Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What size skis should a heavy bloke go for

Poster: A snowHead
The time has come that I need to man up and replace my old skis - I'm 117kg/6ft and the K2 Motos I bought (probably wrongly in hindsight) 7 years ago really have to go. One thing I know for sure that a major reason I struggle off piste and on blacks is that they are 167s with sixty-something waists. They do turn in about an 8 metre radius tho! I couldn't be bothered to pay to fly with them last year and hired an appalling quality pair of old twin tips, but they were a load better than my skis.

I've got 25-30 weeks experience and am happy to take most blacks if pushed. My mates mostly stay on the reds and blues so I dont get pushed but I want something that I can play off piste and on piste with easily and maybe a bit of park stuff, and that are big enough for me. I'm not good enough to do couloirs, thats for sure!

I'm currently looking at all mountain skis (sub 100mm) - the Rossi 88s , Blizzard Bonafide (9Cool or Blizzard Bushwackers (I think its those are the 88 ones), all at lengths of 180+

Any recommendations? Should I be going for 98s if I'm on piste so much, or is that better at my weight? SHould I go for 180, or longer (188?) or will they just become like rails on piste?

Thx!

--Chris
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interestingly I'm just about to sell a pair of Line Prophet 100s in a 185 that I bought as a 1 ski does everything ski, precisely because I'm too light for them. Bought something much floppier to replace them.

I'm 6 foot 3 and sub 70kg. They'd probably suit you down to the ground. I certainly didn't find the width anything of a handicap, it was the stiffness that troubled me.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bonafides are nice skis and at your size go for the longest length in whatever you buy - the short ski fashion was always overdone. Yes 165cm makes sense for tight slalom courses but for a grown man doing real world skiing not so much.

Modern mid fat skis have sidecuts and rocker profiles that enable them to be skied quite effectively on hardpack and then come into their own when conditions soften up or are variable (remember a piste definitely isn't always perfect corduroy particularly in spring). Certain designs of which the Blizzard is one in my experience are also very chuckable (i.e you can turn them rotationally in much more confined spaces than the length might suggest). I don't know why everyone (once they've got the appropriate skill set) isn't on them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
zuzzy, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Can't recommend any skis, though I am 5'4 and 62 kgs and ski on 163 length skis, so they do sound pretty small for you.

I can see the problem for off-piste but can't quite see why they should give you more problems on black runs than on red. I would expect them to be a bit unstable at speed, but you are presumably going a bit slower on blacks? And on moguls the short length would help? wink

Maybe on your next trip you should hire some skis from a good shop, and maybe swap a few times during the week, taking advice from the shop? That would give you a chance to find out what you really like.

And maybe treat yourself to a private lesson if you still find the blacks a bit much? wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
some good reviews here.

http://freeskier.com/gear/products/category/all-mountain-skis/page/3
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zuzzy, looks like Dot didn't want to pimp his own product so I will for him: Whitedot Preacher 189.

Bit wider underfoot than you requested but you'll need that with your build in soft stuff. Great on piste on everything excluding true ice.

If you want to stay sub 100mm then a long length Volkl Mantra pretty much does it all.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 3-10-13 11:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all

Pam_w - you get a surprising amount of intertia at my weight and when it gets steep there is a point that I just get understeer! Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon wrote:
Zuzzy, looks like Dot didn't want to pimp his own product so I will for him: Whitedot Preacher 189.

Bit wider underfoot than you requested but you'll need that with your build in soft stuff. Great on piste on everything excluding true ice.

This. Although I am biased, as we have three pairs in our house.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Reading reviews on here about the Preachers (like the one by skier from Argentina) Thy make Dot sound like the messiah - very impressed. Very tempted!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zuzzy, I am probably heavier than you and have been using the Rossi 88's (186) for a couple of seasons now. I really enjoy them especially when skiing hard as they are much more responsive. I do not really ski off piste but they cope well with knee deep, crud and slush. They are bloody heavy to carry and mine are fitted with NEOX bindings so that probably does not help but when I'm clipped in they do not feel it. I too worry about understeer and control due to my momentum but find these ski's give me what I want/need. I do wonder how they would be for me properly off piste and suspect that I would go for a wider ski as recommended above if that was my thing. I had tried these skis before buying and did try the 83's, the deciding factor was the price as I got them for just over £300 (flat), but that was two season ago as I said.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Understeer is a technique problem surely? Unless you're on something like a kid's ski which clearly isn't built to take an adult.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon wrote:

If you want to stay sub 100mm then a long length Volkl Mantra pretty much does it all.

+1, I'm similar height to Pam W but 66 kg and love my Preacher 169s; brilliant on and off piste. Go for the 189s
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob wrote:
Understeer is a technique problem surely? Unless you're on something like a kid's ski which clearly isn't built to take an adult.

I think the Moto was made in longer lengths than 167cm so the OP may be a bit too heavy for them.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Understeer is a technique problem surely?

That's what I thought too. The OP is certainly a bit heavy for his skis but they shouldn't be running away with him down steep slopes, even so. Plenty of heavy people can control snowblades down black slopes, after all!
snow conditions
Wow! So a 112mm waisted ski is the most suitable one ski quiver for an advanced intermediate who spends 90% of his time on red and blue pistes and has to be pushed to ski a black. Who'd have thought?

Makes you wonder why they make anything else rolling eyes
ski holidays
zuzzy, preference is to try before you buy. With careful research you can take a punt. But accept that you could end up on a ski that simply doesn't suit.
snow report
Is it not not so much how long or wide but how stiff?.
snow conditions
Yeah I can manage the 167s, I'm exaggerating a bit that they run away from me, I think I'm persuading myself how much I don't like them to justify spending money.

Would love to try before I buy but the only place even faintly near to me is Hemel snowdome and for a 30 second long slope I can't be bothered to queue up the M25 (no disrespect to Hemel, I'm just too far away)
snow conditions
Raceplate wrote:

Makes you wonder why they make anything else rolling eyes

Quite - once the lycraboyz & BASOIDs get with the programme then the world will be a lot simpler wink

Despite the Preacher being a fine ski I'm not sure, at least in the stiffest flexing longest lengths, it's a solution for the OP. It's quite a demanding ski, in a nice way, and not everyone skis in that way. We're back at the age old problem of diagnosing someone's real skill level and aspiration from a few words posted on tinternet. The simple answer is get a recommendation of a shortlist from your coach or instructor (allowing for any intrinsic biases or brand affiliations).

Otherwise we can answer kit questions with a standard "it's not the kit , it's your skills - take a lesson" which might be right the great majority of the time (and is almost never a terrible idea) or we can provide some pointers as to perspectives on what might be fun for the OP to take into account with his/her true assessment of his/her ability level. My perspective from an indoor test as a heavy guy is I found the Bonafide to be a fun versatile ski even though I suspect the demo wasn't max length. For what I read the OP's requirements as - something to dabble in on lower gradient mixed terrain including off the sides of the piste yet wouldn't let him down on the odd black I'd say it meets spec - if you have true red run competence
snow report
zuzzy, try in resort. They'll normally let you try a few over a couple of days. If you buy you don't pay the rental. Or head up to the planned SH ski test at Milton Keynes - Sat 9th November.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=102177&start=160
snow report
zuzzy, I'm a similar size to yourself. The Preacher is a great ski BUT is is biased toward the back country so I'd only head towards it if you think you'd be spending 40-50% of your time in the back/side country

Ignore widths. Modern ski designs allow for fatter skis to feel like they are narrower and rocker allows narrower skis to float better. Remember all-mountain is not a set width but rather means skis that should ski "all" the mountain. All "all mountain" skis have a bias towards something. The Preacher is an All Mountain ski with a BC bias. See http://freeskier.com/gear/products/whitedot-preacher-ski-2014

Best advice is to demo. Get your self onto a Snowheads bash and try skis. There are normally ski tests at the bash's or most retailers have demo skis or access to demo skis.
Movement are also at many bashes and have some stiffer AM skis in their range.

Good luck and remember, buy what makes you happy and not what others tell you what to ski.
snow conditions
Dot. wrote:

Good luck and remember, buy what makes you happy and not what others tell you what to ski.

Best advice.
ski holidays
zuzzy,
Quote:
If you want to stay sub 100mm then a long length Volkl Mantra pretty much does it all
Wot he said. Great ski.
snow report
Thanks all - so currently the Rossi 88s, Preacher, Mantra or Bonafides are on the table. I'd like to think that in the time I have these ill be fitter, out more often and with friends who will do more bc (who doesn't hope that!) and it sounds like all of these would do what I want, from the 88s if majority on piste to the Preachers if majority BC

I'd love to come up to MK but I have a feeling I'm abroad on business Sad
ski holidays
I would stay under 90mm underfoot for your described skiing, So maybe Bushwackers over Bonafides and Kendos over Mantras
snow report
Completely agree with lynseyf re dimensions underfoot if the majority of your skiing is on the piste.

Tested the Kendo last year and was massively impressed with the performance on and off piste for a ski that goes anywhere and does anything.
snow report
+1 for the Volkl Kendo, it's a sweet go anywhere ski.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Line Prophet 98 Very Happy
latest report
I'd say these are worth a try. http://www.winter-sports.com/EN/Skitests/skitestsmodeles.php?season=2013&id=223

In fact I just put my money where my mouth is and bought a pair myself. I'm 5,11 and 14stone and these are incredibly stable and controllable. My old Salomon Streetracers were the exact opposite.
snow conditions
zuzzy, ever thought of some Scott Stunt skis in 196cms? 2012 graphics.
These bad boys are long, wide, and made for the XXL skier.

Don't worry about the length................ Rocker-Venturi tip takes 15 cms off effective lenth!! These crud-killers ski sooooo much shorter.

I got a demo pair with Sally Speed 14's used for less than a day for a photo-shoot.

£250 delivered.

Alternatively a pair of Storm Devastators 184 cms (2011/12) comes with Vist 614's, again used for a photo-shoot, less than a day's actual ski-use.

Another bargain at £250 delivered.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone - in the end I went for the Bushwackers at 88 - partly because I'm now spending most of my time on snow in '14 with people who won't be off piste much (which wasnt the case when I started this thread - group bookings are a nightmare!) and thus I can now justify to myself some >100s in '15 and partly because rocnoir had some '13 season Bushwackers left which were cheaper than buying new '14 graphics. And partly because Steven at rocnoir was a half hour drive away and offered to mount bindings onto them for me.

That said, dropping by may have been a mistake as he has a room of very nice skis and I found myself looking at a pair of preachers...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy