Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best option for car hire from GVA?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Need to book some car rentals from Geneva for the coming winter. The discount code I used to use with Holiday Autos (Virgin One account) is no longer available, and I'm not quite sure what the status of Holiday Autos itself is. Any suggestions for a rental company or a broker service for reasonable price car hire at GVA?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, as far as I can tell HA is still going, we recently booked with them for the US. That discount code was linked to a HA trade offshoot I think as last time we tried to use the code the message was something along the lines of 'HA trade is no more.' The best we've managed since is booking with one of the ones listed on Quidco for a sometimes quite generous cash back amount. HA is on there at the moment with 15% and there are a few other known names too.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, we found Sixt car rental very good value. In summer we got it from the French side, and in Feb we went from Swiss side as it comes with snow tires which on the alfa guiletta we had was more than enough to cope even with the awesome snow conditions we had. The insurance for 3rd party is also included in the price which for enterprise (whose prices look a little better) isnt. We also blagged a free upgrade in summer from a mini clubman up to a BMW 1 series M Sport diesel - very handy considering the 2300kms round trip to a wedding in Italy!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, I'ved used rentalcars.com who will often try and beat their online prices via the phone. They're Manchester based so no dodgy call centres that don't know how to spell Europe. rolling eyes

really pleased with the prices and the service.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Out of the French side of course.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AutoEurope are very good, they source the best deal for you from all the car rental companies at Geneva Airport, really simple and straight forward. Recently used them as the Swiss car was in the garage, paid for the smallest car they had to offer and got a really good Golf Plus intead from Avis...a real bonus.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hard to compare prices - because "extras" (e.g. additional drivers) can vary in price. Last time I checked (for a few days in November) there wasn't much difference between Swiss and French side. My brother in law thought he'd found a good deal on the Swiss side but extras included a very expensive additional driver AND big winterisation supplement. Yes, they have snow tyres as standard but yes, they sometimes make you pay winterisation as an extra, and you can argue till you are blue in the face but you won't get the keys till you cough up. There have been a couple of irate reports about this on Snowheads over recent years. If the weather is looking OK and you are handy with a set of chains, it's certainly worth looking at the French side if the price is right.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Holiday Autos has been bought by CarTrawler who run their own booking system.

http://www.cartrawler.com/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
altis, that's useful to know, thanks.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't find the brokers are that much cheaper than renting direct from Hertz (where possession of Amex or Mastercard usually gets you 10-15% off the rack rate - always do it on the phone rather than on the internet!). In addition, if you get Hertz gold membership (free and open to all) then there's a separate desk at GVA where you wave your gold card and they hand you the keys. In my experience they don't bother to check the car much when you hand it back when you're a gold member. They also tend to upgrade you to a much better car if there's anything available, so it can end up cheaper (I generally just book compact cars now and see what I get - in the US I tend to have to ask them to downgrade me again as I don't want a vast gas-guzzling 4x4!).

On a busy weekend at Geneva, the price vs service tradeoff (if any) is well worth it to me. If there are any problems its also much easier to get things sorted.

If you ever rent in the US, its fantastic. You just walk up to a row of cars, pick whichever one you want (keys in ignition) and drive out, with the details scanned at the exit and your drivers licence checked. I wish we could do this in Europe.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't find the brokers are that much cheaper than renting direct from Hertz (where possession of Amex or Mastercard usually gets you 10-15% off the rack rate - always do it on the phone rather than on the internet!). In addition, if you get Hertz gold membership (free and open to all) then there's a separate desk at GVA where you wave your gold card and they hand you the keys. In my experience they don't bother to check the car much when you hand it back when you're a gold member. They also tend to upgrade you to a much better car if there's anything available, so it can end up cheaper (I generally just book compact cars now and see what I get - in the US I tend to have to ask them to downgrade me again as I don't want a vast gas-guzzling 4x4!).

On a busy weekend at Geneva, the price vs service tradeoff (if any) is well worth it to me. If there are any problems its also much easier to get things sorted.

If you ever rent in the US, its fantastic. You just walk up to a row of cars, pick whichever one you want (keys in ignition) and drive out, with the details scanned at the exit and your drivers licence checked. I wish we could do this in Europe.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, Try www.carrentals.co.uk ,a very useful comparison site.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have membership with Hertz, Avis and Europcar and found that there is very little difference (in prices) between Avis, Budget & Europcar. For similar class of vehicles, the most expensive car hire is Hertz.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Currently, I'm looking at car hire from GVA in February. After some trawling around the wesites I've noticed that some are the same:

http://www.rentalcars.com/
is the same as
http://www.carhire3000.com/
and
http://www.jet2carhire.com/

and

https://www.holidayautos.com/
is the same as
https://www.arguscarhire.com/
and are both part of cartrawler.

However, the best I've found so far is:
http://www.skyscanner.net/carhire/

Edit: bloody auto-ad! Just cut n paste instead

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 29-11-13 18:02; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, only advice I can give is to avoid the firm that your airline recommends. Otherwise, every other bu**er on your flight ends up in the same queue.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy