Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car vs flight for 1/2 term

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Frosty the Snowman, did you look at the link? The figures I quoted are per passenger mile based on average load factors and were quoted in Parliament by the last government.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, True if the bus is full, but according to the link, the average number of passengers per bus is only 9. So 3x the fuel but only 2x the passengers.

They have closed one park and ride near here as the average bus loading was less than 3 passengers per trip.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For us, the clincher is food - Going to Switzerland, we take EVERYTHING bar bread and booze with us (I know its technically illegal, but ive been checked by Swiss customs in the past no problem)
For a family of 4, I reckon we save about £250 per week self catering compared with buying locally.
I hate to imagine what the cost would be if we ate out every day / night!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

and please - admin - what about a spellcheck system for us forgeiners?

spellcheck is usually a feature of the browser rather than forum (chrome has in-built spellchecker, firefox too iirc, don't know about IE)

for self catering, convenience starts to swing towards the car anyway. It's not just total cost of a trip, unless you're really trying to save every single last penny. Convenience of a car has a value, regardless of whether you take the kitchen with you, or go shopping in it in resort or in the last supermarket before heading up the valley (and getting cheaper fuel there too).

I wouldn't compare self-catering to eating out every night, but compare it to half board. Again, may be a little more cost, but another convenience with value.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
meribel46 wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I'm just looking forward to no luggage restrictions & no airport security queue

And if you avoid busy holiday times you should also be able to look forward to no queues and delays at the Channel. And possibly no queues at the péage gates and no hours driving behind a snow plough at 30 mph along the autoroute.

Only kidding - I'm sure you'll enjoy the drive, but a Land Rover is not, of course, the perfect vehicle, given the enormous fuel consumption. You don't need 4WD, just front wheel drive and 4 good winter tyres. wink

In Meribel this year the Citroen hire car (on winter tyres) our friends had couldn't get out of the drive of the chalet we were in, neither could the French chalet staff in the winter tyred FWD Seat but the 4WD Mazda Bongo campervan that was with us sailed up the drive Toofy Grin We have the Land Rover for other reasons & I'm we certainly wouldn't fit skis in our other car! It'll average around 30mpg on a long run so not the worst fuel consuption ever wink

But as you say we'll love the drive-its an adventure & where better to have an adventure but the Alps in winter Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

Good luck. I'm taking my Defender to the Alps for the season this year! I posted a thread about winterising, and have asked for snow tyre advice elsewhere in the forum.

Have to say I'm not looking forward to the drive down. I love Land Rovers, but they are not great motorway vehicles - even modified to be civilised, as mine has.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have not considered Hull ferries, from Whitby, Hull is not as quick as you might expect to get to, The price is too high compared to tunnel on Tesco vouchers. We also did Newhaven - Dieppe once but nearly missed the ferry out due to traffic and on the way back we allowed far too much time and arrived 4 hrs before the next ferry, tunnel or Dover ferry, you would simply get on an earlier ferry, I would see the same problem with Hull ferries. Its only 3 hours further to the tunnel.

We have had the S-max from new and intend to drive it into the ground, hopefully get 200k+ miles out of it, the 2000 mile round trip will actually put very little wear and tear on the car compared to 2000 miles normal use in the uk.

I would not consider the drive if I was the only driver though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Harry Flashman, I am not taking mine!!! Wife's soft roader will have to do.
The idea of driving to the alps in a defender makes me shudder, but your looks pretty smart.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy