Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Major Roadworks for the next 3 years on A8 Munich to Rosenheim

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Markmcn, not this section unless you take a wrong turn near Munich. I suggest you familiarise yourself with the route as it is not straightforward to transition from the A99 to the A95. Best advice is to follow the signs for Garmisch very carefully.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should not be Markman, as you are heading south I think you will be heading west of Monich not East. Should be ok, but the latest is that everyone should be anyhow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good info, Samerberg Sue. Thanks. Will rely on TomTom Live in about 10 days time Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have to say this summer I drove from eastern Switzerland via Landeck into Germany via Garmisch up to Ulm and then past Stuttgart and onto Karlsruhe expecting the motorway network(as it's Germany) to be excellent. My goodness I was wrong !

I haven't been in traffic jams on the continent like that since trying to get to Val d'Isere at the start of half-term / French holidays.

About 30 years ago I worked in Ehingen (between Ulm and Stuttgart) and from what I remember it seems like the motorway system hasn't changed much since then. It was adequate then but it certainly isn't now and to top it all they seem to be upgrading the whole thing at once so you end up with a system that doesn't really cope too anyway being subjected to wholescale disruption !

Maybe in the north it's very different but it was a nasty shock indeed.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dsoutar, The summer months are a nightmare for us locals as well and we have to commute along these routes on a daily basis! Not only do we have to contend with waves of tourists pouring down from the northern and north-western realms with the caravans etc, we also have to repair and improve the same roads! In winter it is impossible to continue with this work as it s too cold. So they start the minute the Easter holidays are finished. The short term stuff they aim to have done by the time the Whitsun holidays start (frost damage repairs, re-surfacing, replacing crash barriers that sort of thing). The major stuff waits until after the Whitsun period (it is a major 2 week holiday in some parts so traffic is heavy), then they start closing down sections and using contraflow systems &/or narrowed lanes to allow the traffic to flow (most of the time) while they do the major works. A recent survey of all the motorway and major road bridges showed that a very high percentage need urgent work done to them and this has been going on on a rolling basis for about 3 years now. In my neck of the woods, we have 3 of Europe's most important trans-European route-ways - the A7, A8 and the A93. All of these roads are in desperate need of widening and general upgrading to meet the demands put upon them. All have undergone and are continuing to undergo major repairs and rebuilding. The A93 from Kiefersfelden north to the Inntal Dreieck junction (with the A8 ) has been almost completely rebuilt (not just resurfaced) in the past 3 to 4 summers. The last section (From Reischenhart to the A8/A93 junction) will be completed, we hope, this summer. The A7 is being upgraded on a rolling basis, but will remain a four lane motorway for most of its journey right through the middle of Germany (it is Germany's longest continuous motorway going from Füssen in the south to Hamburg in the north). The bridges along the lower sections of the A95 (Garmisch to Munich) also had to undergo major engineering works this summer. There were and always are alternative routes suggested which allow you not only to avoid major bottlenecks you also get to see a lot more of the countryside.

The whole scale disruption you are talking about means you suffered from bad timing and perhaps also poor planning! Did you expect the motorways to be as free as they were 30 years ago before Geran reunification and the fall of the Iron curtains then? wink We have to live with this all summer and have got used to planning any important journeys more carefully as much as possible. But even then when accidents do occur, there is little or nothing we can do about it either!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue, Just get a motorbike and ignore the rules on filtering Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Samberg Sue,

I would appreciate any latest information, as my drive early on Saturday 7th approaches. Looks from the website that all is clear south on Munich towards Salzburg. Is this borne out in reality?

Thanks in anticipation
Tony
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Twoodwar, we did trip back n December and did it on a Friday and had no problem it took us 1 hour 45 to get to our destination, however, did the same journey last year on a Saturday morning, early February and same trip took us 7 hours. My tip head off as early as possible, most of the Dutch drive over nIght
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
twoodwar, we had a clear trip each way last week but it is a quiet week
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
twoodwar, Yes to there being no major roadworks. There are the long term bridge works at Bergen that cause some tailbacks. That is 2 junctions (but only about 5kms) from the Siegsdorf turnoff which you take for Lofer, Maria Alm, Saalbach and Zell am See if you want to avoid buying a motorway vignette.

Other than that just a few so called "Tagesbaustelle" popping up -these are temporary ones or sometimes mobile ones usually clearing up the debris that accumulates. I got caught in one today but luckily only the tail end, so not much delay. What cannot be factored in are the accidents of course. With the volume of traffic along this axis on a changeover day, the small shunts can have a disproportionate hold up effect!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Many thanks Samburg Sue, 2waterford,and holidayloverxx. Will be leaving Munich at 6.30am, intending to get to Obertauern by 9.30am. Should miss most traffic with luck.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy