Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ultimate Adventure

Poster: A snowHead
I want ideas, creative, off the wall, stupid or ingenious.

Special birthday approaches and feel it warrants something not run of the mill to mark it's passing. Where can I go? What should I do?

I live in an alpine resort, have heliskied NZ, and the slope outside Dartmoor prison on snow pisted by kids tobogganing on the bonnet from a scraped car. I am not saying the local hills lack fun or challenge but I am trying to dream up something of a fantasy trip.

Vague list includes
Norwegian fjords touring from a sail boatboat
Hokkaido powder
Alaska backcountrybackcountry
Kamchatka heliheliheli
Playing hide and eek on skis with SvalbardSvalbard bears
Nab a first ski summit somewhere like Vinson range or South Georgia
Couple of hours in a fridge on a retail park

Not too hot on the practical requirements for most of these options (Japan and Alaska excepted with well organised operators.)

I am looking for inspiration, and then maybe the practical stuff like seasonal timing, who can help me get around and tips on avoiding being eaten by the local penguin gang etc.

Skiin Gian
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kamchatka heli sounds really good. Can't help with practicalities though
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2025668&highlight=norway+boat#2025668

welcome to Snowheads. snowHead There are some other relevant threads too, but this was the first one the search function threw up for me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skiingian, Alpine Experience out of Val d'Isere have done Sth Georgia, but I think you need to be reasonably well known to them to be " invited"

Lars at mountainpenguins.com has worked Kamchatka groups on boards poss not skis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Budget please or you'll receive potentially worthless info
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This looks pretty cool to me

http://www.iceaxe.tv/expedition/antarctic-peninsula-cruise-2013/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
monkey tennis?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pam w the trip looks great, I hear what was said about the land based version being cheaper but idea of being boat based is so much more romantic/adventurous. Interesting comment that the French are operating the boats, which perhaps explains my poor findings when searching in English. Paf a la researche encore!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow €10k would be an ultimate limit, don't want to deny the children food/education etc even if they would eventually understand that nourishing the body and mind are overrated.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, worked on my snowboarding last winter, but I think a ski trip would still be a better idea.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, blown away! That is just spectacular, perhaps Ice axe need some dishwashers so I can work my passage. Adding in flights plus will make this a pretty pricy trip, at the top if not over budget.

Trekking/skiing/whales and penguins. What more can I ask for.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Check out Black Diamond Tours for Japan, I'm doing some stuff with them this season and it looks like a really great outfit.

For something more off the wall, I've been contemplating the possibility of combining the trans-Siberia Express with ski touring, but I haven't got round to looking into the details/practicality yet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A large polar bear with a knife and fork in its paws and a bib around it's neck to catch the gristly bits???

Check out these guys - http://www.jagged-globe.co.uk/ski/

And, here: http://www.jagged-globe.co.uk/ski/JG_Ski_Programme_2014.pdf
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Afghanistan?? http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/apr/27/afghanistan-new-skiing-destination
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
in addition to the above:

iceland: www.arcticheliskiing.com
gulmarg: mountaintracks

have fun choosing - all part of the build up
ski holidays
Clarky 999. Trans-Siberia! Ahh, interesting, you said no details yet but are there mountains other than the Urals. Did check out the BAM variants link going to near Sakhalin. 5m of snow per year and mountains. Puzzled
snow report
Quote:
Special birthday approaches and feel it warrants something not run of the mill to mark its passing

Ice Hotel in Jukkasjarvi, Arctic Circle - A truly amazing experience. Make sure you book an upgraded room with ice sculptures. On our visit we skied at Riksgranssen and a smaller area whose name escapes me. Driving on deserted, ice-covered roads with studded tyres was great fun too.....http://www.icehotel.com/

Catskiing at a luxury wilderness lodge in British Columbia - After a special birthday last December, we skied here in January. It was out of this world. http://www.mustangpowder.com/
latest report
http://www.offpisteskiing.com/courses
I like the look of Norway..
ski holidays
How about a summer trip to Chile - I can highly recommend Portillo - the Hotel there is amazing - like going back in time to the 1920's - they even take your ski boots off for you at the end of the day and hand you your warmed shoes NehNeh
http://www.skiportillo.com/?lang=en
latest report
Johnor wrote:
How about a summer trip to Chile - I can highly recommend Portillo - the Hotel there is amazing - like going back in time to the 1920's - they even take your ski boots off for you at the end of the day and hand you your warmed shoes NehNeh
http://www.skiportillo.com/?lang=en

WOW
snow conditions
skiingian wrote:
Clarky 999. Trans-Siberia! Ahh, interesting, you said no details yet but are there mountains other than the Urals. Did check out the BAM variants link going to near Sakhalin. 5m of snow per year and mountains. Puzzled

I've really no idea yet; I think Siberia and I think cold, snow and mountains Embarassed Laughing There are for sure some peaks, and a friend of a friend has hook-ups for logistics/drivers/translators for the area after a kayak trip there. Really no idea if the train could work out, but love the idea of it. I should really look into it properly.
snow conditions
jbob wrote:
http://www.offpisteskiing.com/courses
I like the look of Norway..

went this year; going again next year (must pay the deposit) Cool
ski holidays
Quote:

Afghanistan?? http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/apr/27/afghanistan-new-skiing-destination

+1

Bamiyan is amazing place, not skied up there myself but know a few lads that have and they where blown away by it (couldn't help myself sorry). Keep away from the ruined hill top forts, used by the soviets as defensive positions and mined up to the ying yang. Probably best to heliski though wink
ski holidays
Las Lenãs in Argentina gets my vote if you can make the trip work in July/August. I've never ridden anywhere with as much accessible 'back country' terrain straight off one or two lifts. Admittedly, I did it on the cheap a few years back, sleeping in staff accommodation on the floor with 5 other people, but the mountain experience was the best I've had (2000m vertical from 4000m peaks, really stable and dry snow, endless lines).

The resort is a strange world of 5* hotels and people in Prada, mixed with big mountain powder hounds charging for first lift on a bluebird day. Several North America outfits run summer guiding down there, but I met a few guys from H20 and they were incredibly knowledgeable about the area:
http://www.alaskahelicopterskiing.com/las-lenas

My other thought is Riksgränsen in northern Sweden if you are considering Norway. There is only one hotel, but you can luxury it up and it has a spa etc. Best of all, there is a heli operation from the hotel door, giving access to loads of terrain. It is also one of the cheapest operations I have seen (we managed it on dirtbag rations just after uni), so your kids should be alright. The season there is best around April - late June and you can get some midnight skiing in for that 'special extra'.
http://en.riksgransen.se/sidor/aktiviteter/heliskiing-i-riksgraensen.aspx
ski holidays
Where I've been :

Argentina & Chile
Balkans - Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro
BC, Canada - resorts, cat, heli, touring
Hokkaido - resorts, cat, touring
Norway - Narvik, Stranda
US Road Trip - Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington

On my list :

Alaska
Armenia
Eastern Europe Road Trip - Albania, Bulgaria, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine
Greenland
Iceland
Iran
Lebanon
Norway - Lofoten, Lyngen
Russia
snow report
skiingian wrote:
Did check out the BAM variants link going to near Sakhalin. 5m of snow per year and mountains. Puzzled

Maybe add Rishiri (small Japanese island) and Sakhalin to an Hokkaido trip.

But definitely not instead of.

BTW for 10,000 euro you can spend a season on Hokkaido. Living it large. Easily.
latest report
For Norway? http://www.pistetopowder.com/ski-touring-course-norway-lyngen.html

Never been there but something I'd love to do (plus loads of the above).
snow report
Mike Pow, please keep the season in Hokkaido, wife dear has a special number coming up and that's what she wants to do. Where do you stay, I have not found much below yen 10000 per week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Buddy 1664, Does an Afghan trip = buying Kevlar layers to go over the snow kit?
snow report
skiingian wrote:
Mike Pow, please keep the season in Hokkaido, wife dear has a special number coming up and that's what she wants to do. Where do you stay, I have not found much below yen 10000 per week.

You can get a two bedroom house out of the main village for JPY 100,000 per month
snow report
Interesting, wife dear spent a couple of.years living in Japan and would need little convincing.
latest report
Oh dear.... This thread has made me think we need to go to Chile or Argentina next summer...... snowHead Why did I not think of this before??
latest report
OHH , yeah but where? S America was not on the list. The resorts of the far south seem interesting if fickle. Travelling I both for a long road trip countries seems like a winner but some years ago crossing the boarder was a bit sticky. Has this improved?
snow report
skiingian, hahaha maybe to use on transit. I can't see kevlar plates attracting the super light touring crowd!! wink
snow conditions
Buddy 1664, I have never really pulled off the superlight thing. Do you have any info on Afghan safety in the mountains?
ski holidays
skiingian wrote:
OHH , yeah but where? S America was not on the list. The resorts of the far south seem interesting if fickle. Travelling I both for a long road trip countries seems like a winner but some years ago crossing the boarder was a bit sticky. Has this improved?

Crossing from Chile to Argentina? I think that it has improved significantly - in 2010 we had no trouble going across a few times at various crossings on normal buses (I say normal, they were more comfortable than a 1st class flight). We heard of some guys with a lot of kit getting stopped coming over to Las Lenas from Santiago and having it all confiscated as customs believed they were going to sell it on. But we're talking a van load of freeriding gear for about 20 people!

Cerro Castor right down by Ushuaia has a fairly well developed ski area with a variety of terrain and good infrastructure. The maritime climate can make the snow a little variable but we found some easily accessible freshies a few days after the last storm. Ushuaia has a real frontier town feel so you know you are somewhere waaaaay south. Some amazing wildlife down there too if that is your thing
snow report
Gnarbeque, thanks, interesting info. I have friends who agree with your impression of Ushuaia. And yes, the thrill of spotting wildlife is a bonus to all of my outdoor sports.
latest report
I've done a 4 week road trip of a number of the Chilean and Argentinian resorts.

You could fly in to Santiago, Chile.

Head south to Nevados de Chillan, Antillanca, Pucon across the border to ski La Hoya, Corralco, Bariloche, Chapelco, Cerro Bayo, Caviahue.

Long drive to ski Las Lenas and then back across the border to hit Portillo, Arpa, Valle Nevado.
snow report
skiingian, PM sent
latest report
here is my latest plan: round the world ticket covering northern hemisphere. for example, London - Calgary - Vancouver - Tokyo - Hokkaido - Tokyo - Moscow - Kamchatka - Moscow - London.

that allows heli in Canada, Niseko etc, Kamchatka.ie 3 continents.

Alaska could replace or add to Canada.

Iceland, Sweden, Turkey etc could be added, although weather may make choosing optimal months to do this or even just the 3 above tricky.

could ask my wife to plan it but, er, on second thoughts....
the flight is reasonable: about £2000 for all of the legs in economy.

obviously the non flight costs could be high and it would take around 3 or 4. weeks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy