Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs or Flaine - going down to the vote ?!

Poster: A snowHead
So As it stands we have decided on these two areas for our second family ski holiday. (Beginners ish)
Les Arcs 1800 or Flaine from 20th December 2014.

Your vote counts and why, go for it (Please)? Puzzled

We will be flying .
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Arc, I have had so many fantastic ski days in this area including learning. Lots of blues to get you started on and the reds are varied so something to move onto. There are high open runs and lower tree lined runs. Although I had to admit that I've never skied in Flaine
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been to both. Either would be good. I think les Arcs busier and more very fast skiers and risk of collisions. I would suggest Flaine this time, Les Arcs when you have built up more confidence (unless you like to go out at night in which case Flaine is no go)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go to Flaine. We went there for our first and second family ski holidays Easter, then Christmas 1988. Totally changed our lives and we all got hooked on skiing. Sons were 11 and 14 on our first trip. Its a good place for beginner/intermediate. Skied there several times since including January this year. Go to Les Arcs later when you can handle all the black runs and the fact that the link with La Plagne gives a larger area - although personally I hate La Plagne!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les arcs it,s just better
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are beginners ish then go to a smaller and cheaper resort with better value ski schools
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Arc, better sking and resort(s)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I assume you are planning to fly to Geneva - transfer to Flaine under 2 hours, much easier and less time consuming journey than Les Arcs. As beginner ish skiers Flaine would get my vote as there will be plenty for you to do and achieve right from resort level. By the way it aint pretty but it does do the job snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wouldn't go to either for a second week ski holiday. Les Arcs might be slightly better for snow cover early season. Flaine is a lot nearer Geneva. I think there are better options - eg La Rosiere.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flaine is probably the most depressing Alpine town I have ever been to. It's like a prisoner of war camp.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Les Arcs for me. Flaine is nice, Les Arcs is fab!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definitely Les Arcs. Love the place. Lessons are reasonably cheap and there's plenty of terrain for all abilities. An all round superb resort.

I do have to bite about La Rosiere being a better option, though. I can't think of one thing that La Ros does better than Les Arcs (apart from the novelty of providing a skiable option into a different country). It's all about opinions though. I just don't share that one....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

If you are beginners ish then go to a smaller and cheaper resort with better value ski schools

Agree. Of the two, though, I'd plump for Les Arcs. I've never been to Les Arcs but it sounds good. I have skied in Flaine several times, but never stayed there (just day trips). Don't like it much, I must admit. Ugly, as people have said, but also has been limited skiing when I've visited, with lower areas closed - and 20 December is very early season so that would be a distinct possibility. My daughter and partner skied there one half term, when the same thing applied - they said the lift system was good, few bad queues, but horrendously crowded pistes, with so much of the area closed. They are both experienced skiers and were with a UCPA group but said they felt quite scared at times.

Go somewhere where you can get lessons with a ski school guaranteeing no more than 6 people in a group.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ive been to both and prefer Les Arcs. There are great tree runs down into Vallandry and Plan Peisey and plenty of more challenging slopes if you want to push yourself.

Flaine is still a good resort but is very ugly compared to les arcs (concrete block in the middle of the mountains) and it has several difficult drag lifts for begginers
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Both.

At once.

Doubles your chance of powder.
snow report
We went to Les Arcs in Christmas week for our second skiing trip and have been back 4 times since (each time for Christmas week), have never been to Flaine so I can't comment on that. Each time we've been to Les Arcs the snow has been great and no real queues (especially compared to the week after). I'd say you'd have a great time there with plenty of slopes to suit every ability
snow report
winter2009, Most of the best skiing in the Grand Massif is low down. The Flaine bowl is dull

in December it's Paradiski every time
snow report
I love les arcs, but for 2-3 weekers, I'd go flaine - terrain is smaller/friendlier and it's easier to get to. If les arcs then note vallandry/1950/charmetogger/1600 better than 1800 proper for beginners imo - the runs home to 1800 get icy and very busy!
ski holidays
and now I see the date...hmm maybe les arcs after all - it holds up well under little snow .
latest report
Quote:

The Flaine bowl is dull

I must admit I found it a bit dull, too, and was disappointed not to be able to try the lower areas. I also find the prices for eating on the mountain very expensive, but I'd probably find Les Arcs equally expensive, as I am used to "small resort" prices, and also didn't have the local knowledge to find the best value in Flaine.
latest report
Dav wrote:
Definitely Les Arcs. Love the place. Lessons are reasonably cheap and there's plenty of terrain for all abilities. An all round superb resort.

I do have to bite about La Rosiere being a better option, though. I can't think of one thing that La Ros does better than Les Arcs (apart from the novelty of providing a skiable option into a different country). It's all about opinions though. I just don't share that one....

Quieter slopes
Cheaper lift pass
Cheaper and better ski schools

All good for a week 2 skier.
ski holidays
Les arcs without question, taken the kids to both. Flaine bowl is rubbish and churned up = awful for kids. Led arcs is well linked, you can meet anywhere within 15min on blue runs. Seriously, go for led arcs - just avoid the transarc
ski holidays
Also, Snow in led arcs will hold better
ski holidays
pam w, Arc 1600 is actually quite reasonably priced 13 euro for a plat du jour or a burger and chips 3 for a beer.
snow conditions
So Les Arcs out on top so far.

As for booking are there normally bargains to be had if we hold off booking until December or being Christmas week must will be booked up early?

Haven't decided wether to book with TO or independently ?
latest report
winter2009, Don't leave it late to book, especially if you are arranging your own travel. I've not booked a package before however, so perhaps someone will be along to advise on that aspect.
ski holidays
Les ARCs at that time of year. We stayed in 1800 early Jan this year and snow was in good condition. Even then the lower areas below about 1800 were thin and closed in places. There are nice open runs directly above 1800 but also get up to 1950-2000 bowl. Pick your route and you can get there and back on nice blues. 1800 seemed to be much cheaper that 1950 to stay and to eat.

We stayed at Pierre and Vacances Le Belmont, it has been done up and is pretty good for the money, good location for town, schools and lifts.

Don't know about TO deals but direct bookings were full for main holiday weeks by Aug/Sep last year so leaving it late could be risky.
ski holidays
Quote:

Haven't decided wether to book with TO or independently ?

If it's an apartment you're after, I'd book independently - you can get much nicer accommodation, and a far wider choice. Either drive from the UK or book cheap flights the moment they are released and then rent a car (or go by train and up the funicular?). I wouldn't leave it too late to book an apartment (and prices of privately owned places won't drop much anyway) but the agencies won't be focussed on next season until June/July.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would go to Les Carroz (part of the same Grand Massif area as Flaine).

If you just get the Massif pass you can ski Carroz, Morillon and (I think) Samoen, and the skiing is excellent I would say for beginners and intermediates. Plus Les Carroz is a nice village with a very French feel (though getting more English).

50 mins from Geneva airport.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy