Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Snow School Morzine for young kids - reviews?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - we are going to Morzine in January which will be our daughter's first trip when she is old enough to ski herself. She will be 4 and 1/4. She is a bit wary of group situations especially where new skills etc. are involved, so the main ESF/piou piou won't work for her we think. The Snow School look to be the only outfit which do group lessons in English for her age group, and their website makes lots of nice promises such as small groups etc. etc. Does anyone have first-hand experience of them though - I'd be particularly interested in experiences with kids in the 4/5 age range but general reviews of them for youngish kids would also be useful. Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ElleD, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead No experience of it so can't comment but just so you know 'The Snow School' is the ESF, it's an offshoot formed a year or so ago, probably to try to appeal to the big Brit market in Morzine/LG in the face of competition from BASS and the other independents favoured by the Brits. My choice in Morzine would be BASS.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

My choice in Morzine would be BASS.

I agree, and their "mini beginner" course sounds great, but it's expensive - £243 for 4 x 2 hours. The ESF offering is probably a fair bit cheaper.

ElleD, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Might it be possible for you to get your little one an introductory private lesson in one of the snowdomes? You can gauge how she takes to that - if she likes it, and feels she has "mastered skiing" (my grand-daughter declared proudly after her first gentle slide down a green slope that "I only ski steep slopes now") then the Snow School offering might look a bit more manageable. Such a lot depends on how the first few hours go.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers for the answers so far - a snowdome taster is an excellent idea, we'll look into it. I did know that the Snow School is ESF under a different badge, and have seen many recommendations for BASS - however on their website they only seem to guarantee running children's lessons in school holidays, which we are purposefully avoiding as this is our last chance before she starts school next Sept...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

we are purposefully avoiding as this is our last chance before she starts school next Sept...

very wise. Those BASS lessons are expensive - though no doubt very good. They are €30 an hour, and individual private lessons with ESF are €42, so might be a reasonable option. I organised lessons for some little kids last Easter - four of them, with an instructor. The oldest was a 4 year old, and quite a strong and athletic girl, who got on well, but that was just for one hour - she might have managed 1.5 hours but probably not 2. In a small group there was little standing around, especially as 2 of the 3 year olds generally needed to go for a poo in the middle. rolling eyes (Mothers were on hand for that, fortunately, and there was a nice warm and clean loo just right by the nursery slope).

If your daughter is not great in groups she might do better with 4 x 1.5 hours private lessons with ESF for much the same price as the BASS offering. There are lots of Snowheads who know Morzine very well and could probably recommend a named instructor who is good with little ones. Not all ESF instructors eat small children for breakfast whilst smoking a Gauloise with the other hand, despite what you sometimes hear. wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That's a good thought too. All those Morzine afficionados our there - thoughts on specific instructors who are good with small children?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi ElleD, I can't help too much I'm afraid, but my niece and nephew did The Snow School english group lessons a couple of years ago (aged 4 and 6) and loved it (and it was a small class as promised). The only personal recommendation I could make would be for Becs at BASS who I know to be great with the little ones, but since she's the director I don't think she takes many group lessons these days..? (no harm in asking though, and I would believe her if she recommends someone else on her team). As an ex-instructor, I really wouldn't suggest one-on-one at her age, a small group or find a little friend would be much better imho.

btw, if you're still looking it might be worth asking again over in The Piste forum, you'll get a greater response there wink. Hope you all have a lovely time snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can I hijack this thread a little... We're in Morzine in December and I want to pre-book my sons lessons, he's four and a half.

I've discounted the private lessons with ESF purely on the basis that I know my son will enjoy learning more with a group of other children. The question is do I book the BASS mini beginner or book him into ESF piou piou classes. Whilst Piou Piou with ESF sounds good value compared to BASS there is very little information regarding the size of their classes. Does anyone have experience of ESF's group lessons for 3-5 years olds?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ElleD,

When you said that ESF might not be suitable for your daughter, were you thinking the classes would be too big?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi there, we've been skiing in Morzine for years and for the last three with our children, first year aged 3 and 5. In that year they both went into the ESF school which was typically ESF, very over-crowded and not particularly 'sympathetic' to new starters if you get my drift!

Anyway for the last two years, they have both had lessons with the Snow School who have been excellent. Whilst we've not been at half-term, we have been at Easter and the groups have been between 4 and 8 max and the instructors have been amazing. My (5yr old) son had a lovely local instructor called Dorothy last March who was a wonderful and I could not speak more highly of her. I would certainly recommend TSS, whilst they are a bit more expensive, in my view, you get what you pay for and as a parent, when we leave the kids in the morning, peace of mind is everything.

Best of luck. C
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
identifi,

Hi C, Thanks very much for the information. I didn't know there was a third option so I shall investigate the snow school as an option.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hang on.... I've just noticed that Sarah says the snow school is the ESF, I'm confused because ESF also have a website.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Snow School is an off-shoot in Morzine of the ESF, very different teaching methods though and a totally different experience. Run from a different building, different instructors, uniforms etc. C
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK, after receiving responses from BASS and The Snow School I have decided to go with BASS. I was disappointed with the response I received from the snow school which was very non-committal in regard to specific questions asked about their classes. This was their response.

'The Snow School offers group lessons which are adapted to each individual’s needs. We guarantee small groups with plenty of individual attention, working on technique and exploring the area. Group lessons run from Monday to Friday.'

To be honest it felt like the snow school couldn't even be bothered to provide a proper response so I couldn't be bothered to book with them. This was 221 euro's for five mornings though they didn't say how long the lessons were.

BASS were more expensive at £243 for 4 two hour lessons but at least I know exactly what I'm getting from them. Their response was very detailed and considered.

Thanks all for your advice.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
joemalone, I don't think you'll be disappointed snowHead
ski holidays
You could also look at The Snow Institute which is another British School in Morzine which is a fair bit cheaper than BASS when I used them in January.
ski holidays
Les Gets snowsports are good based in both Les Gets and Morzine all speak good English Very Happy http://www.skischool.co.uk/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy