Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Longest Chair lift in the Alps - always a fun discussion

Poster: A snowHead
What's the longest chair lift ride in the Alps?

I'll start by saying it's probably the one shared with Comedy Goldsmith Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sure. If I ever get to be a lifty I'll try and ensure (to the highest professional standards) you're not on it when the power goes off.

The old chairlift at Grindelwald (called 'First') had about 5 stages - does that count? (also, given that it doesn't exist any more)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Cote Brun back to Val Thorens used to feel the longest... It must be the worst place to be in cold and windy weather... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Folgarida-Marialeva-Madonna has to be the single longest bubble I have ever been on (I haven't been back to Whistler since they put in the BC connection)...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
The Cote Brun back to Val Thorens used to feel the longest... It must be the worst place to be in cold and windy weather...
Had a similar experience a few years ago on the chair that went from Valtournenche up to Cervinia - slow, cold and (seemingly) very very long.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Didn't someone compile a list of lifts to work out which had the fastest vertical rise last year? I can't find the post now, but given the same data you could easily answer this question.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:

I'll start by saying it's probably the one shared with Comedy Goldsmith Toofy Grin

the importance of context... Length as in time or length as in distance.... an important difference, I suspect for some.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't know about chairlifts, but I believe the longest gondola in Europe (in both distance and time terms) is the old Holenstein gondola from Grindelwald to Männlichen which takes 30 minutes, see this. Fortunately it's due to be replaced by a faster gondola in a few years' time.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I'll start by saying it's probably the one shared with Comedy Goldsmith

I can think of a good many more likely contenders.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, a big +1
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I'm a nice person really Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, pam w, our dutch troll springs to mind - mind you he wouldn't be on it long Toofy Grin

Longest, slowest I have been on is the one which comes up from bottom of Vallee d'Arc (I think) right over 1950 and into Arc2000 - lovely crusising blue, but a terrible lift. Possibly rivalled by Combercie which takes you from same place over into 1800 side.

If you have done Villaroger run - lifts out of their are hardly quick either!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Goldsmith knows I'm only pulling his leg. I have actually shared a very pleasant beer with him. (although when he said "I'll get the beer in" I did think he was going to buy us a beer each wink )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris wrote:
boredsurfin, pam w, our dutch troll springs to mind - mind you he wouldn't be on it long Toofy Grin

Longest, slowest I have been on is the one which comes up from bottom of Vallee d'Arc (I think) right over 1950 and into Arc2000 - lovely crusising blue, but a terrible lift. Possibly rivalled by Combercie which takes you from same place over into 1800 side.

Came in to say this; Pre St. Espirit is spirit-crushingly slow. Comborciere isn't much quicker but the scenery is better, Pre St. Espirit just seems to never end.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I never said "I'll get the beer in". That's a northern expression, not used by Londoners.

Neither of us attended the one and only 'bash' of the Jef Wickes Wintersports Abuse Zone (JWAZ) and are yet to share a chair. DB (originally 'Dangerous Brian' of Epicski) is a gentleman and scholar of the new-age ski world, and I look forward to a chairlift conversation (so intense that it will include riding about the bullwheel at the top) at some future time.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, The good old First chairlift, I remember going up the various sections and at the pen-ultimate one the lifty handed you a canvas cover to keep your legs warm, I reckon that was on a school trip about 40 plus years ago!
and 10chf to the £ !!
snow report
Wow @ 30 mins. Not been on that one - took train instead.
Timed that 2 man chair back from pralongia at 10mins and thought that was long.
ski holidays
for me it was the 3S at Kitz...but only because my wife refused to get on it, and instead from Kirchberg we had to ride two busses, and then a painfully expensive cab to Pass Thurn to meet her brother. We only made it to the rendezvous by going on the slowest oldest coldest 2 man bench lift from a lonely car park, followed by an icy red and a seriously long rope tow.

So really, that 3S took us about 4 hours.... rolling eyes

Needless to say I wasnt very happy Laughing
snow conditions
Comborciere is hell for sure.
snow report
Boris wrote:

Pre St Esprit. Little Angel
snow report
The longest chairlift is the one that breaks down for 2 hours in a blizzard....
snow report
dennisp wrote:
for me it was the 3S at Kitz...but only because my wife refused to get on it, and instead from Kirchberg we had to ride two busses, and then a painfully expensive cab to Pass Thurn to meet her brother. We only made it to the rendezvous by going on the slowest oldest coldest 2 man bench lift from a lonely car park, followed by an icy red and a seriously long rope tow.

So really, that 3S took us about 4 hours.... rolling eyes

Needless to say I wasnt very happy Laughing

Know it well. Up from Jochberg. That is in the past now as they have replaced both those lifts/tows for a super new 8 man gondola with heated seats.
latest report
andy wrote:
Wow @ 30 mins. Not been on that one - took train instead.

I believe in certain circles the 30minute Holenstein gondola is referred to as "the 2 spliff lift"..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
DB wrote:

Where ever it is it should be taken down Very Happy
snow report
How about the shortest one?
ski holidays
3S in Kitzbuhel is a gondola spanning an entire valley, not a chairlift.
latest report
Shortest I recall was one on sella ronda that seems to do little more than gain a few m altitude. Actually there are a few there.
Obv. Magic carpets don't count.
snow report
The gondola from Brides les Bains to the top of Meribel is over 6.5km (I just measured it on my 1:25,000 map). Are any longer than that?
The 3S at Kitzbuhel is 3.642km
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sometimes it's not the length, but the getting off that's the real problem.

http://youtube.com/v/KRHuYB2Pm0g

http://youtube.com/v/EWCVOxLfrHA
snow report
Back to chairs ... the Mossettes on the French side of the PDS, long chair lift but quite a quick one
snow report
Thought mossettes was quite slow, but then I've only done that in a cloud with bikes and It's 1 person + 1 bike only. Probably just psychological.
snow report
DB, I do an excellent line in after dinner "chair disasters" speaking Very Happy Laughing
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
I never said "I'll get the beer in". That's a northern expression, not used by Londoners.

So what phrase does a Southern Softie such as yourself use, or is it so long since you've used it that you've forgotten Toofy Grin wink

Jef Wickes was a legend in his own lunchtime, sadly missed.
latest report
Aye, the world's greatest skier and chairlift rider has been a bit quiet recently ... https://www.facebook.com/jef.wickes?fref=ts
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy