Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Longest ski runs in the Alps - always a fun discussion

Poster: A snowHead
I rode the Ishgl piste mentioned in that article on the last day of the last season, that's a reasonable run although riding it top to bottom without stopping wasn't problematic - it's just motorway. The same thing's true for those K-Matterhorn runs - obviously there's a fair bit of vertical available, but it's not particularly challenging.

If you carved circles all the way down any motorway piste you could create your own longest run wherever you happen to be.

I rode Goldeck and although it's got some steeps (eg there's a speed course), I don't remember that specific run. It's not a place you'd go if you want big, particularly.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball, Very few black runs are black all the way. I happen to like the fact that it marks the black sections black (apart from the bit where you turn right off the glacier onto the road) and the red bits red. And Les Arcs has regraded quite a few of its runs over the years.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One of the things that has struck me when I've been on these really long runs is just how quickly you can get down them (and I'm not the fastest skier in the world). In February I got onto the Sarenne by mistake Embarassed just below the point where you can't turn off so quite near the top. It was around 3 and I was concerned about getting to the bottom before the lifts stopped. In fact it only took about half an hour. Last time I skied down to Valtournenche was from Zermatt first thing in the morning with my daughter who was 12 at the time. From getting on the lift at 8.30 we were drinking coffee in Valtournenche by 10 from memory. So that was 2400m vertical up and about the same down, and 22km of skiing to boot, in 90 minutes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In general the easier the run the quicker you get down.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball wrote:
In general the easier the run the quicker you get down.
Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
johnE, you should add the Inferno from Piz Gloria 2,970M to Lauterbrunnen 795M ir 2175M of vertical over a 15.8Km course
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, yeah but it's not all downhill...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, theres two relatively short sections that might have to be poled dependant on conditions
http://youtube.com/v/mgj_uW1fH3k but under ideal conditions it is possible to glide those two bits (rare though)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't know how long La Sache is in Tignes but it's a long black and interesting the whole way down (unlike the Sarrene.)

Isn't the long red down to Ortisei about 16km?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, I wasn't the skier, but you'll find my smiling face on that video...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
admin, they say it's 10km, but my GPS track claims about 8km..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We had a heavenly run down tge Gebroulaz Glacier 20 odd years ago in bright clear weather and there we no other skiers to be seen, fresh tracks!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Claude B wrote:
At Les Deux Alpes you can ski from the top of the Glacier at 3600m down to Mont de Lans at 1300m which is a total vertical of 2300m. Although it's not one named piste it can be done without taking a lift and there are actually a few different ways it can be done. I don't know exactly how many km it is but it must be 15 or more I guess especially if the flattest route is taken. I'll measure it by gps next time I'm there.

And by most accounts having done that you've done the biggest lift served continuous on piste descent on the planet.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Deux Alpes and Alpe d'Huez both have uninterrupted pisted descnets of 2300 metres vertical which , by definition, are going to be pretty long.

The deux aples one does have a rather flat green bit in the middle, but it's a good run, and I've done it in 16 minutes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Marmolada - Malga Ciapella is coming in at about 9.5km (6miles - for almost exactly 1 mile vertical). More substantial piste than Ortisei too. Can't be many longer runs in Dolomiti.
snow report
Quote:

The deux aples one does have a rather flat green bit in the middle, but it's a good run, and I've done it in 16 minutes.

I've done the L2A one - that green in the middle was a killer on a board in spring slushy snow! Only just made it across. Did it twice, once to see the way, and another to 'race'. Did it in just over 22 mins IIRC so quite a lot longer than you. Very Happy
ski holidays
You can take the black Valentin instead of Demoiselles, same vertical but less distance travelled. Or do you mean the green heading down under the tunnel to the Mont de Lans run, or even the one round to Cretes, can't avoid those ones. I'll do it with my GPS next month to see just how far it is.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy