Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying with just a ski bag

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of buying my own skis soonish, the price of flying with an extra bag is putting me off a little though.
£25-£30 each way -.-

So I was wondering if many people fly with just 1 large ski bag and pack there clothes into that to avoid extra baggage charges? Anyone know if Easyjet, Jet2 are ok with that?

On a side note is it a good idea to buy skis while at the resort or do the French tend to rip off foreigners a little?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jet2 often do offers for free ski carriage. Sleazyjet and other airlines often stipulate that you can't put anything in a ski bag except one pair of skis - however we usually cram as much stuff in there as possible. It's a bit risky though, they sometimes check.

Quote:

On a side note is it a good idea to buy skis while at the resort or do the French tend to rip off foreigners a little?

I suspect resort shop prices for hardware might be higher for everyone, not just the english. Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Daishan, Have a look at the easyjet website which talks about weights. http://support.easyjet.com/faq/en/request.do?view()=c{0fa4ed10-cedc-11e2-ef6e-000000000000}

Not sure if the link I have posted will work, but it goes through senarios of having one sport bag with no other bags etc. Hope that helps a bit
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thx for the quick replies, I'd somehow managed to skim over the part where Easyjet let you take just 1 item of sports equipment and no other hold baggage.

I was mostly trying to work out if there's anything to stop me having a ski bag as my hold baggage without booking it in as sporting equipment. As far as I can tell there's only a weight limit on general hold baggage (no size restrictions) so assuming I could keep the weight down I could just pay for 1 normal bag?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Daishan, I'd have thought you'd struggle to get skis, boots and a weeks kit under the single baggage allowance.

But, crack on with the scales and let us know. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
With easyjet, you pay for a bag, and get 20kg, and then you pay the sports supplement and get an additional 12kg. This means your one hold bag can weigh 32kg and you still get to carry a bag on board. I always travel like this when skiing.

I've found that skis are more expensive in resort and the best deals are here (unless you're going to the USA)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dirty Gibson, that was my point. In reality you're buying a bigger weight allowance.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Daishan, Technically your plan should work - baggage is baggage and what's in it is none of their business (provided it's permitted by IATA etc). I think I managed to pull that one once by arguing it out with the check in desk (in the halcyon days of free hold baggage).

Practically however ask yourself how much you want to spend time arguing the odds with a computer says no desk harridan under threat of not taking your luggage or paying a ransom price supplement?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Easyjet have a big notice telling you that you cannot take sports equipment such as skis as your normal checked in baggage and I am sure they will notice when you load them onto their scales. But why not put all your other stuff in your carry on bag - they allow huge carry on bags which are easily enough for me to pack for a weeks skiing (remember to wear the jacket)

Buying skis in the resort allows you to test them before buying. Most shops will allow you a free day's trial before purchase to make sure they suit you. The prices are the same for everyone whether you are French or any other nationality and typically, in my experience, significantly less expensive than the UK.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buying skis in resort also makes any returns problematic.

And if you shop around, you'll find the best deals are usually online and away from resorts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I will be doing just that in a week to the uk and then back a week later, with said same ski bag, but with no skis in it.... I don't expect any problems
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
The prices are the same for everyone whether you are French or any other nationality and typically, in my experience, significantly less expensive than the UK.

True and really? I've never found a Euro resort shop that sells at much lower than RRP (or standard selling price where RRP has clearly been created by JK Rowling) before April. Captive market economics etc. French people for instance frequently seem to shop down valley at Decathlon, Vieux Campeur etc.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, It depends whether you consider Bourg st Maurice a resort or not, but my son bought a pair of green heads there last Christmas for about £250, about £150 less than the UK. Of course a lot depends on what is on offer at the time, but shopping around is shopping around in France or the UK.

A couple of years ago I bought a pair of skis in the UK and after a couple days I noticed that the bindings had not been put on correctly. I took them to a shop in Les Arcs, who confirmed that the bindings were incorrectly mounted but wouldn't touch them telling me to take them back to the UK for repair. So another reason to buy in the resort is that you can take them back if they are not correct and get them repaired.

Incidentally I find Decathlon very good at charging exactly the same price in pounds as euros instead of the normal mark up added to pound prices.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
So another reason to buy in the resort is that you can take them back if they are not correct and get them repaired.

Unless you find this out when you get home.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have looked at various Airlines see below , maybe we should have a forum detailing each airline & luggage rules for skiing!

Easyjet rules below , but can put boots & poles in with skiis but presumably nothing else ! though could pack skiibag with some stuff
& then use hand luggage for rest, so only pay for one hold bag

You pay for Baggage allowance

0 bags,1 sporting item • total allowance 1 item @ 32kg
• this item must be a genuine sporting good as defined

1 bag, 1 sporting item • total allowance 2 items @ 32kg total
• 1 item must be a genuine sporting good as defined
• you may distribute weight between items as desired

1bag, 2 sporting items • total allowance 3 items @ 44kg total
• 2 items must be a genuine sporting good as defined

British Airways rules say you can carry skiis in the one hold luggage bag , 23kg ,with rest of your gear except skiboots !
but can carry boots as hand luggage which is a sizable bag 56 x 45 x 25 & a handbag or laptop 45 x 36 x 20 with total weight limit of 23kg

Swissair is best as can carry skis & boots seperately for free as well as a paid for hold bag
ski holidays
snowxxx, good summary but swiss to GVA is using different rules
latest report
skimottaret,
Quote:

snowxxx, good summary but swiss to GVA is using different rules

Please elaborate!
Flying on Swiss to GVA for the PSB and IOS Opener then returning same route.
Several (7+?) confirmed with Swiss for PSB so your comment/observation requires clarification please!

Is there something that I've missed?
ski holidays
http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/various/geneva_light/Pages/baggage.aspx

depends what ticket you booked but they have introduced a cheap "light" fare to GVA to copete with Easyjet
latest report
skimottaret,
No problems there, then - booked the bog-standard economy ticket!
ski holidays
Daishan, get the skis, get the bag (with wheels!) then look for airlines that don't charge. An £88 return flight with EasyJet turns into £160 with luggage and skis, whereas for same route, similar times, BA is £118 because - at the moment - they don't charge for even bulky items: "Larger items of up to 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in) can be carried for an additional over-sized bag charge. (Currently, we waive this charge so you do not pay it.)" Must be under 23kg though. Of course this will all have changed by the time you get your gear! EJ is fine if you've hand luggage only, beyond that there's better deals to be had.
snow report
Tried to make clear with Swissair you have to make sure you have hold luggage or pay for hold luggage to get free ski carriage
latest report
And avoid Flybe (and maybe some other airlines) from certain airports too. They have small planes on some routes and only take so many pairs of skis. Skis arriving 2 days late is an inconvenience, but you can get rental in resort. Full sized coffin bag turning up on Thursday lunchtime would be a major PITA.
ski holidays
Quote:

And avoid Flybe

YES! This was a massive pain going to L2A and no ski bag Sad
latest report
Take the train, you can take as much luggage as you can carry Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Just wondering which train would be best from Belfast then ? snowHead
latest report
snowxxx wrote:
Have looked at various Airlines see below , maybe we should have a forum detailing each airline & luggage rules for skiing!

Easyjet rules below , but can put boots & poles in with skiis but presumably nothing else ! though could pack skiibag with some stuff
& then use hand luggage for rest, so only pay for one hold bag

You pay for Baggage allowance

0 bags,1 sporting item • total allowance 1 item @ 32kg
• this item must be a genuine sporting good as defined

1 bag, 1 sporting item • total allowance 2 items @ 32kg total
• 1 item must be a genuine sporting good as defined

1bag, 2 sporting items • total allowance 3 items @ 44kg total
• 2 items must be a genuine sporting good as defined

British Airways rules say you can carry skiis in the one hold luggage bag , 23kg ,with rest of your gear except skiboots !
but can carry boots as hand luggage which is a sizable bag 56 x 45 x 25 & a handbag or laptop 45 x 36 x 20 with total weight limit of 23kg

Swissair is best as can carry skis & boots seperately for free as well as a paid for hold bag

Never had any difficulty with a huge wheelie ski bag stuffed to brim with skis,for me and the kids, boots and anything else we need for me and the kids with Easyjet, Jet2 BA or Swiss. If anyone asks I'll happily argue all the clothes are sports gear. With Easyjet I just buy a couple of ski bags and we can get 2 sets of skis, a snowboard and all the other clobber for the week in them.
ski holidays
We flew with easy jet ti Geneva a few years ago and they confirmed by phone and upon arrival at checkin that the ski package included your boots - even as a seperate bag (as I was going to carry them on as hand luggage). Both bags arrived ok, no probs and the same on the return flight. It would be worth checking although things may have changed....
latest report
How much kit are you taking???? I had no problems getting my skis, boots, wash bag and various bits of clothing in a ski bag weighing under 23kgs.... Rest of clothes in a hand baggage sized wheelie as carry on... But then I always travel BA so this works for me!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy