Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

That ol' favourite - half term somewhere that doesn't = selling a kidney

Poster: A snowHead
Have you considered Jasna in Slovakia? Definitely better than most other Eastern Europen resorts.

It used to a a trek to get there involving a 4h train journey, but you can now fly to Krakow and get there in 2h by shuttle.

A couple of chalets are run by Brits (Chalet Slovakis & Propaganda are two that spring to mind). Both include daily transport to the resort as part of the tariff. You want to do that, rather than stay in the resort as Liptovsky Mikulas is cheap in terms of food & drink (good beer < €1).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boris, I meant no offence snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For anyone still reading, think we are going to drive Shocked. Possibly. It's just so much cheaper. I don't think we would have it in us to do an overnight so going to do it leisurely by going out on friday night after school, and carrying on the next day. Kids will hate us but we'll bribe them with vast quantities of sweets.

Flights a blimmin nightmare, everything so expensive - I will not pay £400 per person for ryanair flight without even a luggage allowance - madness!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh interesting you mentioned Jasna, I was looking at that the other night, looks quite good. The companies that do the chalet all seem to be booked up, but deffo one to bear in mind for the future.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

going to do it leisurely by going out on friday night after school, and carrying on the next day

give a bit of thought to timing, and where to stop (you'll need to book as farsands of people will be doing the same thing). There are a number of useful threads suggesting different ways of doing it, but the key thing is to try to avoid arriving in resort before about 6 pm. And when you leave, if you don't want to go at sparrows, leave it till after a nice long quiet changeover day on the slopes. Drive a couple of hours then stop for the night, finishing the journey home on Sunday. Do you have a DVD player for the kids?

The worst timing is to press on very late and bad-tempered into Friday night/Saturday morning, stop about 3 hours from resort, have just a short night's sleep then leave your hotel about 7 -8 am to spend much of the rest of the day in heavy traffic. Worst of both worlds.

Friday night across the Channel is chaos and you'll lose an hour even if there are no other holdups. Make that a short drive, get a good night's sleep and give up any thoughts of "beating the traffic" down to the Alps. You can really only do that by driving overnight and arriving in resort really early (and probably not getting keys to your accommodation till 4 pm).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks v much Pam W.... eeek, that sounds slightly scary. Does all that hold true for driving through Germany as well?? We are thinking of driving to western Austria.

We thought we might drive as far as we can get by about 11 pm on Friday, have a decent snooze, set off next day, drive for around 3-4 hours, stop for a good 2-3 hours to tire the kids out (municipal pool or something...), start up again, and arrive resort sometime earlyish evening. We'd be driving back over sat/sun 22 Feb, no way round that really owing to school holidays. Does that sound daft? Sounds broadly what you're recommending, or did I misunderstand?

Thanks for the info - very helpful. We have DVDs for kids, yes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll look through the forums to find out how other people have done it...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Does all that hold true for driving through Germany as well?? We are thinking of driving to western Austria.

No, sorry, that was all about France! Samerberg Sue is the forum expert on driving to Austria but there are others who do it quite frequently too and could advise. I can't find any up to date threads about driving to Austria at half term but you won't be the only one wondering - I'd be inclined to start a new thread on just that subject.

You will need winter tyres.

There just isn't any easy way of doing skiing at half term. Sad My daughter and son in law (teachers) can't face it and have just booked flights for the April holidays.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Previous years we have just taken daughter out of school but we can't now, they've changed the rules. Bah.
I am fundamentally opposed to skiing at Easter. Hate the sloppiness and always seem to have falls, but that's probably just because I'm a rubbish skier.

We thought about the winter tyres thing, we will buy some as probably we'll use them in future years.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
robertsnerys, take your kids out of school and take the fine. It will save you money and hassle, and mean you have a better holiday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

take your kids out

or just take your kidney out (maybe just the one.....)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Driving to Western Austria shouldn't be too bad. Munich and the roads south from there are usually the worst traffic wise, and you won't be going that far.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
worst part of driving to the alps is getting through the UK and past London to the channel. France is a doddle. Good option, you have already done half the journey living in London! Also Samburg Sue suggested Radstadt. Well just up the road is Obertauern. Have a look at the Glocknerin, with a great pool and very reasonable byFrench costs. A bit further to drive though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fly to any Milan airport. Usually some cheap flight options available although you have left it a bit late and then drive to Antognod near Champoluc. Beautiful old village with some very reasonably priced accommodation and nice bars and restaurants. The local Antognod pistes are perfect for young children & 4km away you have ski monterosa which is extensive and amazing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Have you considered Jasna in Slovakia? Definitely better than most other Eastern Europen resorts.

+1. Only an hour transfer from Poprad, three hours from Bratislava /Vienna. Plenty of trees and good freeride areas (if the cloud is not too low)
snow report
beequin wrote:
Quote:

+1. Only an hour transfer from Poprad, three hours from Bratislava /Vienna. Plenty of trees and good freeride areas (if the cloud is not too low)

Poprad flights are non-existant. Closest are the now-abundant number of Sunday flights to/from Krakow. 2h transfer by pre-arranged minibus.
ski holidays
Quote:

worst part of driving to the alps is getting through the UK and past London to the channel

Seconded

We have taken to going late Thursday night after rush hour and booking in somewhere close to Chunnel - not too pricey if booked in advance as can normally get £19 room with Premier Inn
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy