Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring between towns

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anybody had a good experience ski-touring between towns? E.g. Wake up first day in town A, ski to town B and stay there, then ski to town C and stay there.. then ski back to town A.

Any European options considered. Guided off-piste could be an option, but I guess staying on-piste would be simpler. Occasional short bus/taxi tolerated if it unlocks an amazing route.

60-70km/day piste skiing will be ideal. Or a bit more to keep us on our toes Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stubai Freeride Centre are currently on a Stubai - Arlberg tour - using lifts with minimal hiking, but mostly offpiste.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@AntonAusTirol, It really depends on your definition of ski touring to the next town. Are you thinking of 3-4 hours up to a ridge or saddle, then skiing down into a resort, or something more extreme? Are you carrying all your equipment, so effectively hut-to-hut, but staying in towns instead?

I guess the best options would have been the villages/towns that are now linked by lifts into mega resorts or area. Before the lifts they would have been perfect for your requirement.

There appear to be plenty of companies offering hut-to-hut who could probably advise, for example: http://www.alpine-guides.com/hut-to-hut-ski-touring/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AntonAusTirol, I thik tis is refered to some places as a ski safari as opposed to a ski tour.

Dolomites would seem like an ideal place. I have no personal experience of this other than 1 week in Selva about 1995.

Here is the Dolomiti superski website. http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/ski-area/dolomiti-superski

This is a fantastic idea and if anyone has a DIY itinerary suitable for a family of 2 adults and 3 kids (who are perfectly competent skiers on anty piste in more or less any conditions) with stops in refuges, hotels, hostels or anywhere really- please post.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would work perfectly in Dolomiti as you can only really cover 60% of the ski area from a single base.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can't remember who, but I am certain I have seen a company advertising a ski safari in the Dolomites.

Edit: Is this what you were thinking of? http://theskisafari.com/ski-in-italy/dolomites-ski-safari/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are a few places here in Austria where you can do a mountain crossing (Überquerung) from one town/resort to another

e.g.

Tauplitz to Loser
http://www.skitourengehen.info/touren/skitour/1878/OW-ueberschreitung-Totes-Gebirge

or

Dachstein to Obertraun
http://www.skitourengehen.info/touren/skitour/46178/Die-Dachstein-ueberquerung

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 16-03-17 6:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colletts Mountain Holidays do some great ski 'safari' trips that explore some of the less-visited areas of the Dolomiti superski, skiing on the pistes and staying in different mountain rifugios or auberges each night. nb. these are pretty plush by any standard - more like chalet accommodation and with superb food. Great locations on the mountain too, so you get to ski straight out onto the pistes the next morning before the lifts have even opened. I did one of these last year and it was fairly fast pace with a reasonable distance covered each day. They transport your overnight kit for you, so you just ski with a normal day pack, other than the odd first or last run of the day where you have to carry your kit sack.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm really interested in anyone with experience of a DIY trip of this sort. On pitse but moving from place to place- ideally around teh Dolomites- but Austria would be great too, ideally with kids...

ed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DB, I did Dachstein to Obertraun (Obertauern is a different place) yesterday - very very enjoyable. Take a bus from Schladming up to the glacier and 3 days a week there is a bus back to Schladming - otherwise its taxi or train - or hubby collection service. Happy days. Ange Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Neilson do a ski safari in the Dolomites. Not cheap though. https://www.neilson.co.uk/ski/italy/dolomites-ski-safari/safari-info
snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ed123, someone did a trip report on here a year or two ago about a more DIY style safari they'd done in the Dolomites. I seem to remember that they found carrying their overnight bag all day every day between accommodation was a pain to say the least. But a lot cheaper than going on an organised trip through a tour operator.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have done it round the Portes du Soleil. We based in Avoriaz and made two or three day trips away carrying shoes and a change of underwear.

We were lucky doing it at Christmas / New Year as it was a good snow year. This was back in the 80s and not all of the villages were as connected as they are today.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CathS, cheers- I'll look for it. I think it all depends on how much stuff you take. If it's a change of pants, a t-shirt and a small wash bag in addition to your usual stuff- no problem. But it could easily get out of hand if there was an idea that you'd take a complete change of clothes and not smell really bad.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flangesax wrote:
@DB, I did Dachstein to Obertraun (Obertauern is a different place) yesterday - very very enjoyable. Take a bus from Schladming up to the glacier and 3 days a week there is a bus back to Schladming - otherwise its taxi or train - or hubby collection service. Happy days. Ange Very Happy

Hi Ange,
Yes it's great up there, did the "Rumplerrunde" a few years ago and hope to do it again before the end of March 2017. Last time the snow cover was not too good on the way down and it was a 10+ hour day, a lot of ski carrying and a ski down in the dark.

A couple of pics from the trip ...

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy