Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Roof box recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if this is quite the right sub-forum for this. But can anyone recommend a good car roof box that will definitely take 2-3 sets of 185 skis (most are too short). I have looked at the Thule Motion 900 which is 235 long and so should do the job but wow is it ever expensive!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MadMountainMan, I bought one of these http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/jetbag-sportive-50/138150395-241-16346?ref=search secondhand about 8 years ago and despite being abused (stuffed to bursting) it has been no problem and is on the car for pretty well 12 months of the year. I don't know whether they are sold in the UK though, although I got mine in the UK but secondhand. Does take 4 sets of long skis, and more junk in the raised part at the back.[/url]
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm it seems Jetbag are made by Thule anyway..............
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Okay thanks for that skitow. I've not seen any of them up on ebay but I'll keep a note of that model if it turns up. The Thule Pacific range is actually cheaper than their motion range and there is one for about £300 that is 232 long. So I'm trying to se if I can pick one of those up on ebay. Problem is, because of their size most are collection only and, of course, they're never anywhere near me!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I got a exodus box 2nd hand but it's great available from Halfrauds.
Just like this one http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_709089_langId_-1_categoryId_165500#tab1
190cm long. Our local store was very accommodating when I turned up with a pair of skis and asked to try them for size Very Happy
Easy to put on and off as well.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What length were your skis? I've looked at a few 190cm boxes but 5cm seems like a very small margin to allow myself.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MadMountainMan, see if you can find a Kamei Corvara, they are really the dogs private parts. Easy to put on and off, and very good quality. Cheaper boxes are thin and don't last. A particularly windy day down to the Alps finished off our old box.
Roofbox Company sometimes has some used ones on their website.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Link here with some bargains. http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bargains-sale-clearance/bargains-roofboxes-returns.php
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MadMountainMan wrote:
What length were your skis? I've looked at a few 190cm boxes but 5cm seems like a very small margin to allow myself.

Mine are 181cm but I took them into the store to check as I had the same worries as the box thins at the nose.
Tim
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
MadMountainMan, agree re the kamei Corvara, I bought one 2 years ago in tge close out sale that hells bells mentioned at roofbox.co.uk, great box and service. I put 4 pairs of skis (to 191cm long), poles, 2 pairs ski boots and 2 ABS rucksacks up there, brilliant!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MadMountainMan, Hi roof box size is sometimes a max size and as a few are pointed in some way at the front they can be a little deceptive

But on the other hand you mention 185 skis?? Have you measured them ? or just taken the ski size as its printed on the ski, some 185 skis are only 180 tip to tip in a straight line Toofy Grin

I use an older Halfords box which is 195 can get 200cm skis in it no problem Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow thanks for all the recommendations folks!

I went off and measure my skis and it turns out (quite logically I suppose) that the ski measurement is based on the flat length of the ski base. The actual length of my skis loses about 1cm through the 'curl' of the tips. So my double tipped 185s are actually 183cm 'flat' length and my single tipped 184s are also 183cm flat length.

So that gives me an extra couple of cms whoopee! Smile

I've looked at those deals and actually I'm probably better off getting a new one as I need bars as well for my car. Seems I can get a 200cm Kamei Husky XXL with locking bars for £310 which is not bad. Assuming the quality of the Kamei, which you guys seem to like, this looks like a good deal. The Corvara 310 (220cm) with bars is £350 and I guess it might be worth the extra £40... maybe.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MadMountainMan, the quality is great, can't comment on the HUsky. The good thing about the Corvara (we have the larger 4 something) is it opens from either side.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking on that site, not all of the Corvaras open from both sides. Also the one whose price I quoted is actually significantly smaller (though longer) than that Husky. For the nearly same capacity the Corvara is I think £360. So I guess the Husky is looking favourite at the moment.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MadMountainMan, the 310 comes in a right-sided or dual sided version. http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/kamei_corvara_310_silver_duolift_roof_box_no_km426/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4ure%60QNk3
ski holidays
MadMountainMan, we've got an old Thule Alpine 700 which is surplus to requirement. It's plenty long enough for skis(about 210cms).

We might be able to do a deal?
snow report
Hmm by the time I add bars to that 310 the price is getting a bit steep.

Yellow Pyranha, I might be interested in a deal. Where in Scotland are you? I'm going to be driving South in a week and a half so it could be a possibility?
snow conditions
MadMountainMan, did you check in the bargains section for one?
ski holidays
Used this one box from this maker for 15 years, no problems yet. However it is out of fashain by now. Toofy Grin

As the box was original bought for nordic skis it is a bit long, but so there is ekstra space for helmets.

http://www.montblancgroup.com/en/roof-box

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 2-10-13 21:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
We have a Kamei Delphin 470, which is excellent - it was bought with a competition prize voucher at http://www.roofbox.co.uk/ from snowHead about 3 years ago, and has been a huge success. The overall length will easily fit 185cm skis, and will take 4-6 pairs in padded bags. We use it maybe 6-8 times per year.
ski holidays
They have the Corvara 390K with duo lift in the bargains but it is £365 and then I have to get bars on top of that.

I'll wait see what Yellow Pyranha comes up with.
snow conditions
+1 for the Kamei Delphin range which is basically the Corvara with some of the bells'n'whistles - which you don't really need. I've got the Delphin 470 as I need to get 210cm downhill skis in. Excellent quality. I think Roofbox have one in their bargain section. Definitely go for aerobars.
snow conditions
MadMountainMan, I've got a Kamei Delphin that I might not need any more.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, thanks for the offer but it looks like I might be taking Yellow Pyranha up on his offer.
snow report
Again, thanks for all the info everybody. I now have a roof box - thanks Yellow Pyranha!
snow conditions
It was a pleasure. We enjoyed lunch in the Super Panther, and the dogs enjoyed their swim in Allt Ban.
snow report
I got a load of Thule stuff from roofbox.co.uk, who were very helpful.
ski holidays
^^^^^+1
Quote:

roofbox.co.uk, who were very helpful.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I see the OP has already found a box, however, for what it's worth, we bought a fantastically capacious box from the aforementioned www.roofbox.co.uk
It's a Kamei Delfin 470 with u-bolts.
Simple but very reliable and fuss free.
Plus, they actually understand customer service.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy