being mounted at this height you don't get as huge an amount of snow splash onto the lens as you would if you had the camera attached to the ski itself

I took the video below back in February with the GoPro mounted on my son's helmet, my ski using the standard 3M mounts and also attached to my boot (@ 39secs)

youtube.com/v/vNA8b0V3Whs
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi, sorry if this has already been mentioned but I cant see it, can I get a replacement battery for the black version but get one of the new batteries from the plus range so it last longer? or is it that the new cameras just dont drain the battery as much?

Also what memory cards do people use in them and what format do you use? I was reading that some cards are faster than others and are formatted to a different file structure and this makes them perform better?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
medlington, probably just a higher maH on the plus battery, so most likely fine.
As for memory cards, make sure you've got a good Class-10 card from a reputable make, and buy it from a reputable source as there are fakes out there, so beware of anything thats too cheap to be true (class 10 cards which fail testing are sold off cheap as lower class memory, bought up cheap and rebadged back to full class-10 only to crap out after a short while). Always format the card in the device you are using it with if possible.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks,

Id just found the recommended list:

SanDisk Extreme 32GB microSDHC (SDSDQX-032G)
SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC (SDSDQX-064G)
Lexar 32GB SDHC 600x (LSDMI32GBSBNA600R)
Lexar 64GB SDXC 300x (LSDMI64GBBNL300R)
Delkin 32GB SDHC (DDMICROSDPRO2-32GB)
Delkin 64GB SDXC (DDMICROSDPRO264GB)
Samsung 64GB SDXC (MB-MGCGB/AM)

didnt realise they were so pricey but guess theres no point getting a decent camera then scrimping on the card if it means it wont perform, just going to have to ask Santa really nicely.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hobby mounts have the new highed rated batteries and give SH's a discount, this will give you slightly more life than the standard black batteries, but the improvements in the hardware on the Plus are the reason for the longer battery life.

If you want a memory card then at the moment there are only 2 really to go with.

Either the Delkin or the Lexar class 10's. The Sandisk is now back on the approved list but the current firmware still limits the bit rate with a Sandisk card to 35mbit/s as opposed to the 45 or so with the other cards. As Richard_Sideways says don't be tempted with ebay or other deals get them from a reputable supplier. I know someone who has offered me bulk memory cards with the option for me to have whatever class and speed rating printed on the front!!!
snow conditions
Thanks again, how do i get the SH discount?

Also the maH rating, is that just the amount of power stored? so the higher number the longer it will last but theoretically I can put any maH battery in and it should be fine?

Ive seen some that say they are 1600maH but the battery that comes with it is only 1050 maH I think. Does the same apply to the batteries as with the cards? i.e. stay away from ebay or do you not get as many issues with batteries?
snow conditions
I purchased a Wasabi charger and 2 extra batteries and they are both 1200 mah and the original that came with my 3+is 1180mah
latest report
PM hobby mounts and he will give you a code. Don't be fooled by some sellers mah rating, by genuine gopro or wasabi from a good seller to be sure you are getting what they say on the wrapper.

I have the wasabi charger and a good few of their batteries, all are good. I also have a few of the original hd3 and hd3+ batteries. The 3+ is significantly better on the battery and much faster over wifi than the standard black.
snow conditions
Despite what the wasabi mah rating is, you'll probably find that they don't last quite as long as the gopro battery. Don't get me wrong they are good value, I have two also - but they don't last quite as long as the gopro official ones.
ski holidays
Thanks Andy.

We're still waiting on the stock of the new higher capacity Hero 3+ batteries unfortunately, release date now 18th December but available for pre-order.

Anyone who wants the Snow Heads discount code, either PM me here or email info@hobbymounts.co.uk

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
just found these mounts: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Curved-Adhesive-Sticky-Mount-Camera/dp/B00DKSVT54/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1386594235&sr=8-15&keywords=gopro+camera+accessories&tag=amz07b-21

Are they all you need to mount to skis? just stick one on and the camera fits into it or do I need an extra bit that fits into the mount and holds the camera?
snow conditions
They are copies (I assume) of the standard gopro adhesive mounts.

http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk/shop/GoPro-Self-Adhesive-Flat-Mounts-Pack-AAFLT-001

As long as you have a quick release plate that attaches to the camera then yes, buy, stick to ski, wait for 24 hours in a warm dry environment and Uncle bob is your best friends aunt.
snow conditions
For cost and battery life try a discounted black3 and a plug-in large battery pack as per gopro website. Currently offered with the larger case required to fit it.
This is the set-up I will be using to do vintage car trials - I can set it up in the morning and simply leave it running all day, hopefully about 8 hours worth, with the aim being to show each hill in real time and the inter-hills bits highly sped up.
snow conditions
A bit off topic, but what resolution settings do you guys use for skiing? I've been using r5 and getting frustrated as I don't seem able to get much of my skis in shot unless the camera is pointing too far down to get the horizon in, should 23 (or r4) better? Using the 1st gen HD Hero btw (though thinking about upgrading as low light performance is poor whilst everything is waaaay over-exposed on sunny days with mine).
snow report
clarky999, I dont think the resolution is the issue (not got a gopro yet but do lots of video editing work)

If you increase the resolution you will just have more clarity in the picture as it will be made up fro more dots/pixels BUT it will not capture any more image as that is your field of view which will be defined by what the sensor/lense can see. You mat get more in if you change your aspect ratio as it maybe cropping the field of view currently.

ansta1, This is what it says is coming with my camera:
GoPro HERO3 Camera Black Edition
197’/ 60m Waterproof Housing
Wi-Fi Remote + Key Ring
Remote Charging Cable
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
QR Buckle
J-Hook Buckle
3-Way Pivot
1 Curved Adhesive Mount
1 Flat Adhesive Mount
Assorted Mounts and Hardware
USB Charging Cable

Is the QR Buckle the quick release plate you mention?
snow conditions
Yep the QR and the J buckle both slip into the plate. The J buckle is to give greater clearance for the camera in various mounting positions.
snow report
Thanks, thats 1 less thing to buy then.
latest report
Quote:

If you increase the resolution you will just have more clarity in the picture as it will be made up fro more dots/pixels BUT it will not capture any more image as that is your field of view which will be defined by what the sensor/lense can see. You mat get more in if you change your aspect ratio as it maybe cropping the field of view currently.

Not in the case of certain models of the gopro, the different setting wide, medium, narrow crop the sensor so you get less field of view dependent on the setting. R5 is 120 degree field of view, R3 however is 170 degree field of view, but this will have little effect on the area captured at the top and bottom (it will have some purely because you will be utilising more of the fisheye effect of the gopro lens).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hobby Mounts, just placed an order for a memory card but thought youd like to know that when you subscribe to your newsletter the link back to your website doesnt work, think its hosted on mailchimp
ski holidays
Bought a hero 3+ black and thinking that a chest mount might be better than the tellytubby look. I have some questions however and would appreciate comment from those with experience in using a chest mount.

1) does a chest mount work when also wearing a backpack ?
2) backpack is a mammut/snowpulse abs jobby, with a chest mount might the camera get in the way if I need to pull the abs trigger ?
3) having a quick google for chest mounts it looks like there is the official gopro model or copies that look the same but are about a third of the price. Is there really much difference between them ?
snow report
1. Will depend on the backpack you wear
2. Without trying both at the same time it's difficult to say, but probably.
3. As with all things you pays your money you takes your chance, I only have the genuine ones so can't comment on the others, but there probably isn't a lot in it.

Remember hobbymounts give snowheads a discount.
ski holidays
ansta1, guess I'll just have to try it and see how a chest mount works with my backpack. From the pictures I've seen the camera seems to sit quite flush to the body so hopefully it shouldn't really get in the way if reaching for the abs trigger (and the trigger kind of sits out front from the shoulder strap).

What sort of discount does hobbymounts give?
snow conditions
I found chest mounts can be quite shakey but that just might be me
latest report
Evil or Very Mad so its now thursday and i fly on saturday and not enough time for gopro to help... just clipped my go pro into the helmet mount and the wing on the quick release mount has snapped. got to go out and buy a full grab bag of mounts.. Mad
ski holidays
what do you need, I can probably get something in the post to you this afternoon if Your quick with the wish list.
snow report
ansta1, Thanks for the offer, its really appreciated, but i will probably go out and buy a bag..would hate to rely on post and it doesnt arrive tomorrow and i get to the airport and they are sold out..sh*t happens but its frustrating when it happens at the last minute.
latest report
No problem, the offer stands if you can't find anything, If I can get it to the post office by about 3pm it can go next day guaranteed, I currently have 2 Black+ cameras and a whole load of mounts and other bits sitting in the car as we speak.
snow report
MogulMonkey, in addition to your grab-bag, pick up duct tape and cable-ties. Nowt that can't be fixed in place with those.

Oh and a shameless self promotion - got a 32Gb memory card for sale in anyones interested...
snow conditions
I appreciate that this is a GoPro thread, but I wondered if anyone had also considered some of the alternative headcams? I used to have a Contour Plus HD but it was stolen and so I was going to replace it. Have any of you tried other types like the Contour, but still opted for the GoPro?

I found that in practice, although the Countour doesn't have a screen, this wasn't an issue: In active use, the big slider coupled with the audible confirmation meant that it was easy to switch on/off with a gloved hand. And I could detach it and carry it in my hand if I wanted to do panning shots while skiing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8_d-LgkoDmA#t=91

The cylinder cams are also less intrusive on a helmet than the GoPro. However, the GoPro is clearly popular and image quality seems very good. What are your thoughts?

Bear in mind that I have a Canon DSLR and handycam carrier for serious HD video, so the headcam is more for day-to-day use.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 9-01-14 13:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
msej449, I had a contour which got wet when their official waterproof case wasn't!! Compared to gopro the contour quality was nowhere near as good and given that the company appears to have gone under wouldn't lead me to buying another contour camera....

edit it appears the company has been purchased, so worth keeping an eye on them.....gopro still miles ahead on quality of video and stills IMHO

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 9-01-14 13:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy