Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will my 6 year old son manage 107cm skis

Poster: A snowHead
This is such a stupid question to be asking a random bunch of strangers who've never seen the boy, but I'll ask anyway...

I'm just about to buy a set of 107cm skis for my son, who is around 113cm tall.
Some random website I just looked at said chin height and not a cm more.
107cm is beyond his chin.
He's pretty skinny.
Am I doing wrong?

I hope he'll grow a bit before Christmas but probably not enough that the ski only reaches his chin.

Normally I wouldn't buy them, but they were both at ChillFactore at the weekend and his brother got given 127cm skis and there's no way the big un is 30 cm taller than the wee 'un (who got given 97s) So one or other of them got the wrong size, but which one?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 25-09-13 16:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
6 Year olds are typically on 70cm to 90cm long skis.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TheGeneralist, mine was on 110s at 6. He's big for his age and had by that time done 5 weeks and was pretty handy. Depends on weight and ability more than height.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd really hesitate to put a skinny little 6 year old on skis above his chin height. He'll have more fun on shorter ones which he can turn more easily.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How was he on the 97's?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TheGeneralist, just checked back (we have heights marked on the kitchen wall Laughing ) my lad was about 128cm or so at that age.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TheGeneralist, are they twin tips? Looking back, my DD was 115cm at 6 years and 7 months and was on 100cm skis then (non twin tips). When she was 8 and 125cm tall she was skiing 119cm twin tips with no problem. We had actually bought her the 129cm skis and she could ski them but they weren't as much fun as the 119cm ones that year. Luckily she had a taller friend who had the 119s and they swapped. Everyone happy Happy The upside of that mistake was that she still skis those twin tips now and is currently about 133cm. Hoping to get another season out of them. Her other skis that she now uses at ski club are 120cm so still a fair bit shorter.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

6 Year olds are typically on 70cm to 90cm long skis

Oh dear. I have done wrong.

Quote:

mine was on 110s at 6.

Might be ok then

Quote:

just checked back .....my lad was about 128cm or so at that age.

hmm, probably not alright.
Embarassed

Quote:

How was he on the 97's?

Not too great, he tended to shoot straight down the piste rather than turn much, but that's his approach to most things.
He did most of the White Lady and the full length of the Ciste Gully down to the Car park back in April no problems at all, lots of good turns. Unfortunately I didn't note what length his skis were then.
Back in February in Arabba he managed a few reds and various other runs in his ski class no problems. But again I can't remember how big the skis were.
At Christmas he only skiid a couple of hours cos he was ill.
The year before that I've no idea what size skis he had.

hmm Might have to look at a few photos.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This link basically says for Kids up to 115cm tall (circa 6 years old)

Beginner = Up to chest
Average = Up to chin / nose
Good = up to forehead

http://www.carvingski.info/centix/de/die_skilaenge/laenge_kinderski.html
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB wrote:

LittleH_mk1 was on 70cm skis when he was 2. Was on 100cm last year at nearly five and likely will be on something around 110 this season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stuarth wrote:
DB wrote:

LittleH_mk1 was on 70cm skis when he was 2. Was on 100cm last year at nearly five and likely will be on something around 110 this season.

If he started skiing at 2 and so is a good skier by the time he reached 6 years old I can see 110cm skis fitting the bill, especially if he's a big kid.

The 70 to 90 cm ski lengths are for children who start skiing at 6 (ski up to chest height) hence the reason I posted a link in my last post with ski lengths based on heights & ability.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TheGeneralist, Tell him to MTFU & ski 'em. Twisted Evil
Perhaps not. You would never forgive your self if he injured himself. Hire & take the length recommended by the ski technician.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Our 6yo has just this weekend moved onto 110cm skis and he loves them.

(And I do as well at the bargain price we got them for.)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OP - 107cm sounds quite long to me. He's nearly identical to my son in age/height and probably weight (21kg) and mine skis 97cm after 5 weeks.
For reference, the lengths mine have used:
Daughter, age 2.5-3, weight c. 15kg, length 67cm. I'll probably keep her on this length at least for the start of next season as well, age 3.5-4.

Son:
Age 5 (0-2 weeks skiing, ESF 2*), weight c.18kg, height 105-110ish: 90skis
Age 6 (3-5 weeks skiing, ESF bronze), weight 20kg, height 115: 97cm - at this point he was skiing many of the black runs in Argentiere.
Age 7 (upcoming season, 5 weeks skiing), weight 22kg, height 120: 97cm to start, moving to 107cm during season.

My son's instructor is extremely experienced with kids (and adults!) and insistent that we don't push the ski length too hard. He's suggested we'll do a week on 97cm at the start of next season then move to 107cm.

I'd ignore any advice from the ski tech's and ask the instructor. My opinion (which is free and therefore worthless!) is that its much easier to start too short and get longer skis than vice versa.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Junior would have coped with those, the mushette not. They are both big (tall but skinny) for their age.
snow report
My oldest has just turned 7, but she's been on 110cm for a good few months now after we bought them in the sales back in May. She's 115-118cm tall (I think.. keeps growing!) and has been parallel skiing for a while and getting very competent. And fast! She's also very skinny but strong!

My middle child is 4, nearly 5 and is short for her age (can't remember how tall she is, 100-110cm I think?) but can also ski fairly well, getting very fast too, albeit not as neatly as her sister. She's on 97cm rental skis. The other week she was put onto 90s (or maybe 89s, can't remember) for reasons unknown, and basically regressed with her weight all over the place and we were told to make sure she went back on the longer skis for the next time.
ski holidays
My oldest has just turned 7, but she's been on 110cm for a good few months now after we bought them in the sales back in May. She's 115-118cm tall (I think.. keeps growing!) and has been parallel skiing for a while and getting very competent. And fast! She's also very skinny but strong!

My middle child is 4, nearly 5 and is short for her age (can't remember how tall she is, 100-110cm I think?) but can also ski fairly well, getting very fast too, albeit not as neatly as her sister. She's on 97cm rental skis. The other week she was put onto 90s (or maybe 89s, can't remember) for reasons unknown, and basically regressed with her weight all over the place and we were told to make sure she went back on the longer skis for the next time.
latest report
snowdave wrote:
I'd ignore any advice from the ski tech's and ask the instructor. My opinion (which is free and therefore worthless!) is that its much easier to start too short and get longer skis than vice versa.

My opinion is also free, totally uneducated & totally worthless but I will give it anyway as I am bored, a captive in hospital after a near death experience.
My ski instructor in L2A for my first week skiing on a mountain told me "to wind up the DIN to the max to stop my skis coming off when I fell" to save him the trouble of waiting for me to get clipped in again.
I would think it depends on the size, strength and experience of the kid. I imagine the long levers of big skis have the potential to cause greater stress on little legs.
There are plenty of real experts on this site but a remote accurate opinion might be difficult.
ski holidays
WE have always been taught between mouth and eyebrows depending on ability
Lechbob, eeek
ski holidays
TheGeneralist, I bet you're so glad you asked Very Happy
snow conditions
It all depends on their ability. Height guidance is mostly for beginners. Mini Thornyhill 2 was happy to carve the place up aged 6 on 140's. Mini Thornyhill 1 couldn't cope with 110's aged 8 in the same season
ski holidays
What littleH_mk1 really wanted last year was some big fat rockered skis. Unfortunately I've yet to convince .dot of the merits of making some Redeemers in a 110 - though maybe I should ask graeme if he has a spair pair like the ones he posted the other day ? Twisted Evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy