Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel from La Tania to Cluses

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Doing some research ready for my trip this January. I need to get from La Tania to Cluses to collect friends off the train at around 19:00 in our car.
Google maps suggests the best route is via Ugine, Megeve and Sallanches but this seems to be only 10 mins quicker but half the distance of going via the motorway at Annecy.

Is the D road via Ugine etc open all winter?
Is it easier to go via the motorway bearing in mind potential bad weather etc?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RDSpearing, The D1212 is open all winter, the highest point of it is a lot lower than La Tania so you should be able to work out whether to stick to the valley when you set off.

Why are they getting off the train in Cluses ? Either Bonneville (if you take the autoroute) or Sallanches or Le Fayet would be better for you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They are getting off there as we are skiing with them in samoens the following week so looking at the map trains etc it seemed the obvious place for an overnight stop on the way.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RDSpearing, the Gorge d'Arly is a problematical road. Often shut by landslides - there are gates both ends so they can close it off easily if necessarily. It's mostly open though, and if it were open, that would be the route I would take, too - it's more interesting than the motorway, by a long way, not to mention cheaper and quicker! But yes, if you hit very bad weather on the day, the motorway might be more straightforward.

Like rjs, I don't understand why you have chosen Cluses as I don't know where the "overnight stop" fits in. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RDSpearing, OK, that makes sense. If I was driving then I would take the D1212, it is a good road.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We are staying Saturday to Saturday in la tania and Sunday to Sunday in samoens hence the need for a night somewhere!
Is cluses the best bet or does anyone have a recommendation of somewhere for a night on the way to samoens which is easy to access both by car from the tarantaise and by train from Paris but only a shortish drive to samoens after breakfast to max out ski time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RDSpearing, Hotels for a single night in Cluses shouldn't be a problem. We stayed a Saturday night in one and it was deserted. The connections with Flaine and Samoens are very good by bus or taxi from the station. As to the journey; the motorway will be easier and more relaxing - if that is what you want, the D road more interesting. Even in summer I find the gorge d'Arly hard work, especially if you are stuck behind a camper van, but the motorway is a long, long way round.

Personally I would decide which way to go when I set off - and then change my mind on the way.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RDSpearing, You should be fine finding somewhere for a Saturday night in Cluses. I can't suggest anywhere though, I try to stay here if I want an extra night in the Arve valley.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would recommend using the motorway route to Cluses in winter.

You could look at Annecy as an alternative to Cluses for an overnight stop. It is maybe 30 minutes further from Samoens but if you got up early you could still ski the day in Samoens having spent the night in Annecy. There is a Novotel in Annecy right by the railway station. From there you can walk one way to the old town or the other way to some nice modern shopping arcades...we fitted in both Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy