Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for my other half - girl (!) very strong on piste, skis off-piste 'cos I do

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

my missus likes a relatively long stiff one with a wide tip for playing around with most of the day, never one to miss the chance of a base grind and hot wax if offered , but when it comes to ploughing up the back country she gets the skins on and prefers something with a bit of give in it but insists on it being a bit shorter in length albeit as fat as possible.

limegreen1, this could be TMI Shocked - the 50 Shades of Ski thread was on the Piste!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What I find funny, and I admit to a degree of age related curmudgeoness on this is,

"You need width underfoot to support weight (fat gits like me need width) & length for fore/aft stability unless the user stays very well centred."

so, my 66mm underfoot, 203cm SG skis are perfect all rounders? They would have been when I was 21...

(Oh, and being well centred = can ski reasonably well Evil or Very Mad )
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Back to topic. Superfluous sexist fluff aside.

spyderjon, like I'm going to post that on a public forum. She's literally 5' nothing and light with it.

She is, as previously stated, a very strong, clean skier. A child of 70s skiing style. Upper body barely moves, lower body nicely controlled, very controlled speed but also quick with it. Ex-corporate slalom racer in Japan. Can ski off-piste on pure ability, not just some ludicrous snowboards in drag. I'm thinking a ski for powder days so rocker and say 165-170 toppy. But say 85ish+ and capable of holding and edge.

On the duff ideas front Bonafides are great skis but probably 10 cm short for me (think they are 172-3) Can hold a line off-piste with me on them but needs to be good powder or I get front forward. So I'm a fan of Blizzard and I used to have pocket rockets. Originators but far too floppy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nickski, i'm going to echo my Völkl comment but suggest if it's for powder days, go wider e.g. Aura. Or something similar from another brand. Can't help recommend Volkl as we've never skied a pair we didn't like. (And we've skied lots of skis and didn't like quite a few).

My Mrs sounds like she has a similar skiing style - 70s start, skied a lot with the Spanish nat team, 5'5", lighter than me.

We've both been on 177 Mantras for the last 2 seasons, 96mm underfoot and love them - on or off piste. They're just a little more effort on piste than a race ski. She has a dodgy knee and we are thinking a physically lighter ski might make life a little easier but that's the only complaint.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
She should just demo some, she may not need snowboards underfoot but she may find them a lot of fun. How about Volkl Kiku, Blizzard Dakota at the stiffer end of women's skis. Last years Rossi S110 or whatever the women's version of the S7 is or one of the new Rossis, Atomic Millenium, Armada VJJ or TSTw seem to be really popular at the softer end.

under a new name, what about whatever the touring version of the Mantra is? I think it is supposed to be very similar to the Aura which unfortunately they don't make longer than a 170cm now. The Aura is pretty light, much lighter than the Mantra and not quite as beefy feeling but still very good in all conditions. I managed to get an old but unskied pair of 177cm Auras from ebay.de.

Nickski, I think you would be able to sell the Bonafides pretty easily as they seem to sell out, have been watching a few pairs on Ebay but they were all going for more than I wanted to pay.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lynseyf, yes, we will be trying the relevant Volkl touring skis for her ladyship early this season!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Went for Blizzard Black Pearl (166). I of course chose them for their great technical features, whilst my other half thought they looked good. Volkl seem to garner marmite reviews, though from when when I tried a pair they might of suited her. Thanks Perty for the ski divas site. A really good idea to keep all the girly chit chat about this season's colours on a dedicated site whilst the real men can discuss our Line Sick Day macho style accessories over here.

Demoing obviously a great idea but Swiss prices aren't.

Thanks all. Genuinely useful.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My other half is a similar type skier, and ended up with the Movement Gloss, which she loves.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nickski, Sad http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=102718#2358671
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, I posted that way before you as well

oh well no one ever listens to me Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Megamum, and lynseyf too, I just happened to remember Perty because she contributed to one of the threads I read over there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy