Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daughter doing season - what should she take?

Poster: A snowHead
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't bother with this unless you only plan to call local numbers (and I can't see too many reasons why you'd need to do this without it being wrok related).

Texting all your mates in resort who also have local SIM cards? That's what people usually use them for.

Not necessary. Use the wifi in the hotel/chalet and use whatsapp or facebook. Ridiculously easy to keep in touch with other seasonnaires online rather than using phones.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thedrewski wrote:
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't bother with this unless you only plan to call local numbers (and I can't see too many reasons why you'd need to do this without it being wrok related).

Texting all your mates in resort who also have local SIM cards? That's what people usually use them for.

Not necessary. Use the wifi in the hotel/chalet and use whatsapp or facebook. Ridiculously easy to keep in touch with other seasonnaires online rather than using phones.

Doesn't work on the hill. Unless you're abusing your mobile internet.

If you're texting/calling people in the UK more than people in resort you're doing something wrong... More convenient and cheaper to do it the other way around and just Skype people at home.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Doesn't work on the hill.

This. 'Call me when you get to midstation' is the most common way of meeting on the hill when you all finish at different times/start from opposite ends of resort. Besides which, not all ski accommodation has wifi even these days.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Avi gear advice was mainly on the strength of last season, where my gf went from 2 week skier to getting into off piste by March. As were the 3 other girls she started the season skiing with. As it happens she could borrow gear when she needed it, (mainly from me when I broke myself) but otherwise would have been buying it.

I think in general the amount of time skiing before people are getting into off piste is decreasing all the time, as the equipment is making it easier. I think that the average is now probably less than a full season.

And as this was a father asking what to get his daughter, I think he will know whether she's going to be skiing or drinking her way through the season, if the former avi gear is far from a bad idea.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Besides which, not all ski accommodation has wifi even these days

A surprising number of chairlifts and gondolas do now though (esp. in the mega resorts - edit: and those with their own fondlephone apps). Even worse... someone even put foursquare locations in for them too.

Use SMS all the time for ski/beer (etc.) rendezvous.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Even Swisscom are now offering packages whereby calls to "EU" phones, fixed or mobile are in an allowance. So roaming charges should become not a worry. She might want a local SIM as they tend now to allow unlimited local calls, or at least to a select group of numbers.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks again all.

i am a very keen offpiste skier with transceiver, bag etc - she has skied since a she was 4 year old and is doing instructor course (to BASI 2 - i know the pros and cons). It is a super long season (beginning on 30 November and ending towards end of APril so she is bound to offpiste it at times so yes will probably get her before going out - good to have for sure.

most/many of your comments are spot on so a big thank you.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A uk extension lead and a screwdriver to put a french/swiss/italian plug on the end.

I take this every time we go abroad to charge the whole host of gadgets that our family takes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chrisJersey, who is she working for?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
homers double wrote:
A uk extension lead and a screwdriver to put a french/swiss/italian plug on the end.

I take this every time we go abroad to charge the whole host of gadgets that our family takes.

Good tip.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK I will supply the answer the OP wanted

Her Dad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:

The following items should NOT go in the bag:
- stilettos
- UGG boots

Big fat kitbags available in many colours courtesy of Helly Hansen at half the price of TNF and just as good quality from what I see of mine. Get 'em here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Helly-Hansen-Duffel-Bag-Orange/dp/B00322Q7WS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380290366&sr=8-1&keywords=helly+hansen+bags&tag=amz07b-21 Way better than a suitcase..

Good shout, I' totally having one of them.

Disagree with your Ugg boots thing though - I have a pair of £10 Primark knock off ones which act as my slippers, I'm wearing them as I type and they're defo coming with me on my season!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fergus, as slippers, they are legit (though they occupy too much bag space, to my mind). NEVER be seen in them out of doors. Quite apart from anything else, you'll get wet feet. Laughing

Where are you working?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Exclusively 'loungewear' wink And I'm heading to Chamchamchamonix baby!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fergus, same here, my Primark "slippers" are my choice of footwear for heading down to brekkie in the hotel. Toasty warm...wouldn't wear them or indeed proper Ugg boots outside though, can't see that they can keep your feet particularly dry given the squishiness of them.
snow conditions
So my fleece, Batman 'onsie' is not rec'd?
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
So my fleece, Batman 'onsie' is not rec'd?

Totally is, why would you even question it Shocked
snow conditions
chrisJersey wrote:
thanks all - very helpful.

presumably fathers of any age/skiing ability showing up is a No No. i will just have to live vicariously through the single phone call home (to her mother) she will probably make!

You'd be surprised !! My step-daughter (I'm the step-dad) has done 2 seasons and is about to do her third and we've visited her for a week on on both (first one we went at Christmas and last year we went at Easter) and I've always had a big hug on arrival and this is a girl who can still behave like Kevin & Perry at times. We went skiing with her a few times and eating / boozing quite a few evenings.

I'm sure that the fact we arrived bearing gifts and also provided decent meals / bought drinks had nothing to do with it Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy