Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro / Contour / Action camera users...which software??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So its time to decide on a new laptop and as I am a apple user its between a new macbook air with the haswell chipset or a macbook pro retina model.

to help me decide ive looked at all kinds of stuff but I'm no closer to choosing but as I'm getting a new Action camera for mountain biking and skiing etc i thought the software used for editing might make a difference.

for example do most folk use programs like iMovie...if so i think a air would suffice
or do folk use stuff like Final Cut...then maybe a Pro might be best suited

So folks what do you cut and edit your movies with?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Use the cheapest option first an upgrade when you feel the need. GoPro's software actually does an awful lot including editing these days. iMovie is good enough for most people as well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Final Cut and a Retina Pro would be my choice if budget wasn't an issue. The new version of FC is easy get in to, and significantly cheaper than it used to be.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cheapest option is the air but it only has 4gb of ram (not upgradable)........can afford the pro with retina but it only has 128gb SDD memory in comparison to 256 on the air!!!

Decisions
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
depends on how much you have to edit, what you want to do with it, how much you want to play with it, what is was recorded on and in which format and how powerful your machine is (and believe me good laptop will do but proper editing needs smething with a bit more grunt).

So to help the following questions come to mind...

what camera(s) are you planning to use?
What format do you think you would use?
How much editing are you thinking off (simple timeline stuff, multiple streams, colour grading etc, slowmo)
How big are the MBP specs. Video editing (as opposed to taking a video and trimming it and rendering or posting to youtube) is very machine intensive particularly if you are talking 45mbs data rate.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Camera wise I was looking at the poloroid xs100 or maybe taking a punt on a coutour 2 as they will be going cheap now
format wise i'm assuming mp4
really thinking it will be limited to basic timeline stuff with music overlays
mbp specs are 2.5ghz duo-core i5 (not haswell) 8gb ram 128gb solid state hd, intel hd4000 graphics
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cant really comment on the camera as i have never used, or seen footage from. MBP spec will be okay for simple edits without too much hassle. The gopro cineform studio is free and the new version is actually pretty good, otherwise final cut on the mac is nice.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Final Cut and a Retina Pro would be my choice if budget wasn't an issue. The new version of FC is easy get in to, and significantly cheaper than it used to be.

Agreed Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The OP said they were a Mac user so why is everyone recommending 'cheap', Surely they want to pay a premium for things if they use Apple products
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy