Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Powder Week - 2014 (machbarkeitsstudie)

Poster: A snowHead
Alright you badass British pow shredders! time to test the waters!

If I were to organise a week in a chalet in the Arlberg with the main goal to bring together a group of reasonable/decent/poo-poo but well equipped skiers looking to explore the back/side country and also consume a few fermented vegetable drinks when the sun goes down... who might be keen?

Before I start there are two big differences between this and the real (and far superior) snowhead trips:

1- I will not be a tour-guide, I organised a trip for 15 people last season and ended up holding peoples hands for a week (never again)!! You get yourselves there, kit yourselves out, get your own passes and if you wanna do something different go do it....

2- It'd be an off-piste week, you gotta be able to get down the hill, have a beacon and want to explore.. none of this, sorry buddy I'm gonna keep the insignificant other company for the week while they discover the joys of T-bars.

Dates might hover around the end of january, many snows fewer monies. I will probably be able to scrape together at least 5 of my friends who would be keen so I will just do it anyway but thought I'd find out if anyone else was keen!!

Please just let me know if you might be interested

Matt

p.s. Fair warning none of my friends are Rtarded meat-heads who think that anyone not willing to backflip that cliff is a pu$$y... If you are looking for a bunch of shred-head kids desperate to drink their body weight in 2 euro vodka and pretend they are gonna be the next Seth Morrison, may I suggest you try Gasthof Zillertal, Mayrhofen...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good plan.

I am interested, but I'd REALLY need to fill up the brownie point bag due to other plans.

I think I fill the "shoite but well equiped" criteria very well Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dulcamara,

I'm more than interested.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interested for sure, but would probably head over from IBK a couple of days that week rather than stay in the chalet (unless it was seriously cheap). Will most likely be in Japan 17 Jan to 2 Feb mind, so could only join if it was either side of that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interested - if I don't somehow pull off a mini season. Alternately I'd be almost cert for a 4 day weekend fri-mon.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Matt, you will be there, sort it out, Marc flowers and breakfast in bed, bob half season in arlberg! DB I've always been interested to see your skills! Done..

Lots of interest from mates and gonna ask the boss next Thursday, he went to school with most of the hotel and chalet owners so maybe we can score a decent roof!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dulcamara, are you thinking with or without a guide??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If there's a cheap guide with, if not I can lead a little and a couple of lads from tgr might be there, I think some people went for a play with jrainey at some point he knows the area pretty well and I know a few mountain guides who hopefully will be happy to join us for a couple of days... All only possibilities At the moment
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, we're their mid Jan (you away) for a week, then back for a 2 week Warth/ St Anton double header 8-22.03.14, hope you're about for some pow and tours!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Might potentially be up for a meat and off piste venture, if you accept snowboarders as I don't think my skiing will be up to scratch by that point of the season. Am gonna be in Anton for the season anyway, just depends n work commitments as to what days/times I'm free.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markymark29, I'll be about mate!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Matt...would be most interested! Please keep me posted. Will PM you too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll need to work on the brownie points and the finances (about to move house) but I'm definitely interested. Might have to be with fatbob on the long weekend idea but it's a cracking idea. Obviously I will assume anyone NOT hucking 20fters is a complete pu$$y ....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dulcamara, myself and pal (and OH's) will be there 18-26 January 14 for a week of shredding, all booked Lufthansa via Munich and accom all sorted.......have skied some great pow days with clarky999, last season and we know the area and OP well, keen to hook up with your team for a few days skiing if you are there, be great.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 18-08-13 9:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Moshamarc?
ski holidays
Also will be in Warth 8-15 March, and St Anton 15-22 March if anyone about for similar pow days? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Markymark29, after what you told me about it, I've started the buttering up process already Cool
latest report
Mosha Marc, Laughing
snow report
Hey all, Where would you choose to stay? I was thinking for access to decent skiing and price, stuben might be a good bet, though obviously it's no Stanton in the evening!!

Thoughts?
snow report
intrested as well, please keep me posted
ski holidays
Stuben is ok, though to be honest you can be over to the Alpe Rauz bus stop from Nasserein in 3 lifts and not much more than 30 minutes (most of which is taken on Schindler's Lift)
snow conditions
Never been a huge fan of St Anton, mostly due to the waves of rude, rich, pi$$ed tourists I see on the streets and trains but if everyone is keen to go, I'm ok with it...

I only heard that stuben had the best off-piste in resort but I have no idea how boring it'll be at night, I think lech will be a little too expensive?
If we could set a favourite couple of resorts soon I will start asking around, see if there are any good deals to be had.

I don't care if you don't think you can come just throw your votes in.... to quote our beloved site, what's hot? and what's rot?
latest report
Pettneu?
snow report
Matt, Pettneu? Have you picked absolutely the most remote of all the Arlberg resorts and the only one not attached to anything else by a lift?

Also coincidently the closest to you wink
snow conditions
Cheaper accom in Pettneu, quick, free bus in to St Anton for the lifts in the morning, night busses to get you to/from St Anton for evenings/nights out, walkable at a push (or just a brutal pole along the langlauf track with your skis on). Only thing it doesn't have are open lifts (Pettneu lift company went bust a few seasons ago).
ski holidays
dulcamara wrote:
Matt, Pettneu? Have you picked absolutely the most remote of all the Arlberg resorts and the only one not attached to anything else by a lift?

Also coincidently the closest to you wink

Laughing Also the cheapest! Busses are free and convenient for everything apart from (late night) partying, but taxi fares between a group are pretty reasonable.
latest report
Yep Pettneu is a good shout, fast late buses too. St Jakob better though..... that's where we stay in January. I know plenty of decent clean b&b's there if you want any names. No 2 bus gets you to the main lifts in 10-15 mins. Just good to be out of town, and quieter at night (pi$$ heads shouting etc at all hours near Picadilly in town is a factor if you like sleep), its 15-20% cheaper than town too and better location than Nasserein IMO. If you are serious about going in January you need to get moving, places book up really quick.......I'm pretty confident you'd get doubles at 50-55€ pppn b&b, evening meals in town, so many options, tapas, steaks, quality pizzas etc. taxis are very good, no hassle late on and cheap if a group of you, 12-15€. Buses free of course.

Stuben, although great skiing is pretty dead at night, stayed there one week 4-5 years ago and it was just too quiet IMO. We prefer St Jakob, some great places for food if you don't want to go into town every night. Plus you've got the Wellness in town for a treat.

We fly MAN- MUC our flights were £90 return incl foc ski carriage, Lufthansa then trains. No need for a tour operator package, best doing it independent. Swiss to Zurich then train or Arlberg Express private transfer if a group of you.

Again if you were there 18-26 January be keen to hook up and do some big runs, list of opportunities is endless, know guides too if keen to split cost, but know safe places and terrain well, also suggest airbag if serious about getting to the best remote places, skins also a definite advantage to get to the remote valleys.

Hope this helps...........be there!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forgot to say, I'm going tomorrow for 10 nights, if you have numbers and budget in mind I could knock a few doors for you in St Jakob and see if I can spot you a deal. Would need to know numbers and likely week, 18-25 January is a cheap quiet week traditionally by the way, that's why we go at this time. also know locals with place in Nasserein. Would need an email address so can forward infodulcamara, if you want me to have a nosy about for you, PM me if you want. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
^ Yup, St Jakob is also (just about) within staggering distance back from Anton of necessary at night.
latest report
So is that the consenus? I'll hunt down the cheapest, nicest place possible even if it's a bit out of the way. If there are no objections I'll start on it tomorrow.
latest report
dulcamara, got ur PM, arrived in St Anton today, 20 hour nightmare drive door to door, never seen as many roadworks in Germany, queues like never before, no sign of lack of infrastructure spend there!!! Will make a few enquiries for you based on 10, 5x twins, wk 18-25.01.14.... will let you know how I get on by PM.
ski holidays
Markymark29, Proper twins mind non of that Austrian"twin" nonsense wink
latest report
not looking to get a little cosy fatbob???
snow report
Was thinking that odds are your takeup will not be largely fragrant ladies and hairy arsed blokes who've had a skinful don't tend to be light on the snoring at 6 inchs away.

Or that's me anyway wink
ski holidays
Ha, I know what you mean but can usually slide beds apart........don't forget Austrian beds will be 3ft wide not 2ft French jobs so f halitosis is an issue you will be OK,!. wink
latest report
Markymark29, I'm impressed that you arranged a trip just to check out the accommodation wink
latest report
fatbob, "skin full"

I VERY much doubt that will happen Blush Little Angel
snow report
i don't drink, my body is my temple.... Blush
latest report
Temple of doom?

If only it were 10 years ago, I would have been out there at the drop of a hat.

Hope you get a fantastic week.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy