Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Helmets should be replaced every two to three years"

Poster: A snowHead
beequin, thought he went to Harrow?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Harrow County School for Boys, an entirely different animal.

A bit like Jeffrey Archer went to Wellington School, not the rather posher Wellington College he has previously claimed.

(Though Portillo isn't a liar and doesn't claim Harrow.)

Neither of them are public school men, don't you know.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Theslopes1967 wrote:
I work for John Hopkins Medicine

Pushing a mop and bucket round in a hospital doesn't qualify you to have an opinion on medical matters, any more than pushing one round Maccy Ds does.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Theslopes1967 wrote:
Portillio where me and my husband go

I bet your husband is really glad he married you, too.

Or are we talking civil ceremony, if you know what I mean? Toofy Grin

PS I'd take you more seriously if you could spell the ski resort you spend so much time in. Unless 'Portillio' actually exists?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
By the way, I just noticed you can't spell the name of the place you allegedly work at, either.

Johns Hopkins.

It's trivial, but you appear to be an appendage so I think it's OK.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kesone1 wrote:
It now transpires that Theslopes1967, is my numpty mate Terrence at work. Colleagues seem to think me being a member of snowheads is odd. Not sure why! Very Happy

So well trolled sir. Pays me back for sending fake hospital messages following his 'appointment'.

Ah - good work. I did wonder about the spelling snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did wonder why kesone got trolled in particular...all makes sense now Very Happy

(ps he's probably right wink )
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
northernsoulboy wrote:
in fact, more people braining themselves is good for me, as the slopes are emptier.

The Piste Warriors should wear body armour because fighting for the limited space is where all the accidents happen....

Off trail its freedom how it should be & no folks to worry about wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 3-10-13 19:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quite right, skiing with all your friends is great.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitters, he is an absolute chopper. Every time I looked up this afternoon I could just see him lauging to himself. Payback's a bitch though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kesone1, please ensure that we are all involved in the retribution.....especially Masque.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Theslopes1967 wrote:
protection is better to no protection... I am sure you have all used contraception.

I would wear a helmet if there was a chance I was going to be inverted. I don't park ski. Neither do I wear a condom when I am fitting kitchens in the local convent.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thornyhill wrote:
I would wear a helmet if there was a chance I was going to be inverted.

In which case, it's the neck that's in most peril and that helmet might even exacerbate the damage. Other than a ton of special training, I don't know how the neck can be protected (some kind of specially-developed Hans Device maybe?) but, really, amateurs attempting what the pros do in the half-pipe is just a recipe for disaster. But once paralysed, the newspaper article will say "he was wearing a helmet" so that's ok then.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm an anaesthetist in the uk and spend a lot of my time dealing with traumatic brain injury in a and e (good going head injuries requiring anaesthetic management) to reduce the impact of secondary brain injury. There is nothing I can do to help the bit of your brain that has been damaged in a head injury but I can try and reduce the impact of the significant rise in intracranial pressure that occurs through cerebral oedema, mass effect of blood, hypoxia, hypercarbia and reduction of cerebral metabolic rate. The bit that was injured initially is toast though. The only way to protect that is through primary prevention ie wearing helmets.

When faced with punters with a severe brain injury I can do something about it, but I'm in a hospital with drugs and tubes and a ventilator. Yes a helicopter can get you off the mountain or can get a critical care trained doctor to you relatively rapidly but not that rapidly, reducing secondary brain injury starts from the time that the primary injury has occurred and there is inevitably going to be a delay before that starts to happen.

Whilst I fully accept that moderate to severe head injuries are relatively rare they are life changing events, and not in a good way. A helmet may just reduce the impact on yours and your families life. And if I'm confronted with someone with a significant brain injury who had the potential to reduce its impact and didn't then I will feel less bad if it all goes horribly wrong for you. I wear a helmet for skiing and cycling, both on and off road. I have been grateful for it several times.

I would also counter the arguement that the skull is pretty solid and the jelly inside doesn't get damaged too much because it's soft and can absorb the impact / move. That's rubbish. Google coup and contre coup injury. Yes the skull is pretty solid but it has some pretty big blood vessels running underneath it that are quite fragile. I have seen several extra dural haematomas from relatively minor injuries, a punch to the side of the head causing a laceration of the middle meningeal artery in a man not much older than me being one.

Yes there may be some profit driven scaremongering about how often you should change your helmet but thats a side issue. I change my bike helmet every 3 years or after a smash. Probs not my ski helmet as often as it clearly doesn't get as much use.

Bert
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you go down on the table about "couses of death" on this site:

http://www.ski-injury.com/specific-injuries/head

Try to notice that person to person/ other opjects has the far higher frequeny of death.

So all you superskiers with hudge bools - it is not about your superability on skies, but the otherskiers ability and som liftpoles!
ski holidays
How about some science based conclusions:

Helmets do not increase the chance of neck injury : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20406762

Helmets do not increase the level of risk-taking amongst wearers : http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/44/3/204.abstract
snow conditions
BertIsfantastic wrote:
I'm an anaesthetist in the uk and spend a lot of my time dealing with traumatic brain injury in a and e (good going head injuries requiring anaesthetic management) to reduce the impact of secondary brain injury. There is nothing I can do to help the bit of your brain that has been damaged in a head injury but I can try and reduce the impact of the significant rise in intracranial pressure that occurs through cerebral oedema, mass effect of blood, hypoxia, hypercarbia and reduction of cerebral metabolic rate. The bit that was injured initially is toast though. The only way to protect that is through primary prevention ie wearing helmets.

When faced with punters with a severe brain injury I can do something about it, but I'm in a hospital with drugs and tubes and a ventilator. Yes a helicopter can get you off the mountain or can get a critical care trained doctor to you relatively rapidly but not that rapidly, reducing secondary brain injury starts from the time that the primary injury has occurred and there is inevitably going to be a delay before that starts to happen.

Whilst I fully accept that moderate to severe head injuries are relatively rare they are life changing events, and not in a good way. A helmet may just reduce the impact on yours and your families life. And if I'm confronted with someone with a significant brain injury who had the potential to reduce its impact and didn't then I will feel less bad if it all goes horribly wrong for you. I wear a helmet for skiing and cycling, both on and off road. I have been grateful for it several times.

I would also counter the arguement that the skull is pretty solid and the jelly inside doesn't get damaged too much because it's soft and can absorb the impact / move. That's rubbish. Google coup and contre coup injury. Yes the skull is pretty solid but it has some pretty big blood vessels running underneath it that are quite fragile. I have seen several extra dural haematomas from relatively minor injuries, a punch to the side of the head causing a laceration of the middle meningeal artery in a man not much older than me being one.

Yes there may be some profit driven scaremongering about how often you should change your helmet but thats a side issue. I change my bike helmet every 3 years or after a smash. Probs not my ski helmet as often as it clearly doesn't get as much use.

Bert

Careful Bert - talking sense like that from a scientific perspective will get you nowhere in life.
snow report
BertIsfantastic wrote:

Bert

This will upset Comedy Goldsmith, who will probably demand to see your credentials.

No one should take any 'advice' on safety from Comedy Goldsmith as he has proved himself to be the font of all dangerous practices.
Quote:

Detection and rescue gear is optional, in my book. I doubt if I'll ever buy a transceiver, though they are very interesting devices... -- David Goldsmith 2005

---------------

If I disappear into an avalanche I might be trailing an avalanche cord. The rescue potential of the devices, which have apparently saved hundreds of lives, have never been properly compared with transceivers (to my knowledge)... -- David Goldsmith 2005

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-general?discussionID=9338#.Uk6KMxCN-Tw

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 4-10-13 10:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
PJSki, Snigger Snigger, We all know why Comedy Goldsmith started this, the need for attention and to seem relevant when he has longs since become irrelevant and out of touch.
snow report
Quote:

This will upset Comedy Goldsmith, who will probably demand to see your credentials

Yeah, prepare to be extensively Googled - He still thinks I'm some fat asian guy.
Monsignor Goldfarb is a tenacious terrier, but we love him for it. Shine on you crazy diamond!
snow report
PJSki, Very Happy
ski holidays
Fattes13 wrote:
PJSki, Snigger Snigger, We all know why Comedy Goldsmith started this, the need for attention and to seem relevant when he has longs since become irrelevant and out of touch.

Indeed. He keeps describing himself rather grandly as the former Equipment Editor to Ski & Board, yet, until 2005, it appears he had never even examined an avalanche transceiver.
ski holidays
Do we think the life of EPP and EPS are the same too? I cant say I have a burning desire to give Sweet £200 every three years really, if it gets damaged sure I will buy another. I guess if I want a Rooster at some stage or something else pretty like a new Trooper in a different colour okay but replace every three years for degradation of EPP that is a multi impact foam, not so sure.
latest report
PJSki/Gerry Aitken/Tim Brown/Pippin etc. [select one or more, on a pick 'n mix basis] ,

No I don't use a helmet, transceiver, shovel, probe, mobile phone, body armour, airbag ... or anything else I might have forgotten in the process of enjoying a day's sliding before killing myself.

The context of the quotes you've selected is, indeed, where you've linked it ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-general?discussionID=9338#.Uk6TTVNq3Ih

... and other catacombs of the SCGB.

The real point of this thread - opening post - was to draw attention to another ski writer quoting industry sources and highly dubious data to promote brain buckets. As I say, the best approach is to learn to ski with the minimum risk of falling or hitting trees and pylons.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, you totally disregard what BertIsfantastic says then?
latest report
No, I wear a cycle helmet
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, you're a Be Nice please! ignorant lady's front bottom.
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith, And you use automatic release bindings on your skis?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways, doesn't he make his own skis out of wood and then tie his feet to them using strips of bark and leather? Laughing
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, And you use automatic release bindings on your skis?

he can ski?
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, Of course not. There are two cords attached to the bindings which he pulls in the event of a crash Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Let's get the history straight here. Skiers began using helmets [see photo right]. Then, for 1000 years, they stopped using helmets.

Can someone explain the reason for this?

Then somebody issued a scary press release and two famous Americans died (hitting trees) and sales boomed.

ski holidays
From that ski club thread I linked to, this is Goldsmith's rational for not carrying any safety equipment while skiing off-piste:

Quote:

But you seem to be obliging any off-piste skier to be an equipped rescuer.

I don't go cycling around the streets of London carrying kit for cutting people out of cars (or medical equipment to help fellow cyclists who might have had an accident)

Mental case, if you ask me.
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
As I say, the best approach is to learn to ski with the minimum risk of falling or hitting trees and pylons.

I'm glad you have such control over how other piste users learn to ski or their other actions..

Is it telekinesis? Vulkan mind meld or some modern mass brainwashing technique that you use to ensure that noone might ever crash into you, or let go of a t-Bar behind you that cracks you on the head (as happened to me, and left me unconscious for 5 minutes)

Alas, I have no such control, and I'm only responsible for my own actions, so I'll wear a lid.
snow report
Quote:

Is it telekinesis? Vulkan mind meld or some modern mass brainwashing technique that you use to ensure that noone might ever crash into you, or let go of a t-Bar behind you that cracks you on the head (as happened to me, and left me unconscious for 5 minutes)

No, it's just his aftershave.
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Let's get the history straight here. Skiers began using helmets [see photo right]. Then, for 1000 years, they stopped using helmets.

Can someone explain the reason for this?

Every time they took them off, they pulled the skin off their ears?
snow conditions
feef wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
As I say, the best approach is to learn to ski with the minimum risk of falling or hitting trees and pylons.

I'm glad you have such control over how other piste users learn to ski or their other actions..

Alas, I have no such control, and I'm only responsible for my own actions, so I'll wear a lid.

Same here. I was once knocked over by an out of control border and smacked the back of my head on the hard piste. I was glad of the lid that day.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 4-10-13 12:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
If you read the article Hyst links to you will see why you should do the following:

Control your speed in particular when close to other skier's, pylons, trees.
Don't bite of more than you can chew in terms of skiing near rocks, trees and in the park.
Limit the risk of you being hit by another skier by stopping in sensible places.
Always concentrate when entering and exiting lifts.

If you do all that then you will vastly reduce the already very small chance of sustaining an head injury - or indeed any injury.

Now, if people want to wear an helmet that is fine but let us not overstate the significance.

And please no more... since I've worn one it's saved me several times nonsense. Either you are skiing significantly differently to how you were before or you are trying to justify your decision. It should be a rare (probably never) event that your helmet is of significance, as the stats tell us.

BertIsfantastic, you added nothing. We all know that hitting your head against something really hard is dangerous and potentially damaging. The debate is purely about level of risk and when and where helmets become significant.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:

BertIsfantastic, you added nothing. We all know that hitting your head against something really hard is dangerous and potentially damaging. The debate is purely about level of risk and when and where helmets become significant.

Rubbish. Since when was risk reduction/management not part of the debate?
latest report
Layne wrote:
The debate is purely about level of risk

Which is utterly unknowable - unless you have some method of seeing into the future, and thus knowing that the 16 stone bloke 50 metres up the slope has just decided he can schuss the next bit, is a squaddie on his third day of skiing, is fresh out of the bar with half a dozen grandes pressions and jagermeister chasers inside him, and is trying to impress some random French bird/his fellow squaddies with his Alberto Tomba impression.

Layne (on Bert's behalf), you added nothing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy