Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste-ing of the pistes?

Poster: A snowHead
It's something they I've been curious about for the last few years in various resorts. There seems to be little if any of piste 'smoothing' by those machines that create the corduroy finish. Has there been a reduction in this activity due to the recession? I remember in previous years these machines seemed to always be put during the night smoothing out all the rough/ mougled areas??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not noticed any reduction in Schladming.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends on the resort. I think the Swiss are far more meticulous about the nightly pisting than other countries.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In my area (Espace Diamant in France) almost all pistes are groomed every night. The exceptions are some black runs, which are pisted every now and then, but not every night, for those folk that like moguls.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They seem to do more of it now in Grand Massif than in the past....WISH THEY WOULD STOP IT!! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A lot of it is down to the timing of when it snows. If it snows through the night, into the morning, precedence is of course given to opening lifts, piste bashers and skiers don't mix, so sometimes pistes are left as nature intended. This makes some folks happy and some folks sad. Had a nice mix of this yesterday in mt chery, where the reds and blues were perfect cordroy, and the blacks were left alone Toofy Grin . Made for a very happy day.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a no-win situation though isn't it. I'm sure a poll of snowHead would show half of us wanting groomed every day, and the other half not.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think wherever there are alternate ways down, at least one way should be bashed and at least one way not. They mix it up a lot better in North America than Europe in my experience.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mozwold, Not sure. I like some groomed and some not. I would have to be on both sides. Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman,
Quote:

I think wherever there are alternate ways down, at least one way should be bashed and at least one way not.

I've been on some slopes where it would be entirely possible to have half of it moguls and the other flat. It's been a while since I was there, but I'm sure they used to do exactly that on a run called Signal (?) in Alpe d'Huez.

Thornyhill, Yes I used to be indecisive...............now just not so sure Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from morzine and in a week where there was about 0.6m of snow I didn't witness one 'piste basher' in operation all week? Is there a policy not to 'piste' the 'pistes' during a snowy week? Also during a week of zero snow fall, how often would the 'pistes' be 'pisted'? Probably varies from country to country and within each country there are probably variances between resorts. Can anyone enlighten me?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sneachta2013 wrote:
Just back from morzine and in a week where there was about 0.6m of snow I didn't witness one 'piste basher' in operation all week? Is there a policy not to 'piste' the 'pistes' during a snowy week? Also during a week of zero snow fall, how often would the 'pistes' be 'pisted'? Probably varies from country to country and within each country there are probably variances between resorts. Can anyone enlighten me?

As you say, it does vary a lot.

But in almost all European resorts, all red or blue (or green in countries which have them) pistes will be bashed pretty well every night, new snowfall or not, because they will be cut up by users during the day.

This is done after the pistes have been closed for the night, usually (IME) starting round about 7PM, and carrying on until the early hours of the morning.

In some countries/resorts, piste bashers are not allowed to be used while pistes are open, so it would only be in very exceptional circumstances that you would ever see one while skiing.

In other countries/resorts, they will routinely bash some pistes again during the day (particularly home runs, just before the afternoon rush starts), so in those places it will not be at all uncommon to see an operating basher.

I have skied more in Austria than anywhere else, and there I have seen at least one during the day on almost every trip.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Prefer them left alone really like in North America and Canada Sad
When it is marginal conditions pisting just compacts into an early morning Icy Run......... So defeats the object of the exercise really Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

But in almost all European resorts, all red or blue (or green in countries which have them) pistes will be bashed pretty well every night, new snowfall or not, because they will be cut up by users during the day.

certainly the case in my area. There are two shifts of people working through the night, every night. Also the case that piste bashers are NEVER on the slopes with skiers - all grooming is done after the lifts close. Someone on the Birthday Bash said that this rule was also being brought in in Austria.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was in Gressoney last year and quite often saw piste bashers on the piste during the day - with baskets on the back carrying skiers back over the ridge to Champoluc because the linking lifts were closed due to wind. I do not think they were bashing as they went, however.

Wasn't someone killed recently when they were run over by a piste basher?
snow conditions
Quote:

Wasn't someone killed recently when they were run over by a piste basher?

yes, there have been several.
latest report
Grooming uses *loads* of diesel, so there's a significant cost to the resort. I think they burn something like 15-20l/hr.

The main reason for grooming is to compact and preserve the snow. If it's snowing then the runs will get bashed; although if it snows overnight then they'll often leave it because they don't want the machines on the slopes when the skiers are there - but you'll find extensive grooming at some point the day after the snow finishes.

In the absence of fresh snow, the runs will be groomed as necessary to keep them useable - pushing snow over the thin bits, smoothing out some of the moguls, etc.
latest report
Stumbler, it probably depends on the resort. I think that most of ours, except a few of the more difficult blacks, are groomed every night, whether it's snowed or not. The machines are rolling out of their garages soon after the lifts closed - once the pisteurs have swept all the slopes to make sure there are no stragglers.
snow report
Pretty much most pistes overnight every night at most places I've been. Pds, Dolomiti, Zillertal etc.
But then it does depend on whether it snows or not.
Yes bashers do go up in Austria during the day, but it's never more than 1 basher going up the side of a piste leaving 1 stripe, and only very occasional (I've seen maybe 1 per day). Everyone stops or move to other side, so it's hardly an issue. Big red noisy thing with beepers and flashing lights are not exactly stealthy.
snow report
Austria (certainly skiwelt and Zillertal) seem to do everything every night. Les Arcs only piste the most worn bits and the easiest blues, reds get done every so often. The less steep runs didn't mogul particularly lower down when it got warmer, they just got scraped and unpleasant. The bottom of the Aiguille Rouge, where it goes blue near Villaroger was sheet ice and rocks. There seemed to be a reasonable amount of snow at the edges but there was no effort made to push snow in, cover the bare bits or smash up the ice. I have skiied Austria with far less snow (white lines on the green) but the constant tending keeps the runs in good nick.

One good thing at Les Arcs is the blacks and some of the steep reds are divided into pisted (sometimes!) and "nature" which are never pisted so you know what you are getting and there is a good chioce for all tastes.
snow report
All the resorts we've lived in piste all the greens and blues and most of the reds every night.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy