Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to start looking for something special in the Dolomites.

Poster: A snowHead
I mentioned in an earlier thread that I was looking to put together a trip that would be a bit more special for a big 0 birthday. I was looking in Austria but a poster mentioned Italy.

Looking for

Gentle Blue Slopes
Resport with some night life, a few pubs and restaurants that wont break the bank
Nice SC apartments, maybe attached to hotel that would have a swimming pool
Not more that 2 hours from airport.

I have never researched Italy, so dont even know where to start.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For gentle skiing in Italy, Covara is hard to beat, a good base to explore and not overly expensive on the slopes. We normally stay in Selva, but love the slopes around the Alta Badia, and La Frania is our favourite mountain hut.

http://www.skicorvara.com/san-cassiano.php

http://www.igluski.com/italy/corvara-colfosco_r25586

85 days and counting wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have heard great things about Cortina D'Ampezzo, but never been there. Courmayeur is nice, Sauze D'Oulx is young and lively (is the birthday 20 or 80?) and has an extensive ski area so anywhere on that circuit...I didn't like Cervinia, too open and motorway ish for me. Livigno is a long transfer. Pick up some TO brochures?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
San Cassiano............

easiest, widest blues I've come across
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We skiied in Madonna di Campiglio this year. Very impressed. Most of the runs are blue and red, and IMO many of the reds would be graded blues elsewhere. Maybe more than 2 hours from airport, but still worth a look.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for Corvara
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+2 for Corvara
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2waterford, once you have settled on a place to stay, you could ask for ideas of places to go, trips to make, sights to see in the Dolomites.
Things like a meal at Scotonis half way down the Hidden Valley. A trip to the Marmolada (and a visit to the First World War museum there). A visit to the Santa Croce chapel. A meal out at a Ladin food restaurant. A trip around either the Sella Ronda or one of the other 'tours'
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One downer -- There doesn't seem to be a lot of SC in the Dolomites
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
albob, there is enough. Pick a resort. Go to the website. There is usually a search for accommodation tab. On many resort websites you can fill in what you are looking for, dates, size of accommodation etc and email that to the tourist office. They then pass that out to local owners who will e-mail you back with offers. It works
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Corvara, Colfosco, Selva to mention a few but I think Ortesei is the ticket for you. Lots of quality apartments.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g194841-d2321220-Reviews-Apartments_Chalet_Anna-Ortisei_Val_Gardena_South_Tyrol_Province_Trentino_Alto_Adige.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Your best location for your requirements is the Alta Badia region with the resorts of Corvara, Colfosco, San Cassiano & La Villa...all with access to easy local skiing, but also linked to the huge Sella Ronda area.

You can search for S/C accommodation here:

http://www.suedtirol.info/en/Book-Your-Holiday/Search-Accomodations.html

http://www.altabadia.org/en-US/homepage_alta_badia_tourism.html

This one lists them per village, you can google the names of those that don't have direct links:

http://www.altabadia.com/en/hotels-corvara.htm

Check the location of accommodation to the ski lifts, some can be further than others.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just to add, Innsbruck is probably the best access point to this area, but it's doable from Verona, Venice & Treviso too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Easy drive from Venice - and a day there would be a lovely addition to your special trip.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some nice pics of the area here...

http://www.colletts.co.uk/winter/
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Easy drive from Venice - and a day there would be a lovely addition to your special trip.

Certainly doable from Venice and a day or two there at the end of a ski holiday is magical, perhaps could be timed with the famous Carnival in February. The transfer involves at least one moderate Alpine pass to access the Alta Badia resorts, kept open through the winter except maybe immediately after an exceptional snowfall when they can be closed for some hours until it's cleared.
snow conditions
OP I think most of the Italian resorts are 3 to 3 and a half hours from the airport. Assuming you're travelling from Ireland there are a few options (Aer Lingus to two Milan airports, Ryanprick to another one, Aer Lingus to Venice) but they all seem that far away. There are no direct flights to Innsbruck but you can get Lufthansa flights via Frankfurt usually relatively cheaply.

I have been to Cortina and ski'd a bit of the neighboring areas, definitely get the feeling the eating and walking around, as well as the scenery is as big a part of the holidays there as the actual skiing so Italy might be a runner if you're after that kind of holiday (transfer times aside).
ski holidays
8611, it's a while since I drove it, and the roads were very clear, but I don't remember Cortina being that far - google maps says it's 2 hours. 150kms. Corvara 2h 38.
latest report
Thanks for all the replies guys. Lots of homework to do.
ski holidays
2waterford, I always stay in Arabba (last 6 years) but Corvara is really nice and will have more accommodation choice and certainly more nightlife. Been to Cortina and again it's nice but off the Sella Ronda, so less skiing within easy reach. That said the town is lovely and has a lot of character. The whole Dolomites area is beautiful and the skiing is great for cruising, with some challenging skiing in places. We did the Great War ski tour last year and really enjoyed it, with the Serrai di Sottoguda canyon and it's frozen waterfalls being a highpoint. The enhanced photo below is one I took looking down into Arabba from the black run, after some mist.

snow report
pam w wrote:
8611, it's a while since I drove it, and the roads were very clear, but I don't remember Cortina being that far - google maps says it's 2 hours. 150kms. Corvara 2h 38.

You're right Pam, seems to be 2 hours from Venice which is the way I would have went (have no recollection of journey)

OP skiing in Cortina was very spread out, you'd have to be willing to drive
snow report
8611 wrote:
OP skiing in Cortina was very spread out, you'd have to be willing to drive

The two main access points are the Tofana & Faloria cablecars which are on either side of the town centre about 800m apart, there is a free bus service for ski-pass holders that runs around the town linking the main hotels and these lifts, so no need for a car. A ski bus also runs up to the Cinque Torri area a few miles out of town.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy