Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Templar skis Kickstarter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just curious to see what other people think of these, a very different way of selling skis it appears(even ignoring the kickstarter campaign)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659993807/templar-skis
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From a quick look, I 'll say this , slick marketing and heavy skis - Yes HEAVY skis
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nothing new there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good luck to them...I'm happy to stick with DownSkis so I'm out
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, +1
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah the marketing is what really drew me, I initially thought it was a lifetime warranty for them, which seriously tempted me, but I discovered it's just the one year, still, they claim they weigh a bit because of extra strength, I won't be buying any now, by
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey guys a friend of mine just alerted me you guys had a bit of discussion about my skis here! Let me start off and say I am happy to see honest, candid feedback - and I hope me writing on here will not change that. I also want to be as open about this project of mine as possible so if you have any questions I will try my best to answer them.

In terms of novelty - the only thing I can tell you is that I have spent 2 years mathematically modeling the ski cores - and from that we learned 3 things - the wood array we have is theoretically more stable at speeds and on impact (our wood grain direction is chosen to maximize that stability so the wood is not just slapped together but rather each piece needs to be aligned). We had implemented a supplier validation process so if anything goes wrong I can trace the batch where it happened and try to correct it right away. and Finally we needed a bracing system that let us tune torsional rigidity during the manufacturing process. I also did not want to have "mystical" properties in skis - I did tons of modeling, and testing and so I try to be as open about everything. Take flex - or stiffness, that can actually be measured and so people should not be lead to believe that it is a wishy washy magical property. Stiffness is typically measured in KPa and I think most people can understand that concept and see it when it is graphed.

In terms of weight - well if you compare similar skis ( take the 185 Petard and the 182 black diamond zealot 2012/2013 model ) we had a difference of 204g per ski when we weight them on the same scale - the Petard was lighter but it also is a bigger ski in that it has a 120 underfoot profile it is a tad longer and around 10 mm wider at the tip and tail. These skis are not the lightest on the market but definitely not heavy on the heavy side of the spectrum. By the way Idris we absolutely love what you are doing for the sport - and actually thanks to your eco friendly approach we changed our suppliers both for cores and resin (one of my good friends skied your gear - Lynx). I think more people should follow in your footsteps.

The warranty, I would love to give a lifetime warranty on these but I don't know if this project will yield a successful venture - and for me to promise something like that without the certainty to deliver it would be just wrong. But I did budget a 'worry free' year. Back a few years I had a couple of my edges blow out and companies refused to deal with it (and I would be out $900 on the spot). I really wanted to have people try these out without worrying if something went wrong.

Marketing wise - I am happy you guys like them I paint on the side so I really enjoyed making something unique, but first and foremost the idea here was to get lots of people to see and try them. I would love to send demo's out to everyone but I simply can't afford it - so what I did is try to make this limited run as affordable as possible - Realistically speaking my aim was to raise a little awareness and you simply can't survive on that kind of budget, so this is really about testing the technology out.

As a side note its hard to classify these are backcountry skis - we had local racers test them last year and this year we were asked to showcase these skis during the FIS championships in Lake Louise. So if you will be around that time I would love to meet you and for everyone to try them out.

I know this is long, I apologize and if you have any questions let me know! I don't think these skis are for everyone and I don't want to force them down peoples throat - I just wanted to see if there are people that like to test new gear and give them the opportunity to have at it first, and worry free! at a fraction of what people pay typically for new tech. I recently included flex profiles of each ski and the CAD drawings so check them out!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TemplarSkis, One question regarding the naming...

Petard, I assume is meant to mean 'small bomb', but were you aware of it's use in French speaking countries to mean a splif/joint/cannabis cigarette?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes the idea behind Petard name was a bomb - As we like to say here that with it we 'bomb down runs' ,

Mais je ne savais pas qu'ont utilise ça pour dénommer un splif - c'est rigolo evidament je ne suis pas au courant du slang français mais en ma defance le français est ma troisième langue et c'est difficile de la pratiquer à L'ouest ici .
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are reviewing the Noble model from Jan's Templar lineup....stay tuned for a full review posting soon!
(Spoiler alert - The performance of the construction is superbly responsive and powerful....more to come....)

Camber!

[/img]
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's quite a lot of camber, especially when the rest of the world is going for less and less!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy