Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2013/2014 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
Ricklovesthepowder, The higher parts of Flaine will probably have the best snow as you've found. Anyway, enjoy Cool
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We got up early today to make the best of the snow before the sun got too strong, this was a very good choice! First thing the runs were brilliant. Groomed to perfection and as it hadn't frozen overnight, still fairly soft. The best snow again was on the higher areas of the Flaine bowl. After 1pm most of the lower slopes were cut up, and very heavy. Same again tomorrow, early start, head high and we will be fine.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ricklovesthepowder, Have fun.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Today was not as warm, maybe 10/14c on the mountain. Getting up early is certainly the right thing to do as the snow is better. Many small avalanches around the Grand Massiff, one has come down onto a piste, possibly Cristal.
Few pics

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back from 4 days great skiing. As others have said, the temperatures were stupid. Lunch outside in a T shirt, slapping on the factor 30, more like being on the beach. Keeping high after midday is certainly the answer. Cascades closed on Sunday, presumably for the rest of the season, likewise Sixt. The Gers bowl was in good condition (no powder, obviously) but still perfectly skiable. We skied down to Morillion yesterday early morning, getting soft by 11am but all still open.

The good news is that snow is forecast for this coming weekend with the freezing level forecast to be down below 1,000 metres. The high temperatures have taken their toll on the snow and at 3pm yesterday afternoon there were puddles at the bottom of the Grands Vans chair. Cover is still good higher up and fresh snow and lower temperatures is exactly what is needed. Next week could be brilliant if the forecast is correct.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last day on the slopes today, and for the first time ever at the end of a ski holiday, I really wasn't that bothered tbh. The pistes now are in desperate need of snow, especially lower down with a lot of patches now appearing, and rocks sticking through in the odd place. The weekends snow seems to have fallen from 50cm, down to about 15cm, and it needs much more than that. Cascades is closed, runs into Vercland, Morrillon are also shut. Higher up the pistes are much better, but within the space of an hour, it goes from rock hard to sugar, then porridge and then sticky snow. Temperatures have been crazy this week. The colder it had been is 1c, the warmest is +19c in Samoens.

I have to say I'm very impressed with the Grand Massiff, I will certainly be back but under much better conditions so I can fully get to all areas of the ski area.

If anyone is thinking of a last minute trip over the next few weeks, in all seriousness I would wait and see what snow and temperatures do over the next few weeks. I have to say, Easter at this rate will be a big no no, with a lot of runs closed unless things Improve.

There have been a lot of avalanches as well, with a few pistes shut today. They are also clearing snow off the side of the pistes and dragging it down on to the pistes in the much needed areas.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder, Pity it's so warm, just the luck of the draw this time of year. Could be quite different a week from now. However, you've seen the potential of the GM - it's pretty good isn't it snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pretty standard fare for this time of year, any time after the first/second week in March can pretty iffy but at least the winter tyre thread is irelevant.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Pretty standard fare for this time of year, any time after the first/second week in March can pretty iffy but at least the winter tyre thread is irelevant.

I have found this last week or so much more like April than March - I have skied till the end of the season for some years and for early/middle March it has been unseasonably warm - well above average. And anyone driving round next week would be well advised to have winter tyres.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder - I think you were unlucky with the conditions this week. We were in the Grand Massif in April last year and the snow conditions were exceptionally good right down to village level in Les Carroz. There were no bare patches at all. However last year was probably a good deal better than average.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ricklovesthepowder, I agree with you about the rapid change in conditions during the morning but using cascades, Vercland and Morrillon to exemplify the situation is misleading. They are never reliable indicators of overall conditions. Cascades is sometimes closed in the height of the season and the Vercland and Morrillon runs being open at anytime is viewed as a bit of a bonus by locals.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Power day on piste today! Had an amazing time - first lift up last lift down. Snowed all last night and most of today right down to the village. Still snowing now. We arrived yesterday. Sounds like this was much needed!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

They are never reliable indicators of overall conditions

Indeed not. I've skied a few times in Flaine and those runs have always been closed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Epic last two days in the Grand Massif. Started to get very tracked out this afternoon, but with a little careful searching, some lovely stashes were still to be found. Yesterday was absolutely sublime though, probably one of the best if not the best day of skiing I've had in the Alps with no effort needed at all to find freshies!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd echo this. Sunday and Monday were absolutely superb. Tricky vis in places but was clearing out by the time we had to leave on Monday lunchtime. Great trip Thursday to Monday in which we experienced mid teens, spring snow and grassy off piste down to -5 and knee deep powder off piste with absolutely perfect on piste conditions. Spent Monday morning in Les Carroz lapping the short black Felire which was almost untracked early doors with massive pillowy bumps and a foot of fresh, combined with the top section under the main gondola which was also perfectly endowed with unmolested fresh snow. Truly one of the best mornings skiing I've ever experienced and an epic end to the season for me. Very Happy
snow report
Looks like I just missed all the fun!
latest report
Yep. Unlucky but at least you got a tan Smile
ski holidays
Arrived in Les Carroz on Friday night, and skied out of Flaine both Saturday and Sunday. Conditions on piste are amazingly good. We expected to need to ski early in the day, but until you get down to just above Flaine, there is virtually no slush even at 3pm. The snow that came last week was blown about a lot at the time and we were told that it had changed its structure and made it more like artificial snow and more resilient.

Tete des Lindars, the highest point in the whole Grand Massif, was open both days. Amazing views in perfect sunshine.

There were a lot of weekenders (car parks pretty full), so we're hoping to have the slopes to ourselves a bit more today. We'll ski from Flaine again today, as we have another lesson with the amazing Lynne Stainbrook and want to save our legs for that. Then we'll report on Les Carroz after that.
latest report
Who is the amazing Lynne Stainbrook? I would like some lessons next time I go (next season sadly)
snow report
Minnie, This is the amazing Lynne Stainbrook http://www.flaine.com/en/winter/ficheproduit-winter-flaine-ski-clinic-95-27-3.html
ski holidays
Lynne is the man! Explains well, particularly if you are after good technique and effortless skiing. The kids got a little bored with the amount of explanation but the adults lapped it up.
ski holidays
Lynne has made a huge difference to our skiing. We really only started 2 years ago, in our 50s and 60s, so we're not as agile as many beginners. Since meeting Lynne for the first time in December his technique has reduced our skiing effort dramatically, whilst increasing enjoyment in the same proportion. I think he's best for starting children (we met someone with kids the other day who told us Lynne was a big part of their decision to buy an apartment in Flaine!) and older or nervous adults. One of his favourite expressions is 'we like brakes' and for the first time on skis I now feel I really do have brakes.

He teaches almost exclusively on the nursery slope, and encourages people to take one hour of lesson on technique and then go and practice on their own. It seemed odd at first, but really works, and also makes private lessons more affordable. We've also been out on other slopes in a longer lesson a few times, and these have also been very good, but it's the technique taught on the on the nursery slope that really stands out.

Weather has remained sunny for the last few days, but overcast today. Slopes at the top of Flaine are still excellent, but things are very slushy lower down in the afternoon, and there are bare bits appearing on lower pistes in both Les Carroz and Morillon (haven't been down to Samoens yet).
latest report
Thanks for the tip about Lynne, will make a note for future ref!
latest report
Hi, looking for some advice from the regulars here. I've got a flight and car booked for five of us for next week (arriving 12th for 7 nights) but not accommodation yet as I was waiting to see what conditions are going to be. Looks like some lifts will be shutting end of this week? We've been to GM a few times before but always with good conditions. We really want to stay in Samoens as we like it so much but the skiing is going to be best in Flaine by the looks of it. Willing to drive round if necessary but does anyone know what the skiing link is going to be like with marginal conditions lower down? Four of us skiing, the kids are all good intermediate or better, I'm OK if the knees hold out. Seem to remember the blue down to Flaine from the top of Vernant is a bit tricky lower down? What about coming back at end of day? Although I suppose we could get the lifts down from Tete de Saix if it's desperate.

Any tips about best pistes, time of day etc much appreciated. I'm also thinking of booking a guide for a day to get the "local knowledge", anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.
Beep.
snow conditions
Beep, I stayed in Samoens 2 weeks ago, and the runs from the top of Flaine, down towards the Samoens express were fine. However, on the last day you could really start to see brown patches coming through. I don't know what sort of weather they have had in the last 3 weeks, but unless it's been cold and snowy, I would stay in Flaine. There was no snow what so ever in Samoens itself, and the snowlike started about 200m from the top of the gondola.
ski holidays
Beep, Having skied it today I would say you have little to worry about. However the way to to do ti is get up early and get on the GME out of Samoens by 9.15. If you go at 9.00 you will hit the ski school pupils heading up. The tricky bit you mention isn't the slightest bit tricky at that time in the morning. Nor is anything else for that matter. The skiing in Flaine is superb at moment and holds it well throughout the day. The bottom of Serpentine heading to the Grand Vans to head back to Samoens will be slushing up by 11 as will the lower return sections of Samoens.

If it stays as is you will find it much quicker to ski to Flaine than drive. Top of the GME to the bottom of Flaine can comfortably be done in 35 - 40 mins and is more fun than driving.
A guide makes sense if you don't know the area. Contact Zig Zag in Samoens and get Seb if you can.

Have fun.
ski holidays
Ian, thanks that's really encouraging, happy enough with wet snow lower down at this time of year so long as the links are skiable. I'll look up Zig Zag as well, we're thinking about the Vallee Blanche one day so would need a guide for that one!

Rick thanks too, not expecting any powder although we were in Flaine about six years ago in the spring and it dumped about a foot most nights. Samoens has a bit more than skiing to offer so we're probably heading there come what may.

Cheers all.
latest report
Was in GM last week of February and Samoens village was already snowless. Felt a bit weird seeing everyone in ski gear but no white stuff. Top of GME was fine. I would say Flaine is a better base but that is just my personal preference due to its great blue and red runs which are relatively long.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah Kenny I hear you and I'm pretty sure we'll be spending the majority of the skiing time around the Flaine bowl. It's really just down to a trade off between the convenience of Flaine and the extra hassle but better ambiance in Samoens. A typical French skiing dilemma really, and I'd probably have gone for the former ten years ago. Nowadays maximum miles under the skis is less important for me and so far the kids are OK with that as well. And if the GM links are open and skiable as Ian's suggested then even the extra convenience of staying in Flaine is not that great. We've been to Samoens a couple of times in the summer anyway so we're used to the lack of snow Little Angel We've got a non skier in the party as well and to be honest the idea of a couple of beers late afternoon in the village square in Samoens really trumps anything Flaine can offer in terms of charm. An evening walk into the Fer a Cheval at Sixt is also something we'd look forward to - stunning place!

Thanks for your reply.
Beep.
snow report
Hi beep. Samoens certainly has the village charm, particularly as you have a non skier with you. Me, I'm a sucker for French concrete - Flaine, La Plagne! �� Very Happy
snow conditions
Chacun a son gout Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Beep, why not do a half way house. If you stay in Les Carroz you get the villagey feel, but are only a few minutes drive from Flaine if the links are closed (or if you get fed up with skiing the afternoon slush home). At this time of year it's no problem to park in Flaine for €2 for 12 hours or for free if you're prepared to walk!.
latest report
Too late!! Just booked a chalet in Samoens, good last minute deal. Thanks for the suggestion though, we should really check out LC as we've only ever driven straight through, not the best way to get to know the place I'm sure.
latest report
Beep, which chalet?
ski holidays
It has rained all day here in Samoens - we didn't go up. Had a lazy DVD day instead - plus our 4&5 year olds needed a rest day! Will report on conditions after tomorrow! On the plus side - alpine gardens are open and stunning as is the town square & and the Sixt waterfalls will be epic!
snow report
Blue skies and sunshine here in GM - spring conditions but great!
ski holidays
Rick, Chalet Ambregales. Hot tub on south facing terrace above the town might just ease the slush heavy legs at the end of the day I think. Freestyle, thanks for the updates, hope you stay rain free for the rest of your stay. I'm sure we'll do the gardens and Sixt too next week.
ski holidays
Samoen and Morillon will usually be snow-free in the village by this time of year (they are only ay approx 800m) - however, the links usually remain open (albeit a little narrow and "thin") - I think this season is really going to test the pisteurs skills to the limit. The last "dump" of snow happened earlier than usual this year. The great thing about being in Sameons in April is that there is a good chance you will get 20+ degrees and a lovely sun-tan Happy
snow report
Yep, several bottles of suncream in the suitcases already. I'm assuming it's too early for the swimming pool? I think they insist on budgie smugglers anyway so not too keen even if it's warm enough. Very Happy I looked at the GM site last night, they're still saying the links will be open but we'll take it day by day. They've also reduced the lift pass prices which will ease the pain a bit, looks like I can get 6 days for the four of us for around 560 Euro.

We'll be having fun whatever.
snow conditions
Beep, Thats the attitude… make the most of whatever situation is dealt to you (except budgie smugglers - which I concur with!) Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy