Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Googles & Sunglasses

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from my SKI wear question do you think we'll need googles and sunglasses and is there anything special about the type of sunglasses we may need.

We're going end of March to Claviere.

Once again thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
magd36 wrote:
Following on from my SKI wear question do you think we'll need googles ...

Well, access to the internet is not strictly necessary on a ski holiday.... wink

Seriously though, yes it's always advisable to have goggles in case of bad weather - on sunny days you can just use sunglasses (meeting the usual UV filtering requirements) but it's best to have sunglasses with some side shielding to prevent too much airstream getting to your eyes when you're shussing. Madeye-Smiley

If you're looking for good value goggles, the german supermarkets Aldi and Lidl tend to get in skiwear accessories in the Autumn at very good prices, but they tend to sell out quickly - keep a watch on their websites for info.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My personal preference, goggles with interchangeable lenses for skiing, sunglasses for having lunch on a sunny terrace
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

My personal preference, goggles with interchangeable lenses for skiing, sunglasses for having lunch on a sunny terrace

+1

magd36, if yo are wearing a helmet then goggles work better than glasses. But it is nice at lunch to take them off and put on sunnies.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For goggles and sunglasses as others have said Aldi/Lidl/Decathlon. Work perfectly well and cheap enough that is just a minor annoyance when you or the kids leaves them on the resteraunt table at lunch time or drops them off the lift at the most inaccessible point. Sunnies go for ones rated at 4 for mountain use, the Lidl/Aldi ski offers usually include sunnies with interchangeable lenses from clear/yellow for low and flat light to dark mountain use rated.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kat.ryb, couldn't have said it better
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
goggles for me as sunnies let air around to dry out contacts
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davkt wrote:
cheap enough that is just a minor annoyance when you or the kids leaves them on the resteraunt table at lunch time or drops them off the lift at the most inaccessible point.

When you go to an expensive Alpine shop to replace the lost Aldi goggles, it becomes a very major annoyance.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Okay, so if it's nice enough sunglasses are an option for skiing but no need for anything "SKI" specific i.e. my Oakley's will be fine. Yes?

BTW "Googles" Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Goggles are a winner. Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonny Jones wrote:
davkt wrote:
cheap enough that is just a minor annoyance when you or the kids leaves them on the resteraunt table at lunch time or drops them off the lift at the most inaccessible point.

When you go to an expensive Alpine shop to replace the lost Aldi goggles, it becomes a very major annoyance.

Yep, I have spent 50 Euros on replacements in resort, twice. Then been moaned at because I moaned.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Okay, so if it's nice enough sunglasses are an option for skiing but no need for anything "SKI" specific i.e. my Oakley's will be fine. Yes?

You need "wraparound" glasses. They need to be secure i.e., don't dislodge easily, they need to be heavily tinted (sun and snow makes things very bright).

For poor light you need a lens that will improve contrast.

Personally I only use goggles in when it's snowing a lot.

My sunnies are Oakley M frame, goggles Oakley A frame.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Goggles for me, I took sunglasses the first time and they were reasonable Oakleys that didnt let too much in the edges but they just didnt cut it for me really and my face got cold. If you do take sunglasses make sure they are plastic not metal frames.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I skied for many years with a decent pair of Oakley sunglasses for most conditions, with a cheap pair of yellow tint goggles in my pocket or backpack for low viz days. This combo seemed to work pretty well and might be a good 'beginners' package to cut down expense, especially as you have the sunglasses already.

However I bought a helmet for the first time last year and they work much better with goggles, especially if the brand is the same or they're compatible with each other to prevent fogging (my helmet and goggles are both Smith and work superbly well together, whereas a friend who has different brands had to use sunglasses as his Oakley goggles kept steaming up). I still have my sunnies for lunchtime on a sunny terrace. I'm not sure now I'd go back to skiing in sunglasses, particularly as my goggles have easily interchangeable lens for different light conditions.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Id take both, I use sunnies if sunny and goggles if flat light or if its minus 20 or below so the strap keeps my ears warm.

Id get the cheapest sunnies too so would second the Decathlon idea, used to have a very nice expensive pair of CK's until I did an unintentional backflip off about a 10ft kicker and landed bang on the glasses which duly shattered and left me about £120 down
snow report
Jonny Jones wrote:
davkt wrote:

Well my goggles are expensive so they stay fastened to my helmet which I always wear. Aldi sunglasses - expensive replacement, easily solved, always pack at least twice the number of pairs as people in the party, still way cheaper than any mainstream brand and as its me and 2 kids on the ski/board trips at least one pair ends up lost or broken!
snow conditions
ScaryG wrote:

This. +1
ski holidays
Goggles most days for me, I wear contacts and find with sunnies that even the slights breeze can dry my eyes out terribly. Cheapish Bloc sunnies for lunchtimes when I take my helmet off - like davkt, my goggles stay attached to my helmet.
snow report
Quote:

I wear contacts and find with sunnies that even the slights breeze can dry my eyes out terribly

I find the opposite - my eyes stream, with or without contacts! I use sunnies for the terrace at lunchtime. Occasionally when it's really warm and sunny I set off without goggles, but almost invariably regret it.
snow report
pam w wrote:
.......my eyes stream, with or without contacts! I use sunnies for the terrace at lunchtime. Occasionally when it's really warm and sunny I set off without goggles, but almost invariably regret it.

+1
snow conditions
Serengeti shades with the Sadona lenses are about the best shades you can get for looking kool in the sunshine and being able to see a bit better in "flat light"
But you've always got to have a pair of goggles in your pocket in case the weather turns bad.
There are several makes of Goggles but I've never found spare lenses for sale in most ski villages that were not for Oakley goggles.
If your only going to put them on when the weather is bad you don't want them too shady ... the "persimmon" lenses are probably the best for low flat light.
ski holidays
Quote:

the "persimmon" lenses are probably the best for low flat light.

I like HI Yellow for total flat light, but the persimmon ones are probably better for a slightly broader use as they are ok if a little bit of sun peaks out.
latest report
It's cheap eyewear every time for me. I've snapped/lost so many pairs of sunglasses that I'd never contemplate otherwise....My current ones are Karrimor from Sports Direct - UV protection, cheap as chips, fine so far.
latest report
I find the streaming eyes problem with sunnies goes away after a run or 2
latest report
Quote:

It's cheap eyewear every time for me. I've snapped/lost so many pairs of sunglasses that I'd never contemplate otherwise....My current ones are Karrimor from Sports Direct - UV protection, cheap as chips, fine so far.

Are you crashing a lot and forgetful because you're half blind from wearing cheap sunglasses wink Laughing
snow report
I almost always wear sunnies, just don't like goggles, they tend to steam up as soon as I stop and I find wraparounds give enough shelter. It shouldn't be minus 13 in March so extreme cold face shouldn't be an issue.

I find that having polarised lenses makes the most difference as they really cut glare without being too dark, I tend to use them even in flat light as sometimes they bring out contrast in the snow better than tints (maybe my eyesight is just weird!). Mine are polaroid which are good lenses without designer cost. Most (but not all) Oakleys are polarised but some other "high end" brands are more about style than optics.
ski holidays
I have both but I also hate goggles, they steam up and I don't like the restriction in peripheral vision. I don't notice that my contacts dry out with sunglasses. Mine are proper ski polarised sunglasses, not expensive ones, I think I paid about €30. I wouldn't ski in just normal summer ones, far too liable to break and not dark enough for the reflected light levels on snow. I only wear goggles when it's really cold (minus 10-20) or snowing hard and I tuck my scarf or buff under to keep my face warm in an approximation of a balaclava!
My OH and son 17 never wear goggles, even in pouring snow, they just use Ok quality ski sunglasses (OH has prescription ones). Conversely daughter 21 skis in goggles even when it's sunny, she takes sunglasses for lunchtime. She prefers goggles because they don't slip/fall off. I have offered son goggles on many occasions but he says not to worry. He doesn't complain about lack of viz so my advice would be ..for a March trip, definitely take ski sunglasses. if you see cheap goggles pick them up but don't spend loads as there's a good chance you won't need them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy